Author Topic: 68 Trunk Mat and Anti-Rattle Board Details  (Read 8342 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 Trunk Mat and Anti-Rattle Board Details
« on: August 30, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
Just double checked many pictures and I have to report (that is what we're here for) that IMHO it appears that not all 67 + 68 may have had the sound deadener pad/underlayment over the gas tank. Not sure if the usage was based on time of production or connected (example deluxe interior cars during those years as it was in later years)

For example we saw a very nice unrestored  68 San Jose car last year That showed evidence of never being played with where the gas tank showed some spray on glue.  The same glue was evident in the bottom of the trunk mat (not possible if a layer of underlayment was there. BTW trunk/spare tire board was still in place.

Car was a low optioned car - basic V8 with dog dish hub caps. Great car to see

Jeff I need to reproduce some of these trunk boards. Can you tell me the boards dimensions and location on the tank? 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:39:36 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Dudley

Re: 68 Trunk Mat and Anti-Rattle Board Details
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »
I would be surprised if Jeff doesn't have the board dimensions, but in the event he does not, I can measure mine for you.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:39:44 PM by J_Speegle »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »
Jeff I need to reproduce some of these trunk boards. Can you tell me the boards dimensions and location on the tank?

Don't have a 68 version to measure do Dudley if you can help out - please do.

Believe they started out being placed below the drivers side edge of the spare tire for contact/rattle purposes

Going to split this since its taking a little different direction and think it will be easier for others to find as a separate title

Will find and post what pictures I can find of this year and body style
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:39:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »
FYI notice the yellow glue used to glue down the trunk mat. That is typical but what is not typical is to find restorers replicating that in their restoration.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:39:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
I found 4 samples all measuring 6 x 12 inches. Dearborn Cougar 1967/68, and San Jose Cougar 1968. Looks like 3 dollops of caulk on the rough side to maintain contact with the fuel tank. Looks like the same color of caulk used to seal the fuel tanks.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »
I found 4 samples all measuring 6 x 12 inches. Dearborn Cougar 1967/68, and San Jose Cougar 1968. Looks like 3 dollops of caulk on the rough side to maintain contact with the fuel tank. Looks like the same color of caulk used to seal the fuel tanks.
The caulk and its amount  :D  is typical for factory trunk board installation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »
Thanks! Can you tell me where on the tank it was located? It looks like it is about 3" from the front but can not see the RH edge.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »

Just wanted to caution viewers with other years. Did check today and the size and method of attachment differs between years and (for adhesive) plants.

Measured one from another year today that was almost three times larger than the 67-8

Board though was the same 3/16th" thickness Not easy to find today
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 08:25:27 PM »
Surprise   8) - found a few picture to add to the discussion

Hope they help in some way

Looks like front passenger side corner is in the lead  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:33:55 PM »
I have noticed upper passenger corner on the ones I removed for 1967-68. Would imagine this to be true for coupe and fastback, convertible boards probably stuck in a different spot of the fuel tank?

Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »
...... Would imagine this to be true for coupe and fastback, convertible boards probably stuck in a different spot of the fuel tank?

Why? The passenger trunk floor and measurements from the spare tie hold down to the tank and other landmarks are the same, are they not?

Maybe your thinking Cougar ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:09:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff that one is the money shot! The position is a bit perplexing, the jack rests directly to the left of the spare anchor point and that is where I thought the board would be placed.
I got lucky and found a sheet with the correct pattern on it. I believe that the anti rattle board is made of the same material as the early 67 trunk filler board was made of.
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 11:16:46 PM »
Thanks Jeff that one is the money shot! The position is a bit perplexing, the jack rests directly to the left of the spare anchor point and that is where I thought the board would be placed.
I got lucky and found a sheet with the correct pattern on it. I believe that the anti rattle board is made of the same material as the early 67 trunk filler board was made of.

Yes surprised it was not positioned better to protect the tank from either the spare or the jack. Maybe that is why the new years version was made much larger

And yes its likely the same provider and material for the drivers side filler on the 65-early half 67

Glad to help
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dudley

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:38 AM »
I haven't logged on for a few days. I will check the measurements on mine, though the already mentioned 6 by 12 sounds close. I don't remember any glue on mine, but it has been a long time since I looked at it.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 09:13:36 AM »
Not trying to derail the thread, possibly a good topic for another thread, (read as: move my comment as needed) Topic is on 68 Mustang ant-rattle board details, though Scott brought up 67 Cougars in the discussion too and as with MOST details and running changes I was wondering if a general rule of thumb went along with this topic for both the 67 AND 68 model years, and assembly plant specifics.

For example: (can edit as needed)

a.) 67 Mustangs NEVER used these but 67 Cougars did.
b.) 67 Mustangs used these but only found AFTER such and such date
c.) ALL 68's had these.
d.) This adhesive found used here (plant location) and then (time frame), but this adhesive found "there" (plant location)and "when"(time frame).

Maybe a good topic for further research.

I cannot recall ever seeing one in my 67 (11/66~SJ), but such things may have been viewed as "debris" and tossed out anytime along the way.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments