Author Topic: '67 A/C Vents for Interior  (Read 3352 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'67 A/C Vents for Interior
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
I've wanted to add A/C to my '67 coupe for a while now.  It's not a factory air car, so I need to find all of the A/C vents for the interior.  My car does have the deluxe interior, and I was wondering if the A/C vents differ any between standard and deluxe interior?  It seems like the vents would need to have a brushed aluminum insert to match the dash, but is that just an insert that comes off?  Is the actual assembly interchangeable between standard and deluxe?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline ruppstang

Re: '67 A/C Vents for Interior
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
Yes it is.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
Great, thanks, Marty!

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
Yes it is.

Hmmm...I know for sure the DELUXE are removable inserts, I wasn't thinking the standard, camera-case finish was an insert. I could be wrong about this though I suppose.

All 3 parts of the deluxe interior AC vents have an insert, (or two for the center vent) inserts that are removable.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
Hmmm...I know for sure the DELUXE are removable inserts, I wasn't thinking the standard, camera-case finish was an insert. I could be wrong about this though I suppose.

All 3 parts of the deluxe interior AC vents have an insert, (or two for the center vent) inserts that are removable.

You're right, I think we're all on the same page.  If you peel the deluxe inserts off, will it be the camera case underneath?  That was always what I kind of suspected.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »
They are interchangeable from a functional perspective, but not aesthetics.   The deluxe ones do indeed have removable inserts, whereas the standard camera case versions don't.  If you are looking for them, they some up for sale on eBay pretty regularly.  But to find them not all pitted up can be a challenge.  There is quite a price difference that is commensurate with quality.

I've got a couple sets in the shop, and will check later.  I'm almost positive that there is no camera case below the aluminum "face".  There certainly is none on the instrument cluster, the piece over the glove box, or the non A/C - non convenience control center piece.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
You're right, I think we're all on the same page.  If you peel the deluxe inserts off, will it be the camera case underneath?  That was always what I kind of suspected.

Short answer: NO  It is just chrome, I replaced the inserts in my deluxe AC vents about a year ago.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
So for completeness in the 67 interior decor category there are nine different pieces that go into five different dash locations.  From left (driver's side) to right:
1a Heater or 1b select air control
2 instrument panel
3a flat (plain) or 3b convenience control or 3c select air center piece
4 piece above glove box
5a flat (plain) or 5b select air extreme right hand side piece.

Items 2, 3a, 4, and 5a are two piece. The base is chrome plastic with square holes. The aluminum piece has tabs that stick through the holds and are folded over to make one assembly.

The other items are chrome plated plastic or steel and have brushed aluminum trim stuck on with adhesive.  There is no black camera case surface lurking below.  I have seen some done that way and they stand out against real ones.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
Keep in mind I'm talking about factory parts.  I understand that the 80's and 90's version of the instrument panel might have had a glue on aluminum appliqué.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »
The AC vents are all the same whether standard or deluxe. They either got the black camera case appliqué if standard or the bushed applique for 67 and the wood grain for Deluxe 68. The dash parts are a different story.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
Marty,

Makes perfect sense, the base chromed metal is substantial in a few ways including design and weight.  I did not realize that it was just a simple applique change.  Then again I don't think I've ever owned a camera case version.  I had one deluxe woodgrain 68 set but sold that years ago.  Thanks
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 10:39:36 PM »
A side note is the 67 RH and LH outlets are one piece castings. The 68 version has a removable vent assembly. The control side was very prone to breaking do to how thin the frame was surrounding the vent. 

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 06:28:58 AM »
The AC vents are all the same whether standard or deluxe. They either got the black camera case appliqué if standard or the bushed applique for 67 and the wood grain for Deluxe 68. The dash parts are a different story.

Interesting. I never tried to look for any appliqué inserts on camera case standard interior cars I had worked on before (years ago now).  I did know the parts for the side vents differ for 67 & 68 (one-piece for 67, 2-piece for 68) but wasn't ever aware there was an appliqué used for the camera case version, those used on the standard interior vehicles.

Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »
I found a couple pictures of the Standard Camera case version of the AC controller & Right register. It sure looks like decals in these pictures but something else to note on the AC controller, the Deluxe version is chrome-faced around the lower portions on my example. Read as not blacked out around the levers. Full conversion would require a careful stripping of the black areas without smudging the portions around the lettering.

I grabbed a picture of mine w/o the blacked out area and stole one from John's earlier post to demonstrate the blackout area better of the camera-caes version.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:32:37 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
I found a couple pictures of the Standard Camera case version of the AC controller & Right register. It sure looks like decals in these pictures but something else to note on the AC controller, the Deluxe version is chrome-faced around the lower portions on my example. Read as not blacked out around the levers. Full conversion would require a careful stripping of the black areas without smudging the portions around the lettering.

Thanks, Richard.  I've looked several times, and I understand what you're saying, but it's hard to make it out in the pictures.  So the area around the levers is blacked out on the camera case version, but is chromed on a deluxe version?  I guess that area is meant to match--black to match the black camera case, and chrome to match the brushed aluminum.