Author Topic: Door Jamb Vent Grille  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Rainier42

Door Jamb Vent Grille
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »
Anyone know if the door jamb vent grille for the SR models are reproduced?  Can't seem to find them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:49:28 PM by Rainier42 »

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: Door Jamb Vent Grille
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »
I don't think they are, I've only ever seen this restomod repro:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-Ford-Mustang-Polished-Door-Jam-Vent-/310326063364?vxp=mtr&hash=item4840dff104
Don't give up on your originals if they're bleachy looking, just refinish them:
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-resurfacer-matte-black-aerosol.html
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »
Plastic on mine is good ... it's the rubber flaps that are deteriorating.  Is there any way to replace just those?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:19:02 PM »
Don't give up on your originals if they're bleachy looking, just refinish them:
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-resurfacer-matte-black-aerosol.html

The originals (plastic outer section)  were not matte in finish on the cars I've seen. The cars I've seen and owned they were shinny and very smooth. Have used Back to Black on those with decent IMHO outcome if they have started to break down just get some replacements

Plastic on mine is good ... it's the rubber flaps that are deteriorating.  Is there any way to replace just those?

Never tried but since you can't see the back side you might look at taking off the old flaps are replacing them with new material I sure would try. But, for me, that is the fun part of restoring - figuring out new processes or ways to accomplish the finished look we're seeking

Ifs funny how often you can find something in your everyday life that will work for a project like this. I know I've used milk cartons and margarine containers to make parts for some of my projects - as an example 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »
The originals (plastic outer section)  were not matte in finish on the cars I've seen. The cars I've seen and owned they were shinny and very smooth. Have used Back to Black on those with decent IMHO outcome if they have started to break down just get some replacements

Never tried but since you can't see the back side you might look at taking off the old flaps are replacing them with new material I sure would try. But, for me, that is the fun part of restoring - figuring out new processes or ways to accomplish the finished look we're seeking

Ifs funny how often you can find something in your everyday life that will work for a project like this. I know I've used milk cartons and margarine containers to make parts for some of my projects - as an example

Replacements ... that's the issue, not sure anyone is making these.

Will have to pull one off again and take a real good look at the back ... the vent is pieced together with a thin rubber sandwiched in between.  I believe I can come up with a rubber replacement but will need to figure out how to separate the plastic pieces without breaking anything.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »
Replacements ... that's the issue, not sure anyone is making these.

I was thinking donor car rather than the catalog and credit card solution.

Since these are normally very protected from the elements and the sun the ones I see (unless scratched up by a PO) are almost always perfect

Just my first go to solution - but that is me :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
For a project like this I would agree, find some nice originals from a donor car or a swap meet or junkyard.  I dont think they can easily be taken apart and replaced. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:32:51 PM »
........  I dont think they can easily be taken apart and replaced.

Yea but I can think of at least a couple of guys that would try ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67shelby

• Just jackin' around
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »
I think you can "fix" them.  They do pop apart, and I think a sheet of some sort of black plastic in between and then cut with an exacto knife around three sides of each vent.  I'm going to try, just haven't come up with anything plastic yet to try it with....
Lorne Willard - MCA 38287

1965 GT Coupe, 1966 Convertible, 1967 Shelby GT350, 1968 Coupe, 1970 SCJ Mach 1,2003 Mach 1, 2007 Shelby, 2013 GT Vert
MCA Certified: 65-66 Concours, 67-68 Concours, 69-70 Concours, 71-73 Concours, 65-66 Concours Shelby, 67-68 Concours Shelby, 69-70 Concours Shelby, OD, DD