Author Topic: Exposing Original Red Oxide Primer?  (Read 3056 times)

Offline woolshire

Exposing Original Red Oxide Primer?
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »
Hello everyone...I've enjoyed reading and learning here...thanks!
I have an A-code 66' GT that has been a southwest car its entire existence (but made in NJ).  The car is undercoated, but wherever some of it has been removed, I see what I believe is original red oxide primer. Frankly, I'm not looking to make it into a 100 point car, but am considering removing the undercoating to expose the primer. I would assume it is fairly scarce to see the original primer? Would removing the undercoating be a good move?
The car is believed to have 35k miles on it. I do have some evidence to support that. I also have the buck tag (found under fender lip during only repaint in 2002) and recently found the build sheet stuffed in the springs under the drivers seat (original interior). Those prove it is a factory GT (PIO on buck tag and "6" in the correct box on the build sheet).

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Exposing Original Red Oxide Primer?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
Hello everyone...I've enjoyed reading and learning here...thanks!
I have an A-code 66' GT that has been a southwest car its entire existence (but made in NJ).  The car is undercoated, but wherever some of it has been removed, I see what I believe is original red oxide primer. Frankly, I'm not looking to make it into a 100 point car, but am considering removing the undercoating to expose the primer. I would assume it is fairly scarce to see the original primer? Would removing the undercoating be a good move?
The car is believed to have 35k miles on it. I do have some evidence to support that. I also have the buck tag (found under fender lip during only repaint in 2002) and recently found the build sheet stuffed in the springs under the drivers seat (original interior). Those prove it is a factory GT (PIO on buck tag and "6" in the correct box on the build sheet).

I removed all of the non-factory and factory undercoating on my 1966 NJ GT fastback, primarily to see what rust was lurking beneath it all.  I never regretted removing it and seeing most of the factory primer in great shape!  You can see what was found at http://www.midlife66.com/phasei/phasei.html
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline woolshire

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the info. That is a very nice photo tour you put together, midlife.
I haven't found any significant rust on mine yet, but I do think I'll start removing the undercoating. The nice thing about that is I can do a little at a time and can still enjoy the car. It will also confirm it is indeed solid all around (or not) ???

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 10:30:26 PM »
You may think about using a hard plastic like delron or similar putty knife tool so to remove under coating with out digging into the underlying paint.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »
First of all....Welcome!

Sounds like you have a nice solid car, keep us posted on your findings and we -love- pictures!  ;)

Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:18:54 AM »
If the car is Unrestored, low mileage, you may want to re-think removing the undercoating.  It will be hard to know where to stop between the the undercoating and factory applied sound deadener, like in the rear wheel wells.  Consider preserving the car if it's a nice original.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
Considering removing my non-factory, but very, very old undercoating as well on my San Jose Oct 64 K.  What small pieces I have removed reveals a black or very dark slop paint, with drips, except firewall foward which reveals red oxide on bottoms of the engine compartment frame rails and radiator crossmember.  The undercoating has nicely preserved a lot of detail as well as making for solid sheet metal.

I would like to enter my car in the concours driven class.  It's not low mileage or a survivor.  100K miles and one amatuer resto.  The rest of the car will be restored.  Any recommendations Charles or others?  I hate to remove it all, just for preservation, but want it to be appropriate for concours. 

Can move to a new thread if appropriate, but seems to match the topic.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:46:05 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 08:07:57 PM »
Considering removing my non-factory, but very, very old undercoating as well on my San Jose Oct 64 K.  What small pieces I have removed reveals a black or very dark slop paint, with drips, except firewall foward which reveals red oxide on bottoms of the engine compartment frame rails and radiator crossmember.  The undercoating has nicely preserved a lot of detail as well as making for solid sheet metal.

Given the time period and plant exactly what we would expect

I would like to enter my car in the concours driven class.  ...........I hate to remove it all, just for preservation, but want it to be appropriate for concours.

If that is so there is no choice - it needs to come off or face some serious deductions when being judged. 

Would not worry about preservation not like the car is likely seeing the use or the conditions that a regular daily driver say in the 60-80's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 08:52:45 PM »
Ok, thanks for the feedback Jeff.
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6