Author Topic: door gap  (Read 5550 times)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

Re: door gap
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 06:22:07 PM »
If there is a tool to hold the door similar to what the factory used then it would be easy.  The problem is the darn thing is heavy and there is no place to support the door as it is placed in the opening.

Imagine you could get a ford factory door clamp on a rolling cart. With the fender removed to wheel the door into position, check the gaps, and install the upper and lower hinge. Next you remove the door clamp, and install and adjust the striker bolt, close the door and you are done!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 09:26:02 PM »
If there is a tool to hold the door similar to what the factory used then it would be easy.  The problem is the darn thing is heavy and there is no place to support the door as it is placed in the opening.

Imagine you could get a ford factory door clamp on a rolling cart. With the fender removed to wheel the door into position, check the gaps, and install the upper and lower hinge. Next you remove the door clamp, and install and adjust the striker bolt, close the door and you are done!
Several years ago, I mounted my doors by using a wooden outdoor bench with two 2x6's.  I fit the bottom of the door flange between the two pieces of wood, and the height was perfect for the car (on jack stands or on wheels with no engine...I can't remember).  Anyway, I maneuvered the door/bench combination up to the car, mounted the door to the pillar, and within 30 minutes got the door perfectly aligned.  The other side went that quick as well.  All done with only one person.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 09:57:24 PM »
Did you teach anyone a new vocabulary? Trying to align a complete door with glass is no easy feat, and even harder with one individual.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 10:04:55 PM »
Several years ago, I mounted my doors by using a wooden outdoor bench with two 2x6's.  I fit the bottom of the door flange between the two pieces of wood, and the height was perfect for the car (on jack stands or on wheels with no engine...I can't remember).  Anyway, I maneuvered the door/bench combination up to the car, mounted the door to the pillar, and within 30 minutes got the door perfectly aligned.  The other side went that quick as well.  All done with only one person.

Some creative thinking there, but here is the actual piece of equipment, and a good tutorial:
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/restoration/tips-and-trick-to-make-your-next-door-assembly-easier
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 10:42:49 PM »
Did you teach anyone a new vocabulary? Trying to align a complete door with glass is no easy feat, and even harder with one individual.
If your post is in reference to mine, no new words.  I thought about using the bench for a few days before actually doing it.  I was flabbergasted just how easy it was, considering all that I had read on various forums.  I suspect I was extremely lucky.  I did use paint sticks on the sills to set the correct height front to back.  The paint sticks were kept in place with painters tape.  After mounting the doors, I closed the door on the striker and finalized the pillar adjustment by keeping all of the gaps consistent (paint stick thickness).  The door was without glass, though.  After the glass was installed, I think I spent another 15 minutes on each side doing the final adjustment.

What was strange was that my painter used several extra washers as shims to align the door.  Once I took the door off, I decided to see how bad things were without shims, and it was damn close to perfect. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com