Author Topic: Recomendaton for Lavender/Lilac Paint  (Read 4444 times)

Offline ddonzella

Recomendaton for Lavender/Lilac Paint
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »
So I thought finding the color Lavender/ Lilac for my 1969 driveshaft paint would be easy. Silly me!  Can anyone recommend a product for this purpose please!

Offline jwc66k

Re: Recomendaton for Lavender/Lilac Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »
If you have a color sample, Home Depot can match it and make a small batch of Behr flat sample paint, about 3 oz, under $5.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:17:03 AM »
2 Bottles Testors Lavender model paint (little bottles) Might get three just in case you have to redo it but 2 should be plenty to make one good pass

Here it is compared to the original color. Color is not coming out true on my monitor but side by side it does show how close the two are

Chartreuse is not coming across very true to color in the two pictures and my monitor settings but that's not the focus.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 02:42:08 AM »
So I thought finding the color Lavender/ Lilac for my 1969 driveshaft paint would be easy. Silly me!  Can anyone recommend a product for this purpose please!

Check the various hardware stores or other places that sell Krylon and whatnot.  Sometimes they'll have oddball colors that will get you in the ballpark, and some places sell the small jars of Krylon paint, like you would find for models.
You can also try your hand at mixing Model paints from the hobby store ~ whites and pinks and purples as desired.  When painting the stripes, you really won't use a whole lot of paint - less than a Testors jar.  Buy a few eyedroppers and experiment mixing them a few drops at a time.  Keep track of your color ratios so you can scale up to a larger amount to use for painting the stripe(s) - and in case you need to redo it sometime in the future.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
Thank you gentlemen! Never thought I would spend so much energy on the color lavender...lol

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »
Thank you gentlemen! Never thought I would spend so much energy on the color lavender...lol
I wonder if women's nail polish is possible for this type of thing instead of Testor's Paint...there's got to be 1000's of shades that anyone would never use anywhere else...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »
I wonder if women's nail polish is possible for this type of thing instead of Testor's Paint...there's got to be 1000's of shades that anyone would never use anywhere else...

Testor paint will be cheaper - even buying twice as much in volume. Plus less likely to chip  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »

Let us know if you can convince your wife (or girlfirend, or whatever) to match her nail colors to your driveshaft paint codes. That would be worthy of some kind of reward  ;D
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
Plus less likely to chip  ::)

Now that's funny.  Almost slipped by me the first time.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »
Boy is this thread digressing! lol.

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »
More curious than offerening any ideas here but these stripes were not exactly "glossy", were they?

My recollection tells me these stripes were semi-flat to flat in the sheen. One of those details often overlooked back in the day and probably not focussed on as much as trying to match up the tone of color.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
More curious than offerening any ideas here but these stripes were not exactly "glossy", were they?

Have seen nothing that suggests that originally the marks were "flat"

No cost savings for the company and it would be much easier for them to just use something off the shelf - which was normally glossy. I believe that the lack of gloss came from exposure to the elements and chemicals over the years
Jeff Speegle