Author Topic: 1970 Hardtop Trunk mat CA emissions  (Read 3873 times)

Offline 278horn

1970 Hardtop Trunk mat CA emissions
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
Hi,
I'm new here so maybe I'm not using the search functions correctly. I'm looking for advisement on replacing the trunk mat on my 1970 Hardtop with California emissions. I would like to know which mat is correct and whether the CA emissions made any difference. Also, any pictures that can be provided as correct examples would be helpful.

Thanks!
Todd
1970 Hardtop 351c4v 4spd. 12/69 San Jose build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Hardtop Trunk mat CA emissions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »
Todd welcome to the site - we hope that you find the site useful in your concours related needs

Your going to get this allot but (just in case it makes a difference) When and where was your car built? There is always (they did in prior years) the chance that the two eastern plants used different suppliers for the mat than San Jose and could change during the year.

Get back to us with that and I'll see how close we can get to an exact match and answer

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 278horn

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:11:59 AM »
Sorry, I assumed all EEC Mustangs of that era were San Jose.  It is a 12/69 San Jose build.

Thanks for the reply!
Todd

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:09 AM »
Dearborn built bosses with ca emissions .   You will have to trim a regular mat out on the lh front side & bigger hole by filler neck to be correct for 70 ca. emissions

Offline 278horn

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
I appreciate the information. Are there any pictures available that depict the lh cutout?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 08:08:02 PM »
Sorry, I assumed all EEC Mustangs of that era were San Jose.  It is a 12/69 San Jose build.

Dearborn still built some regular Mustangs that were delivered originally to Calif. Then you have the Boss 302's and since Dearborn was the only plant to build convertibles those also

In any case the cut outs for the underlayment and the mat can differ between the two plants. Though I have found plaid mats in 70 San Jose cars the speakled still seems the vast majority of the finishes

Here are you two 70 San Jose examples. Underlayment size and placement will differ between standard coupes and Grandes

Hope this helps

Also as an extra :) the drivers side pinch weld does not use the regular rubber protectant strip but instead is uses two very short pieces of windlacing instead. You can see the upper on in the picture below the evap mounting arm welded to the wheel house and one behind the other plastic vents near the taillight panel
Jeff Speegle

Offline 6770shelby

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
This explains why I could never get my trunk mat to fit. 2 questions, was the underlayment used underneath the mat? And does anyone have a template of the cut lines or any more pictures. I ask because I'm on my third mat, and these guys are expensive.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 07:20:50 PM »
............ 2 questions,

was the underlayment used underneath the mat?

And does anyone have a template of the cut lines or any more pictures. I ask because I'm on my third mat, and these guys are expensive.

Depending on what model the car was but it appears that all models got the underlayment over the gas tank section at least. The original material had a "punch out" area in the mat design. You can find examples of underlayment in cars with out California emission systems with that section missing as shown below. On coupe models such as Grande's the underlayment is larger and covers more than just the top of the gas tank

Sorry no original examples handy here to get a pattern from  :(

Jeff Speegle

Offline 278horn

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 11:45:12 PM »
Jeff, Your help is appreciated!

Offline 6770shelby

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »
Slightly different question, but for a GT-500 with the evaporative emissions would the trunk mat underlayment be the same type and thickness as shown in your how to article? And is the trunk mat itself be 1 piece or 2 separate pieces, it's difficult to tell from the pictures.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:32:29 PM »
Slightly different question, but for a GT-500 with the evaporative emissions would the trunk mat underlayment be the same type and thickness as shown in your how to article? And is the trunk mat itself be 1 piece or 2 separate pieces, it's difficult to tell from the pictures.

Believe so

*But note that in my examples of those cars (70 Shelbys with the Calif Evap system) the areas  covered and the mat changes - since the thread is listed in the 69-70 Mustang section ;) Not that many California true 70 Shelby's (as compared to 69 conversions) so great untouched examples are difficult to find

In general all of the underlayment was made to the same thickness and was one piece for the trunk from everything I've seen, though touching, moving or attempts at removing the old stuff will produce multiple pieces either along pre punched lines or just anywhere it chooses

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:38:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »
great pictures Jeff......I always wondered what a Cali car mat looked like with the emissions...

my 70 convertible San Jose appears to have the original trunk mat but not the emissions setup ( i have since added back) but my mat is not cutout for the tank part.....

late build date of June 1970
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
great pictures Jeff......I always wondered what a Cali car mat looked like with the emissions...

Reply #5 ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »
Interesting posts and thread here.  I have seen the 1970 Boss302's and the Boss429's with the CA emissions, but the trunk mat is not cut.

Jeff,  So it looks like specifically on the San Jose examples (non Boss cars) you have in your photo library that they are all cut like this? 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »
Interesting posts and thread here.  I have seen the 1970 Boss302's and the Boss429's with the CA emissions, but the trunk mat is not cut.

Jeff,  So it looks like specifically on the San Jose examples (non Boss cars) you have in your photo library that they are all cut like this?

Looking back through the collection I can provide the follow summary

1- Most of the 70 Non Boss Dearborn examples that were built with Calif Evap had no mats left after all these years only the underlayment. The one original example I have did not have a trimmed mat at the vapor return attachment All body types

2- On 70 Dearborn built Boss 302 I have picture of that came with the Calif Evap most again didn't retain their original mats but the few that did match your observations

3- No NJ built Mustangs nor Boss 302's that I have pictures of had the system originally

4- On San Jose cars I have pictures of that were originally built with the Calif Evap system all of the mats were trimmed like those shown above. Of course sampling is always limited and not allot of cars still have their original mats nor do I have pictures of the trunk space for all the cars I have pictures of  All body types

Back to the Finals on TV  ::)
Jeff Speegle