Author Topic: Correct AIR Cleaner for early 67 SJ A Code  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Rossco

Correct AIR Cleaner for early 67 SJ A Code
« on: December 30, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »
Hi everyone

I have a 67 Mustang F/B from San Jose November 66 build and would like some information on the correct air filter assembly it would have originally, I am unsure it would be the chrome racing style or the larger blue housing with a snorkel
She is and A code 4v
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:03:16 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Correct AIR Filter for early 67 SJ
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:12:29 PM »
It depends if your car came with Thermactor or not, what exact air cleaner lower housing would be used, but an A-code would certainly be a painted blue and have the snorkel/heat shield over the right hand (passengers side) manifold. My understanding is, there was an optional chrome lid available on later Sprint Coupe's, even on the two barrel as part of a Springtime promotion of sorts, but that would not be originally installed (or available) on an early A-code. If your DSO is 71 (Los Angeles) or DSO 72 (San Jose), then there would be Thermactor nipples on the front & rear of the air cleaner lower housing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:00:19 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
If your DSO is 71 (Los Angeles) or DSO 72 (Sacramento),
DSO 72 (Sacramento)? It would be San Jose.
It depends if your car came with Thermactor or not, . . . then there would be Thermactor nipples on the front & rear of the air cleaner lower housing.
Almost all 66 289 air cleaner housings had the rear fitting. That may have been a San Jose plant peculiarity to reduce inventory items as Ford knew that in 67 all air cleaners would need the fitting. For non-smog applications, a rubber cover was used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Rossco

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
Thankyou Richard

Offline Rossco

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »
Jim thanks for the information would I be able to get the rubber cover from NPD etc?

Ross

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
DSO 72 (Sacramento)? It would be San Jose.
Jim

My-bad! Fixed ;) Thanks! (Tomato/Tomatto :D)

Jim thanks for the information would I be able to get the rubber cover from NPD etc?

Ross

There are many air cleaner housings that have NEITHER nipple on them, available presently/often on eBay, those would be correct for all 67's w/o the Thermactor smog pump system (with open emissions). The ones with the nipples are a bit harder to find at times but also available regularly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:14:29 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »
DSO 72 (Sacramento)? It would be San Jose.Almost all 66 289 air cleaner housings had the rear fitting. That may have been a San Jose plant peculiarity to reduce inventory items as Ford knew that in 67 all air cleaners would need the fitting. For non-smog applications, a rubber cover was used.
Jim

There were a number of other states that would have required the closed systems without Thermactor,  that I've seen - believe one was New York so need to check
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rossco

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »
I have just looked at my Marti report and the DSO was 42 Fargo

Ross

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
I have just looked at my Marti report and the DSO was 42 Fargo

Should be fine with an open system for that region
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rossco

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 06:04:17 AM »
Thanks Jeff I'll get the assembly out of the store bin and restored  :)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 08:39:02 AM »
Ross, maybe there is some confusion on Jeff's reference to "open system"? Open system does NOT mean to say "open, visible air filter element" as you initially pictured. The chromed "open element" air filter housing was used only on K-code, high performace applications.

"Open Emission System" are still a snorkel base with heat shield wrapped around the exhaust manifold when it comes to the C-code AND A-code engines. The "open emissions" aspect is the style of crankcase ventilation used meaning "How is the oil breather cap vented, open=to the open atmosphere, closed=to the air cleaner housing by means of a vent hose on the breather cap that runs to the air cleaner base.
Richard Urch

Offline Rossco

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
At present it has the breather cap with hose to the air cleaner Richard, I assume 'Closed' I have a 289 air cleaner with snorkel from California in corporation blue which seems now to be the correct assembly?

Ross

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
Here is a "OPEN [emission] system" air cleaner assembly on a car with factory installed Select-Aire air conditioning. No hose from the oil fill breather cap to the front of the air filter base. Though it is on Marty Rupp's 289 2 barrel car (built 11/4/66 if I recall correctly), it is a Non-Thermactor car (originally sold outside of California) and has the same air filter housings and heat shield as the A-code with open emissions (what the original poster would be looking to use).  The 2 barrel just has a different label on the painted air cleaner assembly lid.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:11:26 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
At present it has the breather cap with hose to the air cleaner Richard, I assume 'Closed' I have a 289 air cleaner with snorkel from California in corporation blue which seems now to be the correct assembly?

The snorkel was standard on all 4V and 2V 289s that year no matter where it (the car) was shipped. Its the small hose nipple that is the difference on the base section.

67gtasanjose posted a good representation of what your looking for  though we can discuss the breather decal in another thread ;)
Jeff Speegle