Author Topic: 68 Trunk Mat and Anti-Rattle Board Details  (Read 8344 times)

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 Trunk Mat and Anti-Rattle Board Details
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »
I haven't logged on for a few days. I will check the measurements on mine, though the already mentioned 6 by 12 sounds close. I don't remember any glue on mine, but it has been a long time since I looked at it.

Dudley I would be interested in both the size and position of your board as further conformation of the information Jeff and Scott have given. I would also like a picture of you underlayment.
Marty

Offline Dudley

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 03:04:41 PM »
Marty, I will get pictures tonight and measure the board. The only pictures I currently have are of the top surface of the mat, and partials of the tank uncovered on the driver's side. My car has only the trunk mat and no underlayment. The only underlayment is on the axle tunnel forward of the trunk. Early on during my ownership I moved the board without any thought of denoting the position where I found it, so I can't report any accurate location details. I will look at the mat for any tell tale impressions that may help. For now until I get new pictures I will post a couple photos from those that I now have to show the underlayment and part of the tank which shows no evidence of glue residue and there is none on the bottom of the mat or at least none that I can remember, it was loose when I got the car. I have other views of the trunk but of other areas.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Dudley

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
My board measures 6 X 12. It was not glued down and neither was the trunk mat. The underlayment is only on the axle tunnel. Since I had moved the board years ago I did not think to pay close attention to its exact location, my thought is that since it was not glued in place it could have been moved from its factory location long time ago before I acquired the car. However, looking at my board it looks to me as if the rough side was facing down and the smooth side towards the trunk mat. I surmise only because on the back rough side is a straight line rub mark which lines up with the far right rib on the top of the gas tank. I took a picture of the board with the rough side facing up and laying on top of the tank - the mark lines up the tank rib. I also conclude that since the rub mark extends the full length of the board, that the board was laid completely on top of the tank and not towards the end of the tank such that it would have been cantilevered past the tank's end. I took a number of pictures of the trunk from various angles and will post a few, I can post more if anyone desires to see them though they may wander off topic slightly. The 1st pic is the board's top surface, the 2nd is the bottom surface and the 3rd is the bottom surface up laid in place to show the rub mark aligning with the tank's top rib. I included the 4th picture to show the extent of the underlayment and where it ends.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:36:30 AM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 10:51:18 PM »
Thanks Dudley that is helpful. I wonder why there is no underlayment on the tank?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
Thanks Dudley that is helpful. I wonder why there is no underlayment on the tank?

Standard or deluxe interior ?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »
I was not aware that in 67-68 that there was a difference. If there is we may need to update the rules.

TRUNK Points
A. Mat and Cardboard: Proper style and type material for year mounted in original location. 67 - gray plaid, stitched corners with burtex backing. 68 - gray splatter design with burtex backing (68 San Jose can have gray plaid, stitched corners with burtex backing). 68 San Jose predominate trunk mat was plaid. All cars with mats have trunk mat underlay ..................................................... 5
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 3

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 12:40:21 AM »
I was not aware that in 67-68 that there was a difference. If there is we may need to update the rules.

TRUNK Points
A. Mat and Cardboard: Proper style and type material for year mounted in original location. 67 - gray plaid, stitched corners with burtex backing. 68 - gray splatter design with burtex backing (68 San Jose can have gray plaid, stitched corners with burtex backing). 68 San Jose predominate trunk mat was plaid. All cars with mats have trunk mat underlay ..................................................... 5
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 3
the trunk in question could be a anomaly as well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 12:54:10 AM »
I have found many 68 cars to just have a Grey Felt type mat.
Have quite a few of the boards but found more of the larger ones in 69/70 mustang/Cougars cars.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 06:26:17 AM »
When was Dudley's car completed in relation to the strike?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »
When was Dudley's car completed in relation to the strike?

Way after (May-June 67)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dudley

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 09:05:22 AM »
my car has the standard interior

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
my car has the standard interior

QUESTIONS on underlayment:
1.) Standard Interior = No underlayment in trunk (above tank) on 68's?

2.) Deluxe Interior = YES, Underlayment expected to be found on the 68's?

3.) California Special & High Country follow the same rules for 68's?

Then, back to the basic request,
4.)  "ALL 68's Have the anti-Rattle board, no matter where built, no matter what options?"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments