Author Topic: How to match transmission to car?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline sparta

How to match transmission to car?
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:41:10 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm wondering how it is you match a three speed manual transmission to a mustangs vin tag to see if its the original trans or not. Its a 1968 mustang.

Thank you!

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
Re: How to match transmission to car?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:35:26 AM »
I believe there should be a partial vin stamped on the transmission similar to the engine block.
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline preaction

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 12:05:53 PM »
I believe only high performance cars had the vin stamped your best bet is to find the date code on the trans and match that to your engine date, they are normally very close together.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »
My understanding is that all engines and transmissions started receiving VIN stamps starting in 1968, not just the high-performance units.  I believe it was a federal mandate to combat theft.

If the transmission is stamped, it should appear on the top front lip of the trans, where it is very difficult to see when installed in the car. You may have luck spotting it by looking down the back of the engine from above, if you can squeeze an arm down there to wipe away any grime, and with a good flashlight. 
Here is an example from my '70 4-speed, but the location and format/layout should be similar ~ could be stamped anywhere along the top lip though, and may be solid and clear like mine, or weak and haphazard.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline sparta

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
Great new! I was indeed able to find the stamp reading which matches my vin! thank you Mike and everyone else!

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »
Great new! I was indeed able to find the stamp reading which matches my vin! thank you Mike and everyone else!

Very cool!  That is always a plus :-)

Be sure to take pics to add to your files, if possible.  That will be good to have come sale time ~ or if you need to prove it for any other reason.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
Toploaders were partial and sometimes full vin stamped prior to the federal law starting in 1968 to stamp all engine assemblies . I have a small block Toploader with a vin for a 1966 Comet with a 2bbl 289