Author Topic: Approx Timeframe  (Read 1418 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Approx Timeframe
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:43:27 PM »
Looking to stamp the battery ok decal on my dad's Hertz and would like to know approximate date range that would be on the decal.  The invoice is 03/24/1966  when it was shipped from Shelby to Hertz in Miami.  How long did it take to convert a K code fastback to a Hertz car?  The sheet metal stampings are anywhere from December to January (not sure if there are any February or not).  Jeff, you have the full Ford VIN number as well to assist. 

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

Re: Approx Timeframe
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 12:13:52 AM »
The battery check, and its stamp, was one of the last things done at the San Jose plant, before the car was shipped. I doubt that any sheet metal date codes would help except to indicate the stamp was done after that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
True the sheet metal codes don't matter but since they don't have a dataplate on them either I can't go off of schedule build date either.  So since I have the invoice date work backwards to get the approx date it would have maybe left San Jose.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
I would suggest using the Smart-Haskell "Mustang Production Guide" and check your VIN against those numericly close to it. Then estimate your build date by others with VINs on either side. Obviously since they are not built in order, you will only be guessing, but IMO, there isn't going to be any better way.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »
Just my opinion but I would go with the stamping date model then add some days (get to that in a moment)  rather than the projected date just because there is the chance that your projected date may be before some of the stamping dates found on your car. Been seen before.

Here is how I do it.

Giving some lead time for rail transportation across the country for many of the parts by comparing the stamping dates to the real build dates we have access to in 67 at San Jose around the same time as your car to take into account weather conditions and other possible situations that might occure annually. Yes there could be other things (work actions, rail routes that are better or worst that year,......) that could be different between the two years but IMHO its the best option with what we're given.  Would be interested in how others would get a more likely correct guess - really :)

So for Chris and his specific question - do you have any specific dates? Lets say the easy ones

1- Any of the inner fender panels on the front of the car.
2- From sway bar mounting brackets
3- Rear bumper supports attached to the taillight panel and the trunk floors
4- What is the latest date you've found?

From there we'll see what the best guess (based on what you provide here or in a PM) might be for a date for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)