Author Topic: Correct Spark Plug Wires - 289, 2V  (Read 2723 times)

Offline sanluis09

Correct Spark Plug Wires - 289, 2V
« on: April 21, 2016, 03:07:24 PM »
Hi,

I can't find any topic about the correct spark plug wires installed on the 64-65 Mustangs, specially for the 289 engines. Is there only one specific design for them? Or does they have minor differences depending on the assembly plant, etc.... On NPD catalogue it seems that they should have stamped "Radio Resistance", with some stars and the specific number of each cylinder, also it appears that they should have the FoMoCo logo on each boot and that the boot must be black. But, should be the same regarding the assembly plant or the date of manufacture?.... it says that Prestolite Wire and Essex Corp were the original Ford Suppliers for these wires....so then, should have some minor differences between manufacturers?

I want more accurate information about the correct ones for a Dearborn Oct 1964, 289, 2V engine car.

Thank you,
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct Spark Plug Wires - 289, 2V
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »
Since all of the engines for all three plants and they came with the spark plugs and wires installed there would not be a variation between the plants

The markings on the wires would have been Radio Resistance and all of the long boots (for your engine and period) would have the FoMoCo logo on them

Not sure where you got the Prestolite and Essex though have seen them as the supplier for service replacements and the performance over the counter kits
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »
Since all of the engines for all three plants and they came with the spark plugs and wires installed there would not be a variation between the plants

The markings on the wires would have been Radio Resistance and all of the long boots (for your engine and period) would have the FoMoCo logo on them

Not sure where you got the Prestolite and Essex though have seen them as the supplier for service replacements and the performance over the counter kits

Thank you very much Jeff,

The information of Prestolite and Essex is on the NPD catalogue....

I wonder how difficult is to find a NOS set of these spark plug wires???  Or do you recommend me the ones that have NPD or Marti Auto Works??? Which of them are better?

Thank you,
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
marti auto supplies npd for those. i have had good luck with them.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
I wonder how difficult is to find a NOS set of these spark plug wires???  Or do you recommend me the ones that have NPD or Marti Auto Works??? Which of them are better?

There are some (not many) NOS sets around but be aware that those are service replacements and don't always match what was used on the line and could have been made years (or longer) later with changed materials or boot ends shaped differently. Being "soft" centered not sure how long the fibers last for a usable set. Sure it would have to do with the way they were stored and such

Only one maker of the wires (reproductions) you can purchase them though almost all of the suppliers or directly from the maker though I don't think its goign to make much difference in price
Jeff Speegle

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
There are some (not many) NOS sets around but be aware that those are service replacements and don't always match what was used on the line and could have been made years (or longer) later with changed materials or boot ends shaped differently. Being "soft" centered not sure how long the fibers last for a usable set. Sure it would have to do with the way they were stored and such

Only one maker of the wires (reproductions) you can purchase them though almost all of the suppliers or directly from the maker though I don't think its goign to make much difference in price

Jeff, you're right. I have never seen an "assembly" NOS set of spark plug wires (with the correct stamping and boot color)....so, as you said, I have only the option for the ones of NPD.

Just for your reference, my father had stored these spark plug wires for a long time ago....you could see the date interval where he used them on the car....these are Motorcraft used ones but with the correct black boot color, although, I think they are not correct for a 65 car, right?.... but here I come with another question: Would you prefer to buy a reproduction set from NPD or would you prefer the Motorcraft ones as the ones on the pics?

Thank you,
Luis

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 07:31:36 PM »
Would you prefer to buy a reproduction set from NPD or would you prefer the Motorcraft ones as the ones on the pics?

The current reproductions the Motorcraft ones where produced much later, markings completely different as are many other details.
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »
Most "official" NOS parts are functional replacements, they work but are not exactly like the assembly line used. NPD gets their plug wire sets from Marti Auto  http://www.martiauto.com/ plus Marti has other items you might need, hoses, belts. Consider buying from the source.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
The Marti reproduction wires are as close as you will get, though they aren't accurate . The assembly line wires has different color markings on one side. White and red/orange on the other.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!