Author Topic: 1970 Metuchen paint markings and decal placement  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Rbisch4

1970 Metuchen paint markings and decal placement
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »
Looking for photos of 1970 Mach 1 mustangs with correct Metuchen assembly line paint markings and decal placement.  351 4V if that helps further focus build date 10/69.
1970 Mach 1 351 4V 4spd Metuchen Built

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Metuchen paint markings and decal placement
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:46:56 AM »
Looking for photos of 1970 Mach 1 mustangs with correct Metuchen assembly line paint markings and decal placement.  351 4V if that helps further focus build date 10/69.

For paint marks allot more info is needed. Like what transmission, AC - nonAC, PS or nonPS, what wheels and shaker? These should be all that is needed - or at least all I can recall at the moment

Guessing that it is not a California emission equipped car.

Should be able to provide a few standard ones but it can often take a number of  hours to get a complete listing or close to a complete listing.

Decal location pictures to follow next - after collecting, cropping, sorting and labeling them ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:56:26 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
Your help is much appreciated.  Not a central book anywhere that contains this info not to mention things were not done the same at each plant.  My 70 was built 10/69 in Metuchen.  351 4V standard rear axle am radio 3.0 ratio rear end.  Dark Green ivy exterior color ginger interior with a wide ratio 4-spd.  Non/AC with power steering.   I am however making a few changes like adding a shaker, louvers and spoilers as period correct changes.  Any other detail needed please let me know.

Rob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:51:16 PM »
Your help is much appreciated.  Not a central book anywhere that contains this info not to mention things were not done the same at each plant.

There have been some attempts but lets hope there are no more attempts.  Too many chances IMHO to have bad info or migrating information from one year or plant to the other.

My 70 was built 10/69 in Metuchen.  351 4V standard rear axle am radio 3.0 ratio rear end.  Dark Green ivy exterior color ginger interior with a wide ratio 4-spd.  Non/AC with power steering.   I am however making a few changes like adding a shaker, louvers and spoilers as period correct changes.  Any other detail needed please let me know.

OK - great we can do some good with that. Don't expect to get a ton of marks - more drabs and dribbles but you can always add more if you choose rather than apply the wrong ones and be responsible for those :(

With that said I hope that everything else on the car is or is going to be prefect. Its a waste IMHO to take the time to add this gingerbread and "decoration" (since its not required for most classes)  when there are solid factual errors on a car. Sort of defeats the purpose of a restoration.

So how far are you on the project - engine or drivetrain in?

------------------------------------------------

So for the decal part of your request

Don't have any pictures of exactly where they placed the battery inspection

Air cleaner engine size is pretty typical on top of the lid but your changing to a shaker so that one is for other 70 owners viewing the thread in the future

Air filter replacement decal as usual is on the drivers side of the base

Service spec decals appears to be typically on the front drivers side inner fender panel as shown in these pictures

0T106672

0T11562x

From a little later in the year - 0T119752

Engine ID sticker on the drivers side valve cover

Think there should also be an emission decal likely on the drivers side valve cover but could not find a good picture in my files of one at the moment
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:12:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »
From a late 70 NJ M code 4 speed buildsheet

Driveline - (Front to rear) Green - White - Yellow

Front shocks - White

Rear shocks - Violet

Front sway bar - Green & Yellow

Front springs - 1 Gold & 1 Orange

Rear springs - 2 Yellow and 2 Brown

Idler arm, Pittman arm, Center link -  Yellow

Believe I have more - so convince me you've got all the important details covered ;)  But that is the basics
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »
Jeff:  Thank you for such great detail. I am restoring to a very high level and learning a ton between the close working relationship with the shop I am working with and folks like yourself.  I get my hands involved more and more as I have time and that has been the best part having that type of working relationship with the shop.  I am all in on doing this right to enjoy.  A couple pics attached.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:17 PM »
OK sounds great. We might need to double check on the finish of the vacuum advance and the finish/direction of the bolts (on a NJ car) across the top of the radiator support .

But your pictures do also provide an idea of where your at.

Going to need to add the rotation number before you get all the front sheet metal one - will post

And not sure if you can still apply these but here is a couple of engine mount related ones.

