Author Topic: Body measurements  (Read 1870 times)

Offline austr6

Body measurements
« on: November 12, 2015, 01:43:33 AM »
Just asking if any one out there has detailed accurate measurements for upper body and side door aperture measurements for the 64.5 to 66 Mustang fastback. I have the lower chassis rail and under body measurements , but really would like to have anything relating to the upper body, specifically the door apertures.
Please see attached example of the detail im looking for in particular the door apertures.
Thank you.
Richard.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:43:58 PM by austr6 »
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Auto ,Air conditioning, Power Steering
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Body measurements
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
Have never seen anything like that published. Given when these cars were built and repaired the best you could find was the "frame" measurements offered in the shop manuals. Everything else was done by manual fit, in some cases a frame or jig and by sight. Give the time period really no way to measure that things were as accurate compared tp today with frame machines, lasers and such

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:47:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
Hi,
does anyone want to share his measurements, I need distance between shock towers, between lower arm bolts holes as between sway bar bolt holes or front frame rails holes, nearest to radiator support pan.
Thanks in advance
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 01:54:09 PM »
Read Jeff's reply. The service manual for your year car are the best source. I doubt any accurate frame measurements can be made as 50 plus years of wear and tear change everything. To keep my front end "reasonable", I have a Ford service export brace and an aftermarket Monte Carlo Bar, both are easily removed for show purposes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 05:52:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply, measurements are indicators with their tolerances, am I wrong saying that on 50 years lots of people have measured them precisely.
For instance, using export brace, monte carlo bar or strut bar will not avoid that the front end could be rising or falling, but of course possible to do it that way and get a good result too.
Thanks for your support and help
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 06:50:38 PM »
There were tools that the workers used in the first part of the assembly, things like jigs and the like along with an on going quality checks but I've never seen any of these documents nor am I aware of any being shared with the community.  So for measurements not covered by the shop manual we are left with comparing other possibly over stressed 50 year old examples and doing our best as I see it at this moment in time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »
- using export brace, monte carlo bar or strut bar will not avoid that the front end could be rising or falling,
True, but it could keep the front end from getting worse. I took a turn in my 66 GT Fastback a bit on the speedy side without any additional front end supports and saw the fender move towards the hood. Whether or not it was the fender or hood moving encouraged me to install an export brace and a Monte Carlo Bar. I've made that turn many times after that "educational "one and saw little, if any movement, maybe even faster. I'm convinced. That particular Mustang (San Jose, Mar 29, 66 build) had its radiator support and right front fender apron replaced at a frame shop. They showed me, from under the car, what they did to get a "good" alignment. There were wires, steel straps and plum bobs being used. You might check with a frame shop to see if they have sources for additional measurements.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 11:37:25 AM »
Surelly they have tools to fast and easely do the front end alignement without pre-assembling fenders, bonnet, fender extensions, front vallence, grill, etc. But, for crash repair or restoring purposes the easiest way is to have some measurements, like frame to base high, top shocks distance, low arms rh to lh distance, between sway bar holes and/or front frames on radiator support, and diagonals from cowl corners to shock tower, to lower arm bolt holes, to front apron to radiator support corners. Basically with these measurements and a couple more you know everything will be correct on their place and car geometry will be as it should.
If the ones that already have those measurements will not share with members I'll do it as soon as I'm getting the job done as will make things much easier for all of us.
The ones here are found on FB but I'm not sure about some figures
Thanks 
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »
one missing
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE