Author Topic: 70 White shaker finish question  (Read 2888 times)

Offline cobrajet_carl

70 White shaker finish question
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
For the white stripe shaker, is the scoop entirely white or does it have black between and/or on top of the ribs? I have only seen restored examples and have seen a few different versions.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:59:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 White shaker finish question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »
I'll check my pictures to see what they show. Been so long since I've seen an original don't recall
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:59:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
An old post on another forum with a few leads you might be able to track down:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/316054-1970-mach-1-white-stripes-white-shaker.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:59:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
Checked my pictures and the only examples on a car, are restored cars :(

These pictures were represented as NOS examples - take that for what its worth. Don't recall shaker scoops NOS in the box having a seal installed.
Now that I've given it some thought there was a display at Perkin's shop at one point (could still be there) that had what was likely a white shaker that looked like the one in the pictures

IMHO if I were looking at other sites for research I would suggest the 428CJ site over Vintage.

OF course "facts" get mentioned one place - seen - then repeated over and over so got to be careful ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:28:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
IMHO if I were looking at other sites for research I would suggest the 428CJ site over Vintage.

OF course "facts" get mentioned one place - seen - then repeated over and over so got to be careful ;)

That's why I represented my post as "leads to track down". At least two people ("Mark_at_TH" and someone known to Scott Hollenbeck) were mentioned who owned cars with white shakers. Members "'70Mach" and "69bossnine" also claimed to own and have previously owned (respectively) cars with white shakers. Tracking down and contacting those individuals MAY lead to some old photos or useful information. A very long shot on a 14 year old thread, admittedly.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
Was not an attack on your post and especially NOT on your intent to help here.

Just taking the opportunity you provided to comment on the differences that can be found between forums and age of threads as you mentioned from that post.

Allot of us here were members on VFM and I had been with them and the original owner since it was in the email list stage so had allot of time invested over there before we left and took this opportunity
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »
Was not an attack on your post and especially NOT on your intent to help here.

Just taking the opportunity you provided to comment on the differences that can be found between forums and age of threads as you mentioned from that post.

Allot of us here were members on VFM and I had been with them and the original owner since it was in the email list stage so had allot of time invested over there before we left and took this opportunity

No problem, I didn't take it as an attack. I was just clarifying that I was not endorsing any information on that page, but instead providing a remote possibility of some leads. I thought maybe I didn't make my intent clear enough in my first post. I do that a lot.  ::)
Dave Z.

Offline bkm3062

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
Hello.

Just stumbled upon a '70 Mach 1. Ordered the Marti Report and learned that it came from the factory with the shaker and white stripe option.

So that means the shaker was also white. The car has had the shaker removed, a standard hood scoop attached in place of the shaker trim ring, and is sporting a standard air cleaner.

I doubt that I can find an original white shaker scoop. Was considering buying a black one and having it painted white.

Have you had any luck determining how the scoops were painted? I've heard of and seen different methods of painting those.

Any information that you have would be helpful!

Thanks.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:15 PM »
I will probably paint it like the one pictured above. Is the black between the fins the same low-gloss textured black that was used for the black stripes? I would think so but want to be sure.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »
I will probably paint it like the one pictured above. Is the black between the fins the same low-gloss textured black that was used for the black stripes? I would think so but want to be sure.

Don't think it was a textured paint - more like the 69 blacks in finish look. Think trim ring since it was painted by the provider rather than stripe painted at the factory
Jeff Speegle