Author Topic: 1965 - 1966 NJ (Metuchen) Factory Assembly Line Radiator Styles and Applications  (Read 4343 times)

Offline rocket289k

New thread started to discuss 1965 - 1966 NJ (Metuchen) Original Radiator Styles, Vendors and Applications.  Points to discuss:

- Different Radiator Models per application (e.g. AC, No AC, Auto etc.)
- Is the factory AC radiator unique and does it break our normally accepted notion of a Dearborn or Metuchen radiator
- Strap Types
- Part Numbers Locations

I'm specifically interested in late July 1965 Metuchen Build timeframe for a factory AC car with automatic transmission.  However, I'd like ultimately have this discussion across both 1965 - 1966 should there be differences. 

My understanding is that the Dearborn style radiator is characterized by square shoulders on the tank straps.  San Jose style radiators are characterized by having rounded tank straps + the rad tag part number & W-MO and a date stamped into flat spot the tank. (see San Joe example below for a Manual Transmission car). 

I also found an example of a radiator purported to be Dearborn radiator (Radiator 65 V8 Dearborn, auto trans, DEP C4ZE 8005 - M2, date 4ED) which I'll provide images of as well.  I would have expected to see the radiator information stamped on the driver's side not the passenger side. This particular radiator has rounded corner tank straps like the generally accepted shape for a San Jose radiator.  In addition, general consensus is that the Dearborn style of radiator has rounded square corners.    This particular radiator doesn't match my timeframe but the top of the tank straps are similar to those on the radiator in my late July 1965 Metuchen built factory AC car (with some minor exceptions).

However, here's the wrinkle that I will present.  My working theory is the the factory air conditioning radiators were unique and break the general consensus of the type and style we would generally expect.  Having said all of that - let's begin the discussion.

Regards,

Ron

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:35:05 AM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I also found an example of a radiator purported to be Dearborn radiator (Radiator 65 V8 Dearborn, auto trans, DEP C4ZE 8005 - M2, date 4ED) which I'll provide images of as well.  I would have expected to see the radiator information stamped on the driver's side not the passenger side. This particular radiator has rounded corner tank straps like the generally accepted shape for a San Jose radiator.  In addition, general consensus is that the Dearborn style of radiator has rounded square corners.    This particular radiator doesn't match my timeframe but it's a deadringer for the radiator in my late July 1965 Metuchen built factory AC car (with some minor exceptions).

Ron I'm assuming that the pictures you posted are from this example you mention

A few things I notice when comparing it (basically the side strap and the stamping) to know originals is the following

1- The side strap in your pictures has a notch for some reason half way between the two mounting holes that I can't find on the originals I have pictures of

2- The design of the fonts are different - most notable  IMHO is the number 4  Then there are issues with about three other digits that don't seem to match as well as the hesitation marks.  ::)

Here is the one you posted and some examples I have for comparison. In any cars I hope yours is not a "a deadringer" for the one in the picture :)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rocket289k

Ron I'm assuming that the pictures you posted are from this example you mention

A few things I notice when comparing it (basically the side strap and the stamping) to know originals is the following

1- The side strap in your pictures has a notch for some reason half way between the two mounting holes that I can't find on the originals I have pictures of

2- The design of the fonts are different - most notable  IMHO is the number 4  Then there are issues with about three other digits that don't seem to match as well as the hesitation marks.  ::)

Here is the one you posted and some examples I have for comparison. In any cars I hope yours is not a "a deadringer" for the one in the picture :)

Thanks Jeff - My radiator doesn't seem to have any stamping on the sidestraps (at least that I can see with it installed in the car). To answer a question asked earlier the tank strap is rounded (but different from the San Jose design in that the end curve is squared off).  I've attached a picture for reference (passenger and drivers side).

PS - I agree that the font and the kerning in the samples that you have vs. the example I provided are definitely different. 

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:28:50 AM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline sgl66

Thanks Jeff - My radiator doesn't seem to have any stamping on the sidestraps (at least that I can see with it installed in the car). To answer a question asked earlier the tank strap is rounded (but different from the San Jose design in that the end curve is squared off).  I've attached a picture for reference (passenger and drivers side).

PS - I agree that the font and the kerning in the samples that you have vs. the example I provided are definitely different. 

Regards,

Ron
I pulled one of those squared off curve radiators from my car many years ago. I'm guessing it was a Ford service replacement. The original owner of my car kept service records and looking through them saw he was dealing with a radiator leak around 60k miles. There are no dates stamped in the tank or W MO, just flat.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:54:28 PM by sglbbs »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline rocket289k

Thanks for all of the input guys - especially @Autolite.  Do you have additional images of a date appropriate radiator for my late July Mutuchen Built car?  Based on all of the input I'd conclude that I have a service replacement rad.  This is thread has been very educational / helpful. 

Regards,

Ron

Offline ChrisV289

Here is a 10 of 64 radiator
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Here is a 10 of 64 radiator

Western Modine

From a NJ car?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:48:21 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

Not sure originally what car it was in. Got it from a guy in Australia.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Not sure originally what car it was in. Got it from a guy in Australia.

Looks most likely like a radiator out of a Milpitas/San Jose built Mustang. Since you got it from Australia that is a likely supporting fact
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

Firstly, this thread is both very interesting and informative. Thanks guys.
I hope that I am not digressing too much here but my radiator strap is dated 5KB (Oct 65 2nd shift) and my tag is dated 5HC 23 which I presume is August 23rd, 1965 3rd shift.
Does this mean that the tank and core were made first and then the straps 2 months later?
Do we have any other records to support this kind of time frame?
(See signature for specs)

PS. Autolite - you already have my strap info and have used the picture in this thread above in a previous response. This is a clearer picture of the same radiator - just so as you do not double up.  ;)
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

Same month, interesting.
Wonder if the numbers you have on the tags go up to and not past 31? Could be an indication of the date maybe?
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)