Author Topic: 1970 coupe 302 2v power steering brackets  (Read 5479 times)

Offline AndrewOscar

1970 coupe 302 2v power steering brackets
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:29:09 PM »
Hi Guys

1970 coupe windsor 302 2v no air-conditioning and water pump has inlet on drivers side

I need to know what bracket was used to mount the cast adjustable bracket that holds the power steering pump to the water pump

I have some pictures of what I believe it should be but can someone identify the correct piece, what it had when I brought the car was a large cast piece that seems correct but the bracket was a modified alternator adjusting bracket completely dodgy and wrong..

Im doing this from Australia, just moved back from living in California

see attached photos

I have the one in the photo called  351  boss 302 1970 in the photo but it also suits my F code engine im lead to believe,   cast heavy metal.

What im missing is an associated bracket you can get between the large cast piece and the water pump, its also in a photo there. (seems very different from 67 -69 set up...)

the one in the photo is a special one apparently expensive even second hand but apparently there are some unstamped ones as well that will do fine same shape... if indeed this is what im missing..

but also attached in 1967 - 69 version supposedly, the bracket and the cast alloy mount,  im confused with why the change between 67-69 and then 70

and what should I have..

thanks in advance guys

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 coupe 302 2v power steering brackets
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:27:37 AM »
Did you look at the pictures of the unrestored 1970 unrestored car in an older thread. It's a F code, PS non AC example with some pictures of the PS pump area of the engine compartment,

It's a start but we can post more if needed.

Search feature is your friend. Try 1970 unrestored F code

Should provide some idea of mounting hardware, brackets and finishes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:13:50 AM »
Totally amazed,,,, I found it like you said and its answered every question I had on the power sterring and then some I did not know I had..., even down to the colour of the power steering pump, but mines black this ones teal blue.

that's a complete freak, I have the same window wiper connection to fit and fix and the rubbers near them... that exact photo, I wondered where they went...

But the alternator mount is not as I imagined.. not even in the same bolt hole in the head....

. I have the spacer but not that extra little thing behind the spacer on the head, part is the dipstick holding bracket but there is something else..?  hmm that one im not sure on but that's enough for now..

that's just gold...

Thanks Mate..

I mean J Speegle,,, I printed it out and im going out to the garage... its still light here 630 m summer  so I have daylight left..

thanks again.. im glad you took those pictures...

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:05:24 AM »
Hi Guys

two more questions if I may..

1.  re the power steering pump, I cant find any identifying code to determine if its the teal blue or the black provider of pumps,

the post says on FAQ ( this site rocks b the way )

Supplier                     Identification                                 Pump Color
TRW                    On tag – “W” 2nd digit in bottom line   Black                         
Ford Thompson           On tag – “F” in center line          Teal/Blue

so where is that tag? 

and my other question is the pictures you directed me to..    totally spot on, the alternator bracket on the head, then a spacer..what is that bracket..thats what im missing

I have the bolt the spacer but no extra bit on the head there between spacer on bolt and the head...

really appreciated...

and mine was gong to the outermost bolt hole..clearly wrong, not the inner head hole closer to inlet manifold as the picture shows..

makes me question my current alternator bracket too because it appears to line up with the outer bolt hole...? im still lost there..ill have another look at mine and stage it up and see where the bracket sits and where the nend bolt pivot hole seems to line up with. might have wrong bracket...

but your picture looks exactly like what I should have

cant believe in one day two posts you have all the answers......  and more i did not even know i had..

ive wasted hours and hours trying to work this out myself.. and got it wrong...

thanks heaps guys

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:54:06 AM »
re the power steering pump, I cant find any identifying code to determine if its the teal blue or the black provider of pumps,
the post says on FAQ ( this site rocks b the way )  ......so where is that tag? 

