Author Topic: Black for dipped parts - 65 San Jose  (Read 1661 times)

Offline livetoride60

Black for dipped parts - 65 San Jose
« on: April 15, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »
What finish of black do you use for parts around the engine compartment such as the hood latch support, horns, shock tower tops, shock tower braces, etc....gloss black, semi gloss, or low gloss?

It looks like those parts were dipped, and on some of the restored cars they look semi to gloss black.

Thanks,
Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Black for dipped parts - 65 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
On 65 San Jose parts I can't think of one that was dipped - visible runs and buildup on edges as evidence - that I've ever seen.

Originally all of the pieces you mentioned would have been done semi-gloss but since each was painted at a different plant (or most of them - check the stampings) different days with different batches of paint there was likely a range of how glossy or flat each would have been

No on "restored" cars that is another thing.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:06:17 PM »
From what I've seen, dip what will fit in a paint can of semi-gloss black, primarily alternator brackets. Long items can be handled with a pain of bent coat hangers to dip one end, remove, hook the painted end and dip again to cover everything. A quart should be enough. If you need something longer, try a short section of PVC pipe large enough in diameter capped at one end. Support it well. I used a Kelly-Moore custom blend semi-gloss black for dipping. I think it was about 40 percent gloss. I needed a gallon for dipping upper "A" arms. For horns, after you make them work, stuff a chunk of foam rubber in the throat, mask the terminal and spray paint semi-gloss black. Do that sloppy so you get a run or two and it sets. The same for the hood latch, brace and bracket. As long as there is a slight difference in gloss between the black components and the engine bay you should not have a problem. The hood latch brace and bracket would be close to the engine compartment. Ford had a range of gloss so multiple vendors could be used. In other words, whatever was cheaper. Different brands of semi-gloss black paint should also give a different appearance. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
On 65 San Jose parts I can't think of one that was dipped - visible runs and buildup on edges as evidence - that I've ever seen.
Horns. The "coil" of the horn has heavy buildups of paint. You see this when removing the old paint. The had some type of plug (rubber) on the bell. On the alternator brackets there is a drip at one end from the paint and gravity.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

I assumed dipped on those parts because on all they showed signs of heavy runs when I stripped / blasted the original paint....hood latch support, shock tower tops, shock tower braces, and horns.  Maybe they were just heavily coated with spray?  Anyway, sounds like multiple flavors of semi gloss will do. 

So here's the difference between the engine bay and a couple parts I did semi gloss.  Definitely a visible difference.  Is that too much?
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:17:24 PM »
What I could find was what they call 70% gloss. There is actually a paint code for it. I think it's Ditzler 9000. If you need it, I will gladly pull the can and post the code for you.
However, being parts came from many suppliers, I have no doubt the finish from item to item varied is the level of gloss.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »
Horns. The "coil" of the horn has heavy buildups of paint. You see this when removing the old paint. The had some type of plug (rubber) on the bell. On the alternator brackets there is a drip at one end from the paint and gravity.
Jim
Have seen the runs on the out side believe that it was a heavy application of paint by spray due to all the angles and corners that needed to be covered. Never have seen evidence of a plug when stripping these on the inside of the bell.

Of course any part spray painted with a heavy coat could produce runs and edge build up also so not sure that the evidence proves either process
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 08:56:42 PM »
Jeff,
Based on the two sets of 1967 horns I am in possession of, I am sure they were sprayed. Black is thin and runs easily.

-Keith