Author Topic: 68 Export Braces  (Read 1986 times)

Offline E35Pilot

68 Export Braces
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
I've always noticed how some export braces are bolted to the top of the firewall lip and others were bolted underneath.  And, without doing any specific research, I simply believed this was due to the difference between specific engine, body style, or maybe even year.  However, in a different thread, a picture of a similarly built mustang as mine was posted and I noticed it has its' export braces bolted below the lip which is different then mine, picture attached.  The picture is of a 1968 (Feb 68 build) S-Code Convertible built in San Jose.  Mine is the same vehicle but built Dec 67, two months earlier in the same factory, and my braces are bolted above the lip....?  Can anyone help explain why the difference?

Picture website: http://www.oldtownclassics.com/gallery/v/current/1968+GT+390/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:12:43 AM by E35Pilot »
1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
Re: 68 Export Braces
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
Export braces are one piece construction, and mounted the only way that they will fit, on TOP of the pinch weld. Your picture is an example of the standard right and left supports, and are mounted properly BELOW the pinch weld.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »
Export braces are one piece construction, and mounted the only way that they will fit, on TOP of the pinch weld. Your picture is an example of the standard right and left supports, and are mounted properly BELOW the pinch weld.

+1 Shock tower supports under - export braces on top ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Ok, correct terms noted.  Nontheless, any idea why some have export braces verses shock tower supports? 
Was one an option and the other standard? 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 07:10:02 PM by E35Pilot »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »
Ok, correct terms noted.  Nontheless, any idea why some have export braces verses shock tower supports? 
Was one an option and the other standard?

Very common owner added accessory since it stiffens up the front end of these unibody cars.  In the past normally less than $100 to add to the car - cheaper than a decent set of shocks :)

The more performance orientated the car (or the owner ;) is the more likely its been added. Like Boss 302's  would guess over 50% have or have had them sometime int he past though they never were built with them unless they were export cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 07:45:42 AM »
Very common owner added accessory since it stiffens up the front end of these unibody cars.  In the past normally less than $100 to add to the car - cheaper than a decent set of shocks :)

The more performance orientated the car (or the owner ;) is the more likely its been added. Like Boss 302's  would guess over 50% have or have had them sometime int he past though they never were built with them unless they were export cars

I assume you're talking about export braces above, right?  If so, and I'm understanding you correctly, domestically sold 1968 Mustangs "did not" come with export braces from the factory, right?  Which would make the shock tower braces the factory original parts regardless of body style/engine, etc.  Right?       

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
68 Shelby's had the one piece export brace.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
I assume you're talking about export braces above, right?  If so, and I'm understanding you correctly, domestically sold 1968 Mustangs "did not" come with export braces from the factory, right?  Which would make the shock tower braces the factory original parts regardless of body style/engine, etc.  Right?     
The export brace was paired when installed at the factory with the reinforced upper shock brackets. If a owner added the export brace they typically were not aware of the accompanying brackets which in turn didn't get installed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »
BTW anyone have an original 68 Export car (or pictures) with the export brace. All the ones I have pictures of don't have it installed. Though each still used the reinforced shock towers. 

67 may have been the last year since I don't recall seeing 69 and 70 export cars with their either (but still with the shock bracket change)  but want to see what others had found. Have a copy of the export list for 67  but not for 68 - up

Might need to start another thread to chase this one ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:54:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle