Author Topic: DSO 71 question  (Read 3009 times)

Offline austr6

DSO 71 question
« on: October 30, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »
Hello all,
Im in the process of hunting down the correct engine and heads for my 66 GT A code fastback. It has a DSO71 on door tag, I am in the process of confirming that the vehicle was ordered at a dealership in Arizona. Now I have been told that the district sales office would have been the Californian DSO71. But because it was ordered to be sold through the Arizona dealer to be registered and driven in the state of Arizona, that the vehicle would NOT have had the Smog gear setup attached to it, nor the smog heads etc.
Can I get a 100% correct reply to this way of thinking. I want this vehicle to be as precise as possible to how it would have been as it was sold new.
Thank you in advance,
Richard.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:51:19 PM by J_Speegle »
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Auto ,Air conditioning, Power Steering
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: DSO71 question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »

I'm in the process of hunting down the correct engine and heads for my 66 GT A code fastback. It has a DSO71 on door tag, I am in the process of confirming that the vehicle was ordered at a dealership in Arizona. Now I have been told that the district sales office would have been the Californian DSO71.
 But because it was ordered to be sold through the Arizona dealer to be registered and driven in the state of Arizona, that the vehicle would NOT have had the Smog gear setup attached to it, nor the smog heads etc.

Can I get a 100% correct reply to this way of thinking..............

Nope no agreement here.

If the car was order by a dealership in Arizona for delivery in Arizona the order would have been processed through  district 75 - Phoenix and no thermactor system would have been installed at the factory.

Why would it have been processed through a different district?

It may have been ordered for LA district and transferred to Arizona because they had a buyer. In the 60's it was more common just to order and wait rather than transfer across state lines especially into a state with different emission standards.  But in that scenario the car would have been delivered and sold new in Arizona with the Thermactor equipment or if the dealer wanted to give money away - remove the system though evidence of it being there would still remain. Not holding my breath ;)

Will be interested in what you come up with that would confirm that the dealer ordered the vehicle through the southern California district. can only think of maybe one or two documents that might prove that. And just being sold through an Arizona dealership in itself IMHO is not going to be the "smoking gun"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:59:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline austr6

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »
Thank you again Jeff, so I can safely chase down a smog equipped engine then, with out a doubt?
If I find a smog engine, I am of the Understanding that I can plug the exhaust ports that the air was pumped into and run the engine as normal without the
smog gear attached? does the carby need to be different or will it operate correctly with a carby that was set up for smog equipment?
Anything else that would need to be altered  (obviously the pulleys etc (mine has air and steer)
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »
Thank you again Jeff, so I can safely chase down a smog equipped engine then, with out a doubt?

Always can be doubts but IMHO the chances are very very good that your car (lacking any evidence - and your original engine is not longer around) chance that yours came with the Thermactor system.

If I find a smog engine, I am of the Understanding that I can plug the exhaust ports that the air was pumped into and run the engine as normal without the smog gear attached? does the carby need to be different or will it operate correctly with a carby that was set up for smog equipment?
Anything else that would need to be altered  (obviously the pulleys etc (mine has air and steer)

Kind of confused - in the first post you wrote

.............. I want this vehicle to be as precise as possible to how it would have been as it was sold new.

Now it appears that is not the fact.

So you want your car to appear that it had Thermactor on the car but you/or someone removed the system?

If so how far do you want to go?  Replace the heads, alternator brackets and pulleys? 

Your not likely going to have a major issue running the Thermactor distributor and carburetor without the system working though I had driveability issues when I've tried to remove the system on some cars in the past - but it was just likely me

The individual plugs for the head will only apply if that it the style of heads you find for the dates given. Mid year they also started using the internal Thermactor design on 289's so there are two somewhat different systems used during 66.

I guess the problem is the same as it always is when you start modifying these cars - how far do you want to go and where does it end

For me - I'ld just get a system and put it on. Will make the car unique ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline austr6

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
My full DSO on the Plate reads 712887, would/could the extra DSO numbers  have anything to do with the vehicle being a non smog vehicle etc?
Is there any way to identify what the numbers refer to?
my VIN number is 6R09A202931 .
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline austr6

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
Always can be doubts but IMHO the chances are very very good that your car (lacking any evidence - and your original engine is not longer around) chance that yours came with the Thermactor system.