Originally (a metal label or tag) on the back side of the pump and was held on to the shaft (where the pressure hose attaches in the center) by a large thin nut
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:42:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »
Thanks Jeff

so the letter is stamped back there on the pump near the thin nut at the back right ? :)
 I hope mines a black one and not a blue..i just finished painting it :) but I did notice you guys even paint the pully a different colour to the black of the pump...kind of a satin matt black/ grey pully. so I should do it again...

how do you get yours so clean and straight before painting? I found it really hard to get the pully off and gave up...

its now dark, ill pull it off in morning and check it out for the letter... cheers for that

the alternator side is still wrong..since I learnt today from you guys.

but I managed to stage up the power steering and the alternator and get some photos before it got dark... this should highlight the alternator side issue I have that your photos show im missing something I did not even know I was missing :)

ill upload photos later to show the alternator side. that's now the issue.

the power steering side you guys solved I just need to get the bracket and its done. so thanks for that, still amazed at that actually..freaky.. this site...just totally knowledge plus

the alternator side ill upload photos because that will show clearly the bolt hole it wants to go into and what appears to be missing is the spacer on the head some kind of bracket in the photo you took I attached to the last reply before. The alternator side of head you have a picture that  shows some bracket there, but there is only the one shot of it...I printed it out actually and sat it on the car...

it shows alternator side of head and it appears to have an additional bracket bolted to the head that then the bolt and spacer for alternator locate into, I don't have that either.. the special bracket I don't have..i just have the bolt and spacer....

pictures to follow.

hope that makes sense my description of alternator side and some special  bracket on the head that the alternator pivot bolt and spacer bolt into....

hope my Australian drawl makes sense...

the spacer on the car before was a long socket that had been sawn off to size and drilled out to take the bolt... but it looked like a chrome spacer to go with the chrome alternator and rocker boxes and everything so I did not know till I started replacing the chrome with real original blue tin work

thus here I am and the questions.. im amazed it worked as well as it did with all the dodgy spacers and stuff they did..

the original spacer and bolt I brought from mustangs plus showed me that there was definitely about an inch almost short on the alternator lining up with the crank pully, and this was the long spacer they made that achieved it..because they were missing that bracket on the head.. , that's the theory..

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
Hi Guys

one last on this,

it seems I ran into a problem, the photo shows a correct part but I cant find the exact part number for 1970 302 2v windsor

I've researched it and I come up with a few part listings.

D0ZA-3C511-A says its boss 302 1970

D1OA-3C511-A says its for 1971 -1973

but looks identical to the 1970 part

my question is do you guys have easy reference to what is the correct part for 1970 302 2v Windsor.

the boss labelled parts are four times the price of the other parts and I don't need a boss part.

thanks again, its a lot easier for 67 -69... 1970 is difficult.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 11:06:08 PM »
None of my pictures show the engineering numbers (too much stuff in the way)

Only thing I can think of is I know where two F code 70 convertibles are being redone. So there has to be two of those sitting on a shelf when I stop by next time.  Only way at this point to make sure what they used originally
Jeff Speegle

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 11:34:11 PM »
thanks Jeff , I really tried hard  yesterday and today before I asked, and I appreciate your help

ive been on phone all over Australia and now a few usa calls and even usa came up with interesting results.

I got told because the Windsor was in use beginning of 1970 and Cleveland was coming in during year
several different power steering parts got made. some for 351 Cleveland and some for 302 boss and 351 Windsor ( these supposedly suite 302 2v)
and again of all these some had stamps and some had no stamps

and concourse boss 302 ones are 4 times the price of a normal one or un stamped one..... so I don't need for a stamped one or a boss one save that for someone who really does...

so 1967 -1969 was quite stable

1970 changed whole power steering mount casting etc.. and Windsor Cleveland mix thrown in add a boss or two and a one yr manufacture run and that's the issue with 1970 power steering brackets, also the bolt diameter increased for 1970 yr for the main bolt for power steering to block bolt.... so there were some changes for 1970 beyond just the bracket shape..

if I get lucky and 1971 -73 are ok to use that's great, lots of them out there but they look different, adjustment slot is not as long

since I have to buy from usa to fix this and ship it out I need to know ive got the right parts.. :)
thanks again

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »
Jeff I may have struck gold   part number D0AZ-3C511-E

chasing more info... but the description was 1970 ford 302 not marked as boss or anything

and interestingly its not that boss 302 1970 part number . so maybe this is the missing link, and the price was around $60 not $200 so that's all making sense, all the boss 302  ones are $200

part number D0AZ-3C511-E

the boss 302 ones are coded   D0AZ-3C511-A

But as I said before they look identical... but looks can be deceiving..

As a side note I also noticed  the 1971 definitely has a smaller adjusting slot in it and a different part number..

D1ZA-3C511-AB 

pictures attached for reference

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 10:45:48 PM »
Might as well include the info shown in the May '75 MPC. Note that this is service part info, with not much info on production part numbers. It may provide some clues, but there's no guarantee that it reflects original assembly.

Note in the Fairlane section ("B"), D0AZ-E is listed as service part for D1AA-CA. The same reference is listed in the full-size vehicle section (previous page, I did not include it). This suggests that you may be looking for a bracket marked D1AA-CA. However, it's possible that the D0AZ-E was used to service other parts, so this is not a guarantee. As Jeff mentioned earlier, the assembly manuals should be consulted, along with field observations.

F = Mustang applications.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:53:02 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »
Thanks WT8095

this is all helping very much, I think I finally found my part.

Im just on the phone to the usa now actually.. discovered this in an advert, these guys are looking to buy these parts as well as sell the one they have. so clearly there is a shortage and thus money in this particular part..

so this may be the one I buy but I wanted to share the information before I hand over the cash. its a lot more in Australian dollars.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0az-3c511-a.html

note the D0AA  reference here and D1AA you mention

The advert is from cougar parts catalogue.

This new for 1970 bracket, is also to be used in conjunction with the all steel "C" shaped pump mounting bracket. Not to be confused with the 351C or Cleveland bracket. The engineering # stamped on the part is D0AA-3C511-D and the MPC lists the part # as D0AZ-3C511-A. This is a rather hard part to find as most 1970 - 1971 Cougars came with the 351c. If you have any of these for sale or trade we would like to hear from you.
For restoration purposes, this bracket was factory painted satin black.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 07:14:48 PM »
Thought you were looking for a bracket for an F code not a 351? That would be a -E (part number) not that -A listed in the link you included in your last post and the 75 version of the MPC shown above.

Think you'll find that the brackets were originally semi-gloss black or P & O

Did get an opportunity to take a little drive and get pictures of a fairly original (can see a couple of things that have been replaced) 70 F code PS engine

Looks like the challenge is that this correct/original bracket was not stamped or marked on the surface like other versions from what I could see. Last visit they had one more 70 F code but apparently that one got picked up. Interesting that the shape differs from the first one shown in response #9. Guess if the holes and ends are all in the right spots the difference in shape may indicate a different supplier for the later service replacements that your picture appears to be
Hope this helps

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:27:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
Yes your right Jeff and thanks for your efforts.. I've called a few suppliers now in usa, no luck.

Im definitely looking for F code engine (302 2v Windsor) sorry for confusion...its just all the adverts talk about 351

the issue is I called the guys in usa Oregon cougar shop and he has two brackets,

one is for 351 Cleveland or 302 Boss      D0ZA-3C511-A

the other is for 351 Windsor D0AA-3C511-D

what he cant tell me is if the 351 Windsor would also work with 302 Windsor..   I don't know what the physical difference is between the 351 and the 302 Windsor, the water pump will be the same, its the power steering side that might differ

does anyone know that bit of the puzzle, if they are the same ill just buy this part and hope shes ok..  but its $ 228 Australian with shipping that's expensive.

so im stuck again there,  Ebay as well seems to have dried up when searching for D0AZ-3C511-E

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=D0W%20power%20steering%20bracket

would one of you guys mind me giving you a phone call about this I believe I really understand it now just want to confirm. Call wont cost you I call to usa all the time to talk to my mates there..

Offline AndrewOscar

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
Ok this looks like the list

http://www.mustangservicecenter.com/inv1213a.htm

M      D0AZ   3C511      A      70     BRACKET P/S PUMP 351W ADJ           

]M      D0AZ   3C511      E      70     BRACKET P/S PUMP 302 EXE BOSS    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!XXXXXXXXXXXX  This is the one

M      D0ZZ   3C511      A      70-71  BRACKET P/S PUMP BOSS 302  351       

M      D10A   3C511      AA     70-71  BRACKET P/S PUMP BOSS 302  351       

M      D5DZ   3C511      A      75     BRACKET P/S PUMP ADJ 302             

M      D8TZ   3C511      D      78     BRACKET P/S PUMP ADJ                 

M      D9TZ   3C511      A*     79     BRACKET P/S PUMP ADJ