Author Topic: Interior Quarter Trim Screws  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Rainier42

Interior Quarter Trim Screws
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:00:59 PM »
Would anyone know what the finish is supposed to be for the interior Quarter Trim Screws ( i.e., for Quarter Trim Panel and Trim Corner).  This is for a 1970 Dearborn B2.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Interior Quarter Trim Screws
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
Believe chrome zinc plated small heads
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 05:47:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike Bauman

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »
It seems that there is some controversy as to the type of screw and the finish for the lower screw on the front fiberglass trim panel in the rear seat area on a 1970 sports roof........I was under the impression that the lower screw was a countersunk Phillips with a bright finish (chrome or zinc).  Others have suggested that this screw was a pan head Phillips with a zinc dichromate (gold) finish.
Anyone with a definitive answer....please chime in! .....thanks, Mike

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »
I looked up the rear interior of a 70 Sports roof in the 70 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual (AM 0032 page 38) and if your description of the area of concern is good, the screw is 55934-S9, 8-18X3/4 oval head 17/64 dia , Phillips, with a bright zinc finish. There are 7 on each side holding the panels, looks to be a commonly used screw.
I recommend that you get a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals to assist you with your car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »
It seems that there is some controversy as to the type of screw and the finish for the lower screw on the front fiberglass trim panel in the rear seat area on a 1970 sports roof........I was under the impression that the lower screw was a countersunk Phillips with a bright finish (chrome or zinc).

That is what I've seen on the upper trim pieces and the front quarter panel covers as shown in the pictures below

Don't know of any other place screws were used - lower edge uses bolts like earlier years

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:40:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike Bauman

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
Jeff, thanks for posting pics. In the 3rd photo the lower screw is the one in question.  My feeling is, "typically" on a 70  the screw is a countersunk Phillips with a bright zinc finish as pictured.  Does a 69 sportsroof have a different screw in that location? 

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:53:37 PM »
The ones on my car are phillips,oval and appear to be chrome.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »
Mike on the (69 rear panel anyway) that lower screw hole (in jeffs 3rd pic) that lower hole isn't tapered like the hole above it so that screw isn't tapered & flat on bottom head & a little bigger dome shaped as that panel is thin in that area . I researched this years ago in both 69-70 assembly manuals but never could document this as may have been a running change or plant issue since both 69 & 70 rear panels have c9zb eng #s the upper windlace area was notched out more on 70 to eliminate that 69 little triangle trim plastic.  Hard to doc this on a b9 since KK workers added the posi cable on rh side so those rear panel screws may not have all got back in place like at Dearborn plant but lh side should be unmolested area.  The assembly manual says in 70 model lite or dark interior screws so has anybody doc a late 70 black int. car with the dark screws change?

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
Mike....in my opinion zinc dichromate screws on the 70 panels is not typical or mentioned in any documentation that I have.  So I would not put it on my car unless you have some proof it was originally that way from day 1.  This is for any of the trim screws in the back interior including the two you were asking about. 
I think Ed mentioned he has seen on some 69 cars that lower screw being zinc dichromate and I have seen pictures of this as well on some original cars.  But have never seen it on a 70. 

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »
.............. Does a 69 sportsroof have a different screw in that location?

Would not consider even looking since if it does match it still does not confirm what was used in 70 and if different it doesn't effect the outcome either since its a different year and plant

Think you'll find that allot of people share and discuss details but lump allot of years and plants into the mix - IMHO just making the waters muddier :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
Great info, thanks all!

Offline hopey

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 10:55:14 PM »
assembly manual says in 70 model lite or dark interior screws so has anybody doc a late 70 black int. car with the dark screws change?

Bumping this one, has anyone documented dark (S2) finish on dark interior cars vs the (S9) finish as called out in the Osborne assembly manual drawing?

Specifically asking with reg Dearborn built mid-November 69 with black deluxe interior and also Dearborn January 1970 standard Dark Ivy.

Copy of the assembly drawing with the note on S2 versus S9 finish:-
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 01:34:37 PM »
- has anyone documented dark (S2) finish on dark interior cars vs the (S9) finish as called out in the Osborne assembly manual drawing?
Copy of the assembly drawing with the note on S2 versus S9 finish:-
The two different finishes "seem" to be a logical choice by Ford for trim screw "55934-Sx" ("1970 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual", AM0032 pg38, items "A" and "D") based on interior color. Whether this was done or not is the question. Assembly lines have been know to "substitute" hardware to "keep the line moving". To further "add confusion", AMK supplies both finishes. There is no help from Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) Soft Trim Section or interior trim illustrations for both 1969 and 1970. (Note: There is no 1969 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual). The accompanying pictures of previous posts do not cover all color combinations.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline hopey

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2023, 02:58:40 PM »
The two different finishes "seem" to be a logical choice by Ford for trim screw "55934-Sx" ("1970 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual", AM0032 pg38, items "A" and "D") based on interior color. Whether this was done or not is the question. Assembly lines have been know to "substitute" hardware to "keep the line moving". To further "add confusion", AMK supplies both finishes. There is no help from Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) Soft Trim Section or interior trim illustrations for both 1969 and 1970. (Note: There is no 1969 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual). The accompanying pictures of previous posts do not cover all color combinations.
Jim

Jim, exactly! I have looked through all my own photos and the Forums unrestored section, and for those showing the quarter panels screws they all appear to be S9 finish. I personally have not seen any S2 on an unrestored example. So the question remains, did Ford ever use the S2 fasteners on the darker finish interiors in 1970?

1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 04:40:17 PM »
To further "complicate" this topic, the -S9 clear zinc verses the -S2 phosphate requirements finish note appears only on the fold down seat diagram (ref "1970 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual" AM0032) page 38 and does not appear on the fixed seat diagram, page 37. (Decisions, decisions.)
Jim