Author Topic: 1967 390 Thermactor clamps, finishes and locations  (Read 4369 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
1967 390 Thermactor clamps, finishes and locations
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »
First off, sorry for all the arrows!!!

I have labeled the locations I have questions on,

GREEN ARROWS - DICHROMATE
- Anti Backfire Valve
- Emission Hose T
- Low pressure PCV T stays the zinc finish?

YELLOW ARROWS - DICHROMATE CLAMPS 1-#7 AND 6-#9

RED ARROWS - Spring Clamps
   Are the supposed to be black phosphorus, Zinc, or Dichromate?

Thanks for all your help,
Travis

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:26:50 AM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 390 Thermactor clamps, finishes and locations
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
Sorry I have to ask this again - when and where was the car built?

As mentioned before there were allot of changes in 67. Think it might have been in the fall and at San Jose but can't be sure
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:26:40 PM »
I'm sorry I forgot to include it. 1967 Mustang GTA S Code. 12-13-1966 was the build date. San Jose Build.

Thanks for your time,
Travis

Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »
First off, sorry for all the arrows!!!

No problem - great way to organize and keep things clearer. Want to address the text first then the pictures of that is ok

GREEN ARROWS - DICHROMATE
- Anti Backfire Valve

The lid/cover and steel tubes appear to have been zinc plated and possibly once assembled with the body and tubes plugged dipped in dye. Only way I can explain how the whole thing ended up gold since you have the zinc under the dye on the other surfaces but not all. Brass fittings added later.

The tubes take show a greenish gold finish when the hoses are removed like mentioned below

- Emission Hose T

The protected surfaces under original hoses show a goldish green color similar to the finish found on 67- up ported vacuum switches not sure if this is a reaction over time with the rubber (greenish tint) to the dichromate dye like other items made of the same material (PVS, carb bodies ...) it was standard for Ford to require a protective coating since the bare material would turn chalky or pit when exposed to the elements

- Low pressure PCV T stays the zinc finish?

Yes zinc dichromate like the PCV 90 degree block

DICHROMATE CLAMPS 1-#7 AND 6-#9

Never paid attention to the numbering/size of the different locations - sorry. Often the new fresh dichromate is really shinny and bright when compared to the original duller look on older/aged clamps

Spring Clamps
   Are the supposed to be black phosphorus, Zinc, or Dichromate?

We'll have to discuss the locations as we get to the pictures but the springs have appeared to be cad to me though like allot of these finishes they didn't hold up well

For a bonus (items not shown)

1- The large clamp on the air filter can to the passenger side shock tower mount is zinc dischromate also. The filter is painted as a complete unit - can, lid and wing nut. Filter for the inside is very difficult to find you can make a replacement out of other appropriate foam material glued in a circle. NOS ones come soaked in an oil but they didn't hole up well to the years.

2- That shock tower mount is painted semi-gloss black and the two retaining machine head screws are P&O

Pictures next post - big game is about to start :) will get back to the photos 

If the subject was not so full of twists and running changes I guess we could do an article on after looking at the subject for 20 plus years I'm not sure if the final product would not be confusing
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:09:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:03:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
   I have everything ordered to complete the motor, I even located a NOS fan clutch. Right now I'm trying to find someone to rechromate my old clamps and antiback fire valve here in California. I cant wait to receive the parts and get it assembled so you and Bob can critique it. 

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
The next point IMHO that needs to be addressed is your hose usage and routing of the vacuum/low pressure PCV hoses

You have one hose that is incorrect for your application. Its from another application  - possibly the type of car the piece came from but not a Mustang or Cougar in 67. The assembly manuals, original cars and the MPC all show L shaped hose  you have between the vacuum T block and the PCV block normally is used on engines with out the PCV block and the bend in it replaces the block assembly that makes the change of direction on the Mustang and Cougar 390GT engine. It carries the part number C6AE-6A886-A I believe. Instead a very short section of hose  replaces it.

