Author Topic: GTA Emblems BLACK "GT" letters, w/Black Surround Pin-stripe, YES OR NO?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I have a couple sets of NOS GTA emblems that have the letters GT painted black and my originals do not have any signs of them having ever been black. I do not remember ever noticing the "black" coming off over time either.

DID THE BLACK simply come off entirely over time, by itself?

OR...were the originals never black with the black surround pin-striping

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Always recall originals (GT letters) being done in black. Sun (sun bleaching),  heat and age tends to make the color go away especially on that plated surface the red around the A seems to hold up better over the years.

Like this original example the black is now long gone - Calif will do that to this sort of detail if the car is left outside :( in my experiences

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

+1 on black.  By the time I got my car in 1979 the black was gone just like yours 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

Thanks guys, that was my take of "The case of the missing black".  Just checking in since I will be replacing the originals  upon reassembly.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Always recall originals (GT letters) being done in black. Sun (sun bleaching),  heat and age tends to make the color go away especially on that plated surface the red around the A seems to hold up better over the years.

Like this original example the black is now long gone - Calif will do that to this sort of detail if the car is left outside :( in my experiences

One of the little thing we put up with in drought stricken California.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

One of the little thing we put up with in drought stricken California.
Jim

It makes perfect sense...this car resided between Majave Desert & the Coachella Valley (near Palm Springs) ALL desert areas and likely 95-99% of the time out in the blazing sun!. (99-100% in the blazing sun under my watch, from '79-'98...'78 and early '79 was in the Inland Empire area (San Berdnardino) Gets fairly blazing there too! ;)

Basically, I never recall seeing any "black" before so I just had to ask. It would seem that 10 years was enough to bake it off. (before my watch)
Richard Urch