These two OK stamps suggest that inspectors used both the O-K and OK during 70 on 351 C's

Of course this is produced with a solid lettered stamped pressed really hard against the surface
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »
One more question since you have been so helpful.  Looking to verify the front shock tower bracket color as well as the hood latch.  Typically on Boss 302's from 70 the hood latch which is painted a grey color on my car is correct, but want to double check that color for the Mach as I have seen black like the engine bay.  Also, tower brackets were raw if I am not mistaken, but again I wanted to double check as I have seen black as well.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:17:05 PM »
One more question since you have been so helpful.  Looking to verify the front shock tower bracket color as well as the hood latch.  Typically on Boss 302's from 70 the hood latch which is painted a grey color on my car is correct, but want to double check that color for the Mach as I have seen black like the engine bay.  Also, tower brackets were raw if I am not mistaken, but again I wanted to double check as I have seen black as well.

Since your car is a NJ car the sheet metal parts (shock tower supports, battery tray, hood latch support, ... ) are semi-gloss black like San Jose cars and different from the batch/slop paint used Dearborn examples. There are a fair number of cars where the owner/restorer copied the wrong car/plant. Its a plant detail not a difference in models

As for the top front shock brackets (referred to bee hives for some reason by some) those are phosphate and oil  - like the hood latch

Now that you have the colors - use the search and previous posted pictures of marking so learn where and how those colors were typically applied. Example there is an article in the library covering drivelines as there are threads for that as well and shock and spring markings

Will check for some more marks in the days to come
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:21:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »
Here's a bonus mark for your four speed's mount. Also don't forget the rotation number on the drivers side of the radiator support ;)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:49:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 11:53:06 PM »
Any good examples of the rotation marks you can share?  We are reprainting the support and it will be some time before the front end goes together, but I want to get that done.

Thx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
Any good examples of the rotation marks you can share?  We are reprainting the support and it will be some time before the front end goes together, but I want to get that done.

One that was shared with me. Correct number for your car (1-999) can be found in the upper left hand corner of your buildsheet.

Only one I've seen on a 70 NJ car

Jeff Speegle

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
Jeff, any chance you would have paint markings for my 1969 Mach 1. Built in April of 69 in the Metuchen plant. It is a 390 S code car, c6, 325 open diff, ps,pb, non Ac. The only change I am making is swapping in a top loader. I have found the correct tagged RUG M3 for the car. Funny, all reference material says that coded top loader is for a 69 390 car. No other year and motor had that tag. Interestingly, there is green paint on its belly which looks to read "cj 2". There is a partial numbers stamp on the tranny skirt. David keep explains that as a common practice with high performance granny's. Is it possible the line workers just grabbed the wrong tranny or put wrong paint marks on it?
Any insight and pics/info would be great.
Thanks
Rags

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »
Sorry Jeff, that's David Key, high performance trannys . Darn auto correct.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
Jeff, any chance you would have paint markings for my 1969 Mach 1. Built in April of 69 in the Metuchen plant. It is a 390 S code car, c6, 325 open diff, ps,pb, non Ac.

Will send you a PM. Since I don't have access to a similar car's buildsheet there would be some missing (at this time) sections. I would suggest that those be added later ;)
Getting a bit off thread in this one

........... I have found the correct tagged RUG M3 for the car. Funny, all reference material says that coded top loader is for a 69 390 car. No other year and motor had that tag. Interestingly, there is green paint on its belly which looks to read "cj 2". There is a partial numbers stamp on the tranny skirt. David keep explains that as a common practice with high performance granny's. Is it possible the line workers just grabbed the wrong tranny or put wrong paint marks on it?
Any insight and pics/info would be great.

Not really high performance related in 69 by that year all transmissions 3 speed, 4 speed and autos were stamped in early years (prior to 68 only 4 speeds (no matter what engine they were attached were suppose to be stamped

The (what you made out to be CJ2) marking may be something else - not unusual to find only part of the marking and they often overlap one another - but in my experience that location had little or nothing to do with the application but instead the assembler, inspector  or something else that was part of the process. Quick identification (rather than looking at the tag) was provided by the ID stamp on the drivers side and later at the plant (read some plants) by the ID being applied to the top cover.

Jeff Speegle