Kind of confused - in the first post you wrote

Now it appears that is not the fact.

So you want your car to appear that it had Thermactor on the car but you/or someone removed the system?

If so how far do you want to go?  Replace the heads, alternator brackets and pulleys? 

Your not likely going to have a major issue running the Thermactor distributor and carburetor without the system working though I had driveability issues when I've tried to remove the system on some cars in the past - but it was just likely me

The individual plugs for the head will only apply if that it the style of heads you find for the dates given. Mid year they also started using the internal Thermactor design on 289's so there are two somewhat different systems used during 66.

I guess the problem is the same as it always is when you start modifying these cars - how far do you want to go and where does it end

For me - I'ld just get a system and put it on. Will make the car unique ;)
Yes im sure it would be a great idea to run all the smog gear if it indeed came with a smog equipped engine, I will surely look at mounting it all correctly, at some stage, or at least gathering all the gear so that I have it and in the mean time perhaps run it with the holes plugged so it would have the correct engine in place but just with the smog gear removed..... still undecided at this stage. I don't mean to confuse you, I do apologize.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
Don't feel bad. Most of us in California removed our 66 (and up to 73) smog stuff when the state no longer required inspections. This was mostly for daily driver cars. The concourse grade cars are usually not driven very much so the smog stuff doesn't cause a problem.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »
so based on what you have provided and what I have read so far. the DSO number provided 712887 seems this fastback in question was a special order paint car........

any idea what colour???

I have a least 2 pairs of smog heads on hand but I doubt they will be date correct, also have several pieces of the thermactor system that have been collected over the years.  Australia in renowned for buying San Jose cars only so there is a good chance of locating parts required over time and every know and them a complete long engine from a 66 comes available.

I will keep me eyes and ears open.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »
so based on what you have provided and what I have read so far. the DSO number provided 712887 seems this fastback in question was a special order paint car........

Richard, if your door tag has a blank spot where the paint code should be, then the six-digit DSO is for special paint. If you have a normal paint code, then the special order was for something else.

Update: never mind, I found a discussion that has a photo of your door tag, presumably by a previous owner:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4535.0

Blank paint code, so special order paint.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:09:20 AM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
Interestingly I have a car in my data base that was the special order from that same district just before yours.

6R07C204xxx - 712886 Scheduled to be built four days later. Don't know if it was a special paint or something else required the special DSO but most likely (but not always ;) it was the paint.
Jeff Speegle

Offline austr6

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »

any idea what colour???

I have a least 2 pairs of smog heads on hand but I doubt they will be date correct, also have several pieces of the thermactor system that have been collected over the years.  Australia in renowned for buying San Jose cars only so there is a good chance of locating parts required over time and every know and them a complete long engine from a 66 comes available.

I will keep me eyes and ears open.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Thank you Phill, It would be greatly appreciated if you could keep a lookout to find me a complete engine assy, I am really keen to get this car correct. my date codes would apparently be March or April 66 ?, as this car has a build date of May 66. I have removed a section of paint from under the boot lid and the original colour is still there, it does appear to be Silver Rose Metallic from a 66 Thunderbird.
I will post a picture once i have time. And I still have not had a chance to remove the starter to confirm the block is a 1970 302.

Kind regards,
Richard.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline austr6

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
Here is pic of underside of boot lid showing the original color, from what i can tell, it looks like silver rose metallic?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:34:52 PM by austr6 »
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
Here is pic of underside of boot lid showing the original color, from what i can tell, it looks like silver rose metallic?

Looks very close - hard to be certain over the internet. Would be best if you could have someone with a special order chip book to find a match then compare the color coat to the Silver Rose to be sure.

It should really catch eyes at a show - just what you want from a special order car. Those ones where the original owner choose a color close to a regular color always tend to look like the painter just got the color wrong when they painted it - at first glance :(
Jeff Speegle