Author Topic: 70 convertible inner rockers question  (Read 1191 times)

Offline opcfan

70 convertible inner rockers question
« on: June 16, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »
Years ago I purchased inner rockers for my 70 Mustang convertible. I am just now getting around to installing them and have a couple of questions:

The rocker are to long and will need to be cut back is this normal?
I know I ordered the convertible rockers but how can I know if this is what I got. I am assuming the coupe and  fastback use a thinner gauge steel in the manufacturing process. What gauge thickness should they be?

Thanks Jim

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: 70 convertible inner rockers question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:41:26 PM »
This is a major project to do and if you have never done this kind of heavy structural work I would not recommend it. The car will need to be supported properly while the inner and outer rocker are cut out or the body will sag and nothing will fit. As far as your question about the reproduction rockers, I would assume the parts will need to be modified as with most reproduction parts. The reproduction parts have gotten better over the years so if yours are really old I would recommend buying a new set and see for comparison. Good luck to you.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 12:10:47 AM »
Years ago I purchased inner rockers for my 70 Mustang convertible. I am just now getting around to installing them and have a couple of questions:
I know I ordered the convertible rockers but how can I know if this is what I got.

Assuming you're talking about just inner rockers, the easiest way to tell if they're for a convertible is that they're inner rockers. They were only used on convertibles.

+1 on Chris' comment that this is a very advanced project, even for an experienced welder.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline opcfan

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:12:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice but I am to far into the project to back out now. I have a very experienced welder lined up to weld it but I want to do all the prep work myself including tacking everything into place. I am just waiting for the rear aprons to arrive.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice but I am to far into the project to back out now. I have a very experienced welder lined up to weld it but I want to do all the prep work myself including tacking everything into place. I am just waiting for the rear aprons to arrive.

Have you started cutting old metal out yet? How do you have the car braced?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.