Author Topic: Inside of fenders and head light bucket install  (Read 2550 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Inside of fenders and head light bucket install
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
I am working on two 67s from Metuchen - a Fastback April 67, Coupe July 67.  I have two questions.

1. What would the underside of the front fenders have for primer?  Were they fully primed with red oxide?

2. Were the head light buckets installed before or after fender installation?  If after fender installation, were they installed before or after the application of sound deadner?

Thanks,
Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: Inside of fenders and head light bucket install
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
I am sure Jeff will have pictures to follow this up!

1. Fenders were red oxide primer/sealer first. I have personally seen gray primer on top of the red oxide for some exterior colors (lime gold and dark moss green).

2. As seen in the 68 strike pictures (the assembly line did not significantly change from 67 to 68) the headlight buckets and all trim ornamentation was installed on the fender prior to installing the fender on the body. Like the front grille area, the fenders became assembled units for quicker installation on the body. Front wheel well sound deadener was applied after the fender assembly installation.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
Thank you Peter.

I have referenced the 68 strike pictures many times - excellent details.  Just did not want to assume...month/year/plant thing.

Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:41:25 PM »
I am working on two 67s from Metuchen - a Fastback April 67, Coupe July 67.  I have two questions.

1. What would the underside of the front fenders have for primer?  Were they fully primed with red oxide?

They were fully primed with red oxide prior to their arrival at the plant. Back side

2. Were the head light buckets installed before or after fender installation?

Not sure if it makes a difference for the final look of things. Back side of those will normally have some light gray primer (no red) with logical body color overspray. Not unusual for then to receive a coat of light gray primer (as a surface primer) on all exterior colors like the main body of the car (unibody)

Back side should have either a light coating of exterior color following a logical pattern (directly behind wheel lip, back edge and front edge as the painter made sure of a nice coat where it was important. In some cases there was a pretty nice coat of exterior color on the back side depending on the worker/painter. Remember that the guns were pumping out ALLOT more overspray than today's spray guns so you'll need to compensate for this during the application. The possibility of sound deadener over the back surface is another detail (if it was done) applied later in the process.

If after fender installation, were they installed before or after the application of sound deadner?

Sound deadener was pretty much the last step before the wheel and tire were installed.  So everything was in place and (depending on worker) all surfaces could possibly get some sputters and splatter if not direct application - bumper arms, back side of front lower valance ......

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
Thank you for the information...

Given that the fender extensions (head light buckets) were installed after paint, the line worker did not have any means to compensate for any alignment issues, aside from the clearance in the attaching holes.

Jeff, the grey surface primer that could be found on the head light bucket....based on your observations, did the line painter make an effort to paint the back side or was it simply coated as part of painting the exterior surfaces?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:41:18 AM »
Given that the fender extensions (head light buckets) were installed after paint, the line worker did not have any means to compensate for any alignment issues, aside from the clearance in the attaching holes.

Sure they could have reached around to the wheel well and adjust if it was really needed but they only had seconds to clap it one and get ti right. They did have allot of practice though ;)  Think that if they were aligned to the fender very well there should be little need to adjust them further since the fender and headlight bucket would both be adjust together as needed

Jeff, the grey surface primer that could be found on the head light bucket....based on your observations, did the line painter make an effort to paint the back side or was it simply coated as part of painting the exterior surfaces?

Don't believe there was an attempt to paint the back side of the headlight bucket other than attempt to cover at least with a coat of the section that faced the grill opening when the hood was open. Just like the back side of the fender that would show through to the interior and the driver/passenger when the door was open. Think this is the same thought pattern by the workers, inspectors and engineers applied here

Here is an example of the surface I'm referring to

Of course as mentioned the paint flowed allot as did the overspray so when painting the edge (for example) of where the fender would be attached the paint is directed at a 1/4" + wide surface while 95% of the paint traveled to surfaces directly behind - the back side of the headlight surface with about 50% of the paint spray

Jeff Speegle

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »
Thank you Jeff....any thoughts on how the head light bucket was orientated during painting?  I would assume it was hung from one of the holes or from one of the rectangular/circular cut-outs.  Have you seen any hanging witness shadows or any particular direction of paint runs?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 06:42:01 PM »
Thank you Jeff....any thoughts on how the head light bucket was orientated during painting?  I would assume it was hung from one of the holes or from one of the rectangular/circular cut-outs.  Have you seen any hanging witness shadows or any particular direction of paint runs?

Don't recall ever seeing a run nor a witness shadow from hanging.

Jeff Speegle