Author Topic: Original Exhaust Pipe Material and Color  (Read 707 times)

Offline sanluis09

Original Exhaust Pipe Material and Color
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:41:21 PM »
Hi,

I want to know which was the correct original material for the exhaust pipes on the 1965 Mustangs.....I think they were made of bare steel....I understand that except for the muffler and resonator, there were not aluminized.

And what about the color of them??? I still have the original intermediate pipe on my car, and I can barely notice, below the dirt and rust of it, that has some kind of black color. To confirm this, I have a picture of one of Bob Perkins' low mileage Mustangs (see pic attached) and you could see that same shade of black on the intermediate pipe as well as on the over the axle pipe....just the tailpipe is silver steel.

So, is this correct? So then, what type of steel was used on the pipes that has that black finish?

Thank you,
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Original Exhaust Pipe Material and Color
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
Would look like a standard section of exhaust tubing that you should be able to see at any muffler shop or at many parts houses

Bare steel with the heat stripe from the forming/welding of the sheet steel into the shape - much like drivelines. Darkening can take place when protective coatings are applied and heated like oils and other products

Believe Scott Fuller's site has a number of shots showing the "look" also

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/exhaust.html
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)