Author Topic: 65 Air conditioning hole questions  (Read 5510 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Re: 65 Air conditioning hole questions
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:29 AM »
OK Daniel,

I actually lucked out a bit...still have an original upper Radiator Grommet.

The Hole Size is approximately 1.25" but I would start slightly smaller; taking away material is far easier than putting it back.

The Grommets are available in sets, 378264-S, through NPD, (National Parts Depot), and other suppliers I'm sure, or you may be able to find good used originals or NOS Grommets. There is a difference between the two in terms of the inner hole sizes in each Grommet. The upper Grommet has a 9/16" hole the lower has a 3/8" hole; this applies for the Grommets at the firewall as well and are the same as the Radiator Grommets. The sets from suppliers include one of each size needed.

I don't have any info on the exact locations where the Grommets go through the firewall. If you have an original firewall pad that's intact, there are punch outs in the pad that will help locate where the holes should be punched through the firewall. If not, hopefully someone else has the dimensions.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
............If you have an original firewall pad that's intact, there are punch outs in the pad that will help locate where the holes should be punched through the firewall...

The original early pads have no punch out - in those examples you'll need some help from another car with AC from that plant and time period
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »
More good fortune...

My Firewall Pad, January, February 1965 and original to my car has the stacked hole cutouts. I'm assuming that the hole locations were the same or very close for each of the factories at that time even though the pad textures varied.

It'll take me a little time to get the most accurate measurements from the pad that I can, and will include a photo or photos of the pad with the dimensions. As I understand it, they are important not only for restoration purposes but also for the A/C Hose lengths, the terminating ends of which may not reach if the holes are too high or low, effectively making the hoses too short.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A