Author Topic: Anyone ever "restored" original Ignition and Door Lock Cylinders?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I was talking with a good friend at Mustang Week, and he was telling me about how he had the original locks sanded and buffed.  They looked great on his car; in fact, I thought they were new.

On my '67, I have the original door and ignition locks, but on the passenger's side lock assembly, the spring that's supposed to keep that small protector strip in place whenever a key is not inserted has broken.  Basically, the little piece that pushes aside whenever you insert a key is stuck in the open position (if that's clear as mud).

Any chance that spring could be replaced?  I went ahead and purchased a repro. set of door and ignition lock cylinders, but wasn't at all pleased with them.  If it's even an option, I'd be fine with destroying one of the repro. locks to use its internal spring.  I played with these locks for a while last night, but wasn't able to get very far.  I can see inside the lock and can tell that the protector strip is still in place, but that the spring is either out of place or broken.  From what I saw last night, it didn't seem like those assemblies were made to be taken apart.

I was just wondering anyone had ever been through this before.  I'd really prefer to keep the original lock set intact if it's at all possible.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Anyone ever "restored" original Ignition and Door Lock Cylinders?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 01:01:39 PM »
Locksmiths used to have kits to build some of the more popular varieties of locks. Find a locksmith who has been in business since the 80's anyways, you might be suprised what they have in their bag of tricks.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »
The cost of having a locksmith "fix" your locks is way more expensive than a new set, if you can still find them. Keep that in mind.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »
The cost of having a locksmith "fix" your locks is way more expensive than a new set, if you can still find them. Keep that in mind.
Jim

TRUE, but you might find one who would sell or install just the new covers, which sounds like all that is needed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:39:17 PM »
Jim
+1 . Better and less expensive to find another original and pay to have it rekeyed  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »
+1 . Better and less expensive to find another original and pay to have it rekeyed  ;) .
Exactly what I would suggest. Have them all sanded and buffed. That way you would keep the original key code as well.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 11:52:18 PM »
I would just find another nice original and move the tumblers and followers from your old lock. Take your time and keep track of where they go. If you mess it up no big deal a locksmith can easily fix it. I have done a number of them.
Marty

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:33:18 AM »

I'm sure the locksmith would also suggest to replace your key, or (s)he is re-coding a lock to a worn key.
The replacement key should be cut to the factory code... not a duplicate key, one cut to code which is fairly easily done.

64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
I would just find another nice original and move the tumblers and followers from your old lock. Take your time and keep track of where they go. If you mess it up no big deal a locksmith can easily fix it. I have done a number of them.
Marty
+1 on that, I've done this too, your best (and cheapest) solution!  ;)
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
Thanks, I'll go that route.  I had no idea the tumblers and all of those pieces could be replaced or migrated over to a new door lock.
Too much junk, too little time.