With that short hose your T block in place needs to be rotated and installed in a different configuration to allow everything to connect. Again this is shown in the assembly manual drawings and is found on original 67 thermactor 390's in Mustangs

Lets try the arrow thing to see if I can communicate it clearing. Your going to have to try a couple of things since I'm not there in person - maybe we can make most of these hoses work. Guess if we have to we can do a phone call but lets get this a try

First your engine with your hoses

With the arrows we should be able to discuss what is next

Green, Red, Yellow, Purple & Blue arrows

In this picture of an unrestored car we have two different colored arrows to identify two different hoses (that what you have)
Ignore the wrong carb, trans vacuum rubber hose routing, hacked heater hose and the worm clamp (for a start) some PO added to keep the short hose to the PCV block attached or at least try. Sure the hose became detached over an over again - my cars sure did. Have owned and driven daily a number of 67 390's with Therm over the years. Have other examples but wanted to stick with one at this point. This was is from a car that the shop you purchased the parts from had in inventory a numbers of years ago.

Orange arrow & Light Blue arrow

Before we move onto the clamps figured this needs to be addressed first.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:02:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:05 PM »
First subject - just noticed (going back and forth between factory drawings and unrestored cars your PCV/idle compensator block is not correct for the application. It will work though the plugged hole and the connection orientation will be different.  On and original the hole with the plug (compensator on AC cars) is on the opposite side of the center hose connection. On yours its is not. Guess it could be welded up and retapped on the correct side if need be

Now to the hoses

Though the system (at least the hoses) appear to be from another similar application I think we can make much of it work though the clamp markings/depressions may be an issue at some point.

In an effort to break this process down in understandable steps I believe I would start by

1- Seeing how much better your hose (yellow arrow in your car's picture) fits rotated 180 degrees. Think it will be a better fit. Yours currently does not line up with the anti back-fire valve nipple and the bends in the hose look like they will line up better/more like the unrestored

2- Rotate the PCV "T" around like in the  like shown in the unrestored picture

3- Try the (red arrow in your car's picture) where the blue arrow hose is on your engine. So it will be in the same location as the light blue in the unrestored.

Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 12:03:36 AM »
Jeff,
   Thanks for the photo, his is going to help a lot!!! I ended up purchasing two smog systems and will be using parts from both two make it just like your photo. All my high pressure hoses are in really good condition. I'll have to get a PCV hose kit from Mansfield mustang and then try to find a similar replacement low pressure hose from the T to the anti back fire valve.

Thanks again,
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 12:09:17 AM »
First subject - just noticed (going back and forth between factory drawings and unrestored cars your PCV/idle compensator block is not correct for the application. It will work though the plugged hole and the connection orientation will be different.  On and original the hole with the plug (compensator on AC cars) is on the opposite side of the center hose connection. On yours its is not. Guess it could be welded up and retapped on the correct side if need be.

Not too sure what you are talking about on this?

Travis
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:11:30 AM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 12:23:04 AM »
Not too sure what you are talking about on this?

I was sure something in the "translation" would fall through :(

Compare the hole for the plug and where all the connecting hose nipples are in the T block (purple arrow) in the picture of your set up and the one in the unrestored.

On your version the plug is on the top - of all the connections are coming in from the sides while on the unrestored the plug hole forms an X if all the connections come in from the sides
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:11 AM »
I gotcha!!! Since I ended up having to buy two smog systems. I have the correct one, just like the one in your photo. Its color is supposed to be chromate, right?

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 12:36:31 AM »
I gotcha!!! Since I ended up having to buy two smog systems.

Oh great so your mixing and matching - sort of like me trying to make complete systems out of the crates I have of pieces. Did leave some of them together so I wouldn't have to guess, but not enough of them :(

I have the correct one, just like the one in your photo. Its color is supposed to be chromate, right?

Great - and yes
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 12:39:27 AM »
Here it is, at least I hope so.
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 01:03:40 AM »
Here it is, at least I hope so.
Travis

That appears to be it. Looks like the nipple on the right side (in picture) is the smaller size for the smaller (to PCV) dia hose
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 12:45:03 AM »
I realize this isn't 100% correct but I thought the hoses were.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn