Author Topic: Inner Fender Splash Guard  (Read 7274 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Inner Fender Splash Guard
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 06:59:31 AM »
I didn't bought it (yet), but NPD sells a splash shield kit rubber (16A572-2A) for 67-68 mustang and they say (quote) :
" RUBBER SEAL KIT, SPLASH SHIELD, CONCOURS, SET 8 PIECES PLUS STAPLES, MATERIAL IS EXACTLY AS ORIGINAL AND CONCOURS APPROVED, US-MADE"

Is there anybody who has purchased this? And is it correct?
Can imagine that those staples aren't the same diam. as Jim already explained.
But if they say it is concours approved, I would assume that the rubber is correct?

Kind regards,
Jeroen

OK, somebody has now purchased the NPD kit and has a report.

The rubber-like material, the size (thickness) and texture are exact. Nice and soft (flexiblle) while the old ones are rigid from age. Most importantly,it looks as though the template they use to die-cut the rubber seals from is spot-on too! This may be a FIRST for reproduction parts, somebody call the Press! (Mustang Times)

OK, now for the staples. Well, they had to miss the mark somewhere, after all...we're talking reproduction Mustang parts ;) The staples are too large and though I have not installed the rubber strips yet. The thicker staples will make the manual process much more difficult. Like Jim stated, it looks like it would be time saved to make your own staples rather than to fight the bigger diameter "toughies" that are provided in the kit. I ran into the staples issue before (coupe quarter trim felt seal) and used the wire from some temporary key ring tags I have at work (I am an auto repair shop owner). Maybe Tractor Supply Store or a hardware store has something a bit easier to use available. I need to go to Tractor Supply for other reasons soon, I'll report back if I find anything.

The rear shield seals will be going back on as they were removed...on the back sides of the shields with the staples pointing forwards on the car. (rubber 1/2 visible when installed). I have a San Jose 67 and apparently, they were putting these in backwards during this time period of 67's.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
Nice report.  Thanks Richard.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
FWIW, I've decided to replace one of my bent, destroyed San Jose splash shields with one from a Dearborn or NJ example (at least for now). After removing the sound deadener or undercoating and detailing out the pitting in a areas, I've then also reversed the dimples caused by the staples. I did this to simulate the direction change of the staples as they pierced the sheet metal since the Dearborn (possibly NJ) example had the staples going the wrong (other) way   ;) 
I will unfortunately be losing a bit of detail caused by a clamping fixture the metal stamping company used along the way. The pitting on the only other original I had was in this area and I figure the "clamping impression" I loose will be a better compromise than the badly distorted/bent one without the pitting.

Maybe somebody has a nicer one they need to get rid of? (right side rear splash shield) 10 of 66 would be AWESOME  8) ;D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »
The rubber-like material, the size (thickness) and texture are exact. Nice and soft (flexiblle) while the old ones are rigid from age. Most importantly,it looks as though the template they use to die-cut the rubber seals from is spot-on too! This may be a FIRST for reproduction parts, somebody call the Press! (Mustang Times)

+1 on this report...I've just started restoring the set for the 68 GT350 project I'm working on. The NPD kit is very good. I'm not getting too wound up over the staple size...I think it should be easy enough to drill out the existing staple holes a bit with the rubber clamped in place so you have some guide holes to push the staple through...I'll report back if this doesn't work.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
+1 on this report...I've just started restoring the set for the 68 GT350 project I'm working on. The NPD kit is very good. I'm not getting too wound up over the staple size...I think it should be easy enough to drill out the existing staple holes a bit with the rubber clamped in place so you have some guide holes to push the staple through...I'll report back if this doesn't work.

I thought I might also use the Staples provided by NPD but gave a swing (baseball pun) at making some of the Staples myself. I can get 3 Staples out of each one of the key rings. I found a total of 40 staples should be a good count with having a few extras. 13-14 rings is enough.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:35:00 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
What is the best way to fold staples over when installing?  Were they simply bent over at a 90 or was there some curve to it like you would see when using a normal paper staple gun? (that's what it looks like in Jeff's second picture)
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 11:20:33 AM »
What is the best way to fold staples over when installing?  Were they simply bent over at a 90 or was there some curve to it like you would see when using a normal paper staple gun? (that's what it looks like in Jeff's second picture)

Yes, like a typical stapler by what I have seen.

I think this detail matters a little more on the San Jose built rear splash shields (with the rubber on the rear side of the shield) since they are much more easily seen.
Pretty sure duplicating the stapled look might prove to be harder than is sounds.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:35:52 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch