Author Topic: WANTED: Dead or Alive! 67 Mustang Vinyl Top Drip Rail Strips (2)  (Read 1791 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 Mustangs with Factory-Installed Vinyl Roofs, used a narrow strip within the drip rail to pinch down the vinyl roof. This strip was riveted into the drip rail and then caulked over the protruding rivets.

I need both of these strips, mine were discarded somewhere along life's jouney cross-country, must have been thought of as "scrap" by somebody (maybe me, idk)

Most were removed with a vinyl top replacement (as mine were)

68's apparently used a stainless strip (my best understanding anyways) so this might be another 67-only thing.

I have the 68 Stainess strips (for whatever reason) so if/when I find the 67's, these will become available.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

Re: WANTED: Dead or Alive! 67 Mustang Vinyl Top Drip Rail Strips (2)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
Richard,
I restored a 67 Dearborn Mustang that had a vinyl roof that used the SS toothed retainers so they were used on some 67's too.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »
Richard,
I restored a 67 Dearborn Mustang that had a vinyl roof that used the SS toothed retainers so they were used on some 67's too.
Marty

Maybe true, or the assembly plant or assembly date determines what would have been used originally. Mine definately had the standard steel, riveted in type so I am simply trying to duplicate what I already know was original. I suppose I could "fake it till I make it" or just "make it" too. Or fill the holes in on the drip rails and use the SS ones I already have (doubtful I would do that though) or just pop in the rivets and caulk the drip rail in. (nobody can see them anyways once caulked) I'm just throwing it out there again. We visited this topic last year before I believe but I believe it was in a thread, not in a "wanted ad".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:58:19 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
67 Mustangs with Factory-Installed Vinyl Roofs, used a narrow strip within the drip rail to pinch down the vinyl roof. This strip was riveted into the drip rail and then caulked over the protruding rivets.

I need both of these strips, mine were discarded somewhere along life's jouney cross-country, must have been thought of as "scrap" by somebody (maybe me, idk)

Most were removed with a vinyl top replacement (as mine were)

68's apparently used a stainless strip (my best understanding anyways) so this might be another 67-only thing.

I have the 68 Stainess strips (for whatever reason) so if/when I find the 67's, these will become available.

Richard

I will check later this week to see if I have some. I parted out a few 67-68s in the 80s, and I think a couple had vinyl tops. We saved dang near everything, but we might not have gone to the extreme of saving those strips. Keep your fingers crossed  :D

I would imagine those are not popular items to get pulled from junkyard cars - there could be quite a few still out there. Of course they would be exposed to the weather, so yards in the SW states would be your best bet.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:57:40 PM »
It would not be had to have some sheared in a metal shop. You do not see them any way. Originals are often very rusty at least in Nebraska.
Marty

Offline msoc28027

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:54:33 AM »
All the ones I have removed and replaced during a vinyl top installation have been aluminum. I also have replace vinyl tops on some 1967's that never had them from the factory.
Monroe
Mustang Shop of Concord