Author Topic: 4100 Autolite Carburetor code  (Read 5392 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 4100 Autolite Carburetor code
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
I believe the correct code for TE and automatic trans should be C6ZF-E. The C6ZF-B would indeed be for an "A" code car as this denoted a 289-4v car, with an automatic trans (non-TE).

That is what the Carburetor Guide shows
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline austr6

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
So does that confirm my thoughts that my vehicle was not equipped with the smog stuff?
it is an A code 289 4V with factory air conditioning and factory power steering.
By the way, a big thank you to all for your help and knowledge.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Auto ,Air conditioning, Power Steering
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 11:21:01 PM »
So does that confirm my thoughts that my vehicle was not equipped with the smog stuff?
it is an A code 289 4V with factory air conditioning and factory power steering.
By the way, a big thank you to all for your help and knowledge.

Not sure if the carb alone would be a good indicator. Guess you don't have an original door tag or heads on the car

Indicators like thermactor heads, alternator brackets and such can all help. Know where the car was sold or what district are likely the best indicator IMHO
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:28:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline austr6

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 11:44:15 PM »
I have the door plate and the DSO was 71 but i believe the car was ordered to send to Arizona? I will look at the heads once i have a spare minute to remove the rocker covers i will get back in touch with details
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 12:56:21 AM »
I have the door plate and the DSO was 71 but i believe the car was ordered to send to Arizona?
The DSO would be 75 if it was an Arizona ordered car. All 1966 Fords ordered with DSO 71 and 72 were required by California law to be equipped with smog equipment. (The same smog equipment applied to all new 1966 cars from all manufacturers.) There are a couple of "quirks" in the law which states "sold in California after January 1, 1966", but Ford put smog stuff on all California cars from August, 1965 anyway. For some reason, 66 HP engines were exempt as well (thankfully).
I will look at the heads once i have a spare minute to remove the rocker covers i will get back in touch with details
Your VIN indicates a May, 66 build which may (pun not intended) have one of two types of smog heads. The early type have an air injection port for each cylinder, and would be obviously "plugged". The type used in 67 has a single port at the LH rear or RH front. I'm not sure if the 67 type can be made non-smog, a "plug".
At this stage, you might want to verify the engine assembly date. It's located on a casting extension, called a boss, on the LH front side near the distributor. A bolt from the water pump goes into the "boss". The format is, year (single digit), month (a letter), one or two numbers for the day, and a letter, assembler or inspector. Yours should look like "6CxxZ" or "6DxxZ".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline austr6

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 02:19:27 AM »
my engine assembly date code is as illustrated.
May 20 1966
GT Fastback
A code,
Standard Interior
6R09A202931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »
The DSO would be 75 if it was an Arizona ordered car. All 1966 Fords ordered with DSO 71 and 72 were required by California law to be equipped with smog equipment. (The same smog equipment applied to all new 1966 cars from all manufacturers.) There are a couple of "quirks" in the law which states "sold in California after January 1, 1966", but Ford put smog stuff on all California cars from August, 1965 anyway. ..............

There are some exceptions to that practice but they are very very few and would require additional documentation to be believable IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »
There are some exceptions to that practice but they are very very few and would require additional documentation to be believable IMHO
So few that they become legends. Have you, Jeff, seen any? Well, it's close enough to Halloween to qualify as a "ghost".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »
So few that they become legends. Have you, Jeff, seen any? Well, it's close enough to Halloween to qualify as a "ghost".
Jim

Most memorable and easier to document are a very few 67's. But have seen a couple fo the 65-66 though would still go by the DSO for a guideline for 99.8% of the production.
Jeff Speegle