Author Topic: Inner Fender Splash Guard  (Read 7275 times)

Offline orgnl70

Inner Fender Splash Guard
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »
Any thoughts or suppliers for the flexible material that fills the gap between the front wheel well splash guard and the inside of the fender? Looks to be somewhere between thick tar paper or some sort of friction material. All ready have a source for the wire staples, just need to find this material. Trying to be factory correct.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Inner Fender Splash Guard
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:16:28 PM »
Don't they sell this stuff in reproduction form?

Originally its pretty thin rubber sometimes with reinforcement threads running through the material

Used front and rear. You didn't provide what year, when it was built or what plant your car is or we might be able to provide more info. As you can see in this mid year 67 San Jose example the front sections are different in the material they used on the top (picture) example . That material looks very similar to the material used to make the rear license plate light shield that attaches to the taillight panel under the bumper though thinner

In the picture of the rear splash shield originally the seal material would have been attached the complete top edge - it appears this car lost that at some point or when the fender was removed

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:18:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »
https://www.musclecarresearch.com/67-68-rear-lamp-shield

Muscle car research has access to what appears to be exact type rubber material used on orig splash shields.
They sell license plate shields as seen in the above link but I don't see any splash shields.

Possibly they would sell some of the material, or maybe could be convinced to make up some splash shield rubbers?

I purchased a rear license plate shield a few months ago - It matches the assemblyline stuff very well.

I sent them a message inquiring about this and will update if they get back to me.
Kurt.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:39:11 PM by 67350#1242 »
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:46:52 PM »
What are you using for the wire staples?
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:23:41 AM »
What are you using for the wire staples?
You may have a similar problem I found in the 64-66 equivalent aftermarket splash guard kits. The pre-made staples supplied in those kits were 0.062in dia which would require each hole in the metal frame to be drilled larger and then match drilled to the "rubber" material. I found my original staples were 0.047in dia so I made my own. Using 0.047in dia hard drawn wire, I cut many, many pieces to a 1 1/8 inch length, then bent them in an arbor press with a homemade die to the traditional "U" shape. You might say that's a lot of work, I had three cars of my own plus two of a friend to do. There's still two cars to go.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:30:39 AM »
I didn't bought it (yet), but NPD sells a splash shield kit rubber (16A572-2A) for 67-68 mustang and they say (quote) :
" RUBBER SEAL KIT, SPLASH SHIELD, CONCOURS, SET 8 PIECES PLUS STAPLES, MATERIAL IS EXACTLY AS ORIGINAL AND CONCOURS APPROVED, US-MADE"

Is there anybody who has purchased this? And is it correct?
Can imagine that those staples aren't the same diam. as Jim already explained.
But if they say it is concours approved, I would assume that the rubber is correct?

Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 04:27:02 AM »
But if they say it is concours approved, I would assume that the rubber is correct

When a web site or catalog says that a part is "concours approved", "MCA approved" or anyone of a dozen other phrases we so often see in ads

It means NOTHING.

IMHO it's there sometimes to identify a better/more expensive reproduction part from another in some limited cases or more often to just "fluff" sales like an infomercial. Would you believe it's usage more or less if you found the term used in a Ebay or Craig's List ad? Know a handful of people that believe that if its said on TV it has to be the truth since the government would not allow anything untruthful to be broadcast  ::)

We could fill a bunch of threads with lists of "concours" parts that may still result (if you choose to buy, install and show the car with them in place) deductions at a show.
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »
67-68 dash pads for one.

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:12:11 AM »
I can certainly have these made if I can get my hands on good originals to use as a template. If, however, NPD has already done that there's not much of a reason for me to do it, too.

FWIW I don't die cut the lamp shields I sell and I don't have the raw material lying around to sell. I work with a manufacturer who produces the shields to my specifications.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »
Scott, thanks for answering my inquiry.
Hoping someone here has tried the NPD "concours" product and can comment on the quality.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »
I have an additional question concerning the second picture that Jeff posted...
Would the black paint used on the splash shield guards be the same black paint as used at the outside off the engine bay/aprons?
To put it otherwise, if you look at the same picture (in originally state), would it be all the same black?
Thanks for clearing this out.
kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
I have an additional question concerning the second picture that Jeff posted...
Would the black paint used on the splash shield guards be the same black paint as used at the outside off the engine bay/aprons?
To put it otherwise, if you look at the same picture (in originally state), would it be all the same black?
Thanks for clearing this out.
kind regards,
Jeroen
It could be but since originally the shields were painted at a different location ,different conditions with different materials the odds of it being 100% the same are remote IMO . I would make them slightly shinier then the engine bay or aprons but that is just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »
I have an additional question concerning the second picture that Jeff posted...Would the black paint used on the splash shield guards be the same black paint as used at the outside off the engine bay/aprons?

No. For your year and plant they were painted off the car as Bob wrote and are generally (from original examples) were a glossier black that might be a result of how the paint was applied plus the source of the paint was different or at least a different batch. Compare the finish on the front splash shield in the picture provided above and notice its finish. Same provider as the rear much of the time

Jeff Speegle

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
Just a thought...
Is it helpfull for anybody that I continue with making templates (1/1 scale) regarding the correct shape and dimensions for the splash shield rubbers?
in attachment first drawing that I made from my originals...
Blue lines are the edges of the rubber, black lines are the dimensions and the red lines are the 'cut through lines'.
If not necessary, please say (I can spend my time much better on my car  ;))
Jeff, if you think it is usefull and you want to move it to another gallery, please do.
have a nice weekend,

Jeroen
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:27:26 PM by Fastback2013 »
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »
What are the dimensional units?  What is the size of the R3 hole?  I review drawings as part of my day job...just stuff I notice.

Although the drawing may be 1:1, it would be nice to know the dimensions if the printer isn't quite up to snuff.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com