Author Topic: Spark Plug Wire Separators  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Richard P.

Spark Plug Wire Separators
« on: July 07, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
Please excuse my last post. I recently did some work on a 1968 Mustang Coupe with 12,999 miles. It is my understanding that the car had been sitting for the past 25 years. The car had a 289 2 V engine with one white separator on the passenger side. I worked on a 1967 Thunderbird with a 390 CU IN (big block) engine this weekend that had TWO white spark plug wire separators. Apparently Ford was using them earlier than 1968 and not just on Mustangs.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:47:58 PM by carlite65 »

Offline stangfan

Re: Spark Plug Wire Seperators
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
What happened to the earlier discussion about the white separator?  I have one from my 68 GT/CS and was following the thread.   ???
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Online ruppstang

Re: Spark Plug Wire Separators
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
I too want to know what happened to the original thread, there were a number of posts on it? I find it strange that Richard P. thread above was edited by Carlite 65.

This was my post yesterday.

"Our 67 SJ C code GTA had one on it. I have not seen on a big block from any plant. Few cars that had them have them now, most were lost the first time the plug wires were changed. Most that I find are on low mile unrestored cars".

I would like to clarify that because I have not seen one on a BB does not mean that I do not believe hat BB did not have them. IMHO I think that they were used at all plants on all car lines.
Marty

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:20:57 AM »
Marty I accidently deleted the former posting. I'm still learning computers. SORRY

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
my edit was for a spelling error in the title on both posts.
5F09C331248

Offline Dudley

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
my '68 C code May/June build has the white on the pass side and the black on the driver side
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
so my 68 suppose to have 1 black and 1 white between the valve cover and distributor ? how about the one bolt on the valve cover, 2 are black ? did someone have a picture of what suppose to look like ?
thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline Dudley

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »
the valve cover pieces are black on mine. They show slightly in pictures that I have, for better pictures I would have to take more when I'm back home.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:04:58 PM »
so my 68 suppose to have 1 black and 1 white between the valve cover and distributor ? how about the one bolt on the valve cover, 2 are black ? did someone have a picture of what suppose to look like ?
thanks
This is a interesting topic but would caution against drawing any hardline conclusions on it's frequency of usage. I am not sure of the reason for usage other then what has been described already . I DO know that my personal observations is that the white spark plug wire separator was used sporadically at best for what ever reason regardless of plant. I am confident others similar observations will bear this out. It is reasonable to conclude by myself at least that the white separator is not expected to be seen on every car because of this . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »
so my 68 suppose to have 1 black and 1 white between the valve cover and distributor ?.........

IMHO - nope

Better description might be "so my 68 may have had   1 black and 1 white.."

Often details are not so black and white   ::)
Have a number of very nice unrestored cars (pictures) with both black versions being used
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:43 AM »
I would say that there are way too many of these seen to be dismissed. As others have said not all cars had them. IMHO if you car had it put it back. If it did not no need to go looking for one.

Often details are not so black and white   ::)  Nice pun Jeff just had to jump on that one didn't you!
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 12:20:25 AM »
I would say that there are way too many of these seen to be dismissed. As others have said not all cars had them. IMHO if you car had it put it back. If it did not no need to go looking for one.

Often details are not so black and white   ::)  Nice pun Jeff just had to jump on that one didn't you!
Marty
Marty, I hope you didn't misunderstand my post to suggest dismissing the white separator . I have seen many also but just a small fraction compared to the ones that didn't have them in similar undisturbed context. I have seen seldom used (relatively speaking) details like this misused is the point I was trying to make.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
No worries Bob, I agree. The first few cars that I restored I added a lot of optional equipment to them. I believe that is a natural tendency to make the car as desirable as possible. Much latter I learn that it is more important to keep the car as original as possible. We are still learning plant patterns and dates, if restorations are done with no regard to date, plant and original build they will be of little use in the future to learn from. This forum and it's members has made me a better judge and restorer.
Marty   

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
To add a little more to this discussion I ask: How many engine assembly plants were there?  It is my understanding the engines were built in Detroit, then shipped to the proper assembly plant.  If only one plant was used in 67-68, would the white separator be be used as the bin was filled with what ever color was dumped in, or if multiple engine assembly plants were used, would it only be that plant?  I hope I make sense. 
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
To add a little more to this discussion I ask: How many engine assembly plants were there?  ..............

Think 3-4  but that represents all the engines that were available. For the small block we have Cleveland and (not sure) if Windsor Would have to check the books

In any case - could this be a multiple supplier thing. Yes possibly IMHO since Henry (and it likely rubbed off on the son) hated single sourcing.

Odd that it appears to be a one year/one engine type only thing (for Mustang)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)