Author Topic: Door speaker Grill  (Read 3721 times)

Offline FD234

Door speaker Grill
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:57:06 PM »
Hello, I have a 67 Mustang Hardtop, Dearborn, s code automatic with standard interior and the am 8 track stereo radio, build date is 2-25-67.   What does the door speaker grill look like and what is the part number.  I have looked at some previous post and I am still uncertain as to the proper covering.  I am enclosing pictures of my drivers door and the original wiring. 

Thanks
Steve

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Door speaker Grill
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:06:13 AM »
Hello, I have a 67 Mustang Hardtop, Dearborn, s code automatic with standard interior and the am 8 track stereo radio, build date is 2-25-67.   What does the door speaker grill look like and what is the part number.  I have looked at some previous post and I am still uncertain as to the proper covering.  I am enclosing pictures of my drivers door and the original wiring. 

Thanks
Steve
It looks like ether the 8 track was added after the car was built or the door replaced IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 12:59:47 AM »
Hello, I have a 67 Mustang Hardtop, Dearborn, s code automatic with standard interior and the am 8 track stereo radio, build date is 2-25-67.   What does the door speaker grill look like and what is the part number.

The grill looks (its the same) as the deluxe interior lower door grill. Not sure what a part number will help with at this point ;) not like you can order or and I think a service replacement one going to be a lonnnnnng shot.  Originals and reproductions are available

Picture of lower door grill being used on a standard interior car with factory 8 track

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:10:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:40:08 AM »
A genuine speaker grill door will have a more defined speaker hole and will have square holes corresponding to the holes in the grill and the square holes are designed for the nylon inserts that the grill screws secure to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:33:14 AM »
A genuine speaker grill door will have a more defined speaker hole and will have square holes corresponding to the holes in the grill and the square holes are designed for the nylon inserts that the grill screws secure to.
I agree this does not look like a factory door, I see no other mounting holes other than the 4 around the speaker hole. However the early 67's did not use the nylon inserts, I do not know when they started using them. My SJ 11-04-66 has no inserts. Perhaps this was a dealer installed eight track. A Marti report would be helpful.
Marty

Offline FD234

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
According to my Matri report the Am 8 track is original to the car and no the door has not been replaced as i have both original doors witht he same holes and both have the original wiring with the correct pig tail plug in.  My door also has the original door data tag affixed that matches the Marti report and the fender apron vin number.

So am I correct to say that even with the standard interior I would have the deluxe lower door speaker grill? 
Thanks
Steve

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »
According to my Matri report the Am 8 track is original to the car and no the door has not been replaced as i have both original doors witht he same holes and both have the original wiring with the correct pig tail plug in.  My door also has the original door data tag affixed that matches the Marti report and the fender apron vin number.

So am I correct to say that even with the standard interior I would have the deluxe lower door speaker grill? 
Thanks
Steve
every other 67 door in that time frame with speaker appears differently.At the very least is is a anomaly.

Offline FD234

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
Bob, what have you seen on the am 8track cars with standard interior?

I was on another Forum and I was sent a picture of what this person believed was the correct speaker grill cover? 

I am attaching a couple of photos i have found - I have photos of two different speaker grills

Thanks
steve 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »
I was on another Forum and I was sent a picture of what this person believed was the correct speaker grill cover? 

I am attaching a couple of photos i have found - I have photos of two different speaker grills

Ran that number and it's not a Mustang application for a factory 8 track car. The picture I posted above is what I've seen multiple times on standard interior 67's with factory 8 track.

As for the holes I've got a number of examples were it appears that they used the same size hole saws/drills at all four corners

This subject has been posted here before - one from the same plant and looks like the same worker made the holes

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7888.msg45196#msg45196

Close-up of the cut-out hole from that example (7F03S134867)

Also have San Jose examples (below 7R01C159880) that look almost exactly the same

At this time its apparent, at this time for me, that the doors did not come pre-stamped (cut-out) for this option, leaving it up to the line to make the cut.

Another thread discussing the door speaker grills and their application in 67 & 68

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2253.0

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:46:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
Bob, what have you seen on the am 8track cars with standard interior?

Thanks
steve
Sorry , I have only seen the typical 67/68 finned speaker grill on the doors. I wouldn't bet my life on it since I have more gaps in regular Mustang knowledge compared to my main field of interest which is the Shelby cars. I would be surprised and a new one on me if there was a factory grill other then the finned one. I am still skeptical about the crude speaker hole job in the pictured doors but that technique may prove out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:51:03 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline FD234

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »
Thanks for your help

Steve

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »
I have worked on a 10-?- 66 SJ standard interior car with the eight track option and it has the deluxe grills.

Richard it is interesting that your car built two day before mine has the inserts. Makes me think mine got missed or something. I'll have to check that car above and see if it has insets.
Marty

Offline FD234

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
Thanks for you response.  With all the responses I can now be certain it came with the deluxe speaker grill.

Thanks
Steve