Author Topic: 1967 390 engine bracket questions  (Read 6916 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
1967 390 engine bracket questions
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »
I have a 1967 GTA S Code Fastback San Jose early December Build. I'm assembling my 390 engine and trying to work out all the kinks. I ran across several setbacks assembling it, but finally figured out bracket locations. I'm still have a space issue on the power steering bracket. Also, is the cast smog cast smog pump bracket supposed to be bare cast? Here are some pictures of the motor. There are missing smog hoses and fittings. Please pick apart it and let me know if anything is missing or if I could do something better.
Thanks Travis
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:55:37 PM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 390 engine bracket questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »
I have a 1967 GTA S Code Fastback San Jose early December Build. I'm assembling my 390 engine and trying to work out all the kinks. I ran across several setbacks assembling it, but finally figured out bracket locations. I'm still have a space issue on the power steering bracket. Also, is the cast smog cast smog pump bracket supposed to be bare cast? Here are some pictures of the motor. There are missing smog hoses and fittings. Please pick apart it and let me know if anything is missing or if I could do something better.
Thanks Travis
hard to do using my I phone but until I get to a decent monitor-the cast smog bracket is engine color. You are missing the PS pump bracket bare steel spacer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »
On the thermactor pump adjusting bolt, I cannot see clearly if the washer on the adjuster slide bolt is the funny-looking one with the tabs that run inside the slotted hole. I'm not sure how to describe it clearly but it isn't just a flat washer. In the pictures, it looks like it COULD be the correct one, but I cannot see it clearly.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
On the thermactor pump adjusting bolt, I cannot see clearly if the washer on the adjuster slide bolt is the funny-looking one with the tabs that run inside the slotted hole. I'm not sure how to describe it clearly but it isn't just a flat washer. In the pictures, it looks like it COULD be the correct one, but I cannot see it clearly.
Look at page 185 of this section of the AMK catalog - http://www.amkproducts.com/Catalog_PDF/177-189.pdf AMK stock number B-13080, Ford part number 380626-S8
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
- Where the water hoses (heater and radiator) connected would not have been originally painted. Instead masks were placed over the hose attachment points

- Looks like the Thermactor pump adjustment bolt washer has the ears one in one out - good :)

- Face (surface facing forward once installed) of the rear cast bod was natural not painted. Appears in #2 and #5 sections are black

........the cast smog bracket is engine color. ...........

+1 including those mounting bolts that hold it to the engine block
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:05:30 PM »
J_Speegle,

- Face (surface facing forward once installed) of the rear cast bod was natural not painted. Appears in #2 and #5 sections are black

Not sure what you are talking about.
So, I need to paint the smog cast bracket blue?

are the bolts for the cast bracket need to be painted blue?

Thanks
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:30:30 PM »
J_Speegle,

Not sure what you are talking about.

Front face would have been machined after paint so you would not have these tail-tail signs of black paint here and there on the face

So, I need to paint the smog cast bracket blue?

are the bolts for the cast bracket need to be painted blue?

Yes and Yes
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Hi Travis, I have this same engine but with air also. The thermactor system is complete and operating with vanes in the pump let me know if can help. Where did you get the hose from the air filter to air pump, is it new ?  Is there any decals that go on the carb air cleaner for this engine ? Thanks Paul.    My air pump does have the washer with two tabs one in and one out.  To the best of our knowledge my car is a 26,000 mile Dearborn built 390.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:41:18 AM by preaction »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline preaction

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »
April 28 Build, Dearborn.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »
April 28 Build, Dearborn.
Since you are striving for a accurate historical appearance base on what I see in the picture I thought I would mention that the caution fan sticker is not correct for this (and most ) 65-69 Mustang applications. A common mistake caused in part by the inclusion with most decal kits. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb on a otherwise authentic restoration IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 01:28:10 PM »
Preaction, I found the hose on EBay. The seller is Mustang Ranch in Fresno Ca.
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
Preaction, I found the hose on EBay. The seller is Mustang Ranch in Fresno Ca.
I have my reservations with those guys .They have CONSTANT inaccurate and misleading descriptions on their ebay ads. I have stopped wasting my time notifying them because they never update their description after I contact them.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »
Hi Travis, I have this same engine but with air also. The thermactor system is complete and operating with vanes in the pump let me know if can help. Where did you get the hose from the air filter to air pump, is it new ?

Remember there were a number of changes to the Thermactor system (like most things 67) and there are two styles for that hose from what I've see. Normally only available used unless you can find a NOS piece. Agree with Bob- would not use Fresno as a guide as to what was original to any of our applications. That is what the site it for ;)

Is there any decals that go on the carb air cleaner for this engine ?

Getting off thread but typically - yes at least two originally  and of course there were at least two different air cleaners used on Thermactor cars with this engine that have been discussed/argued for over 10 years  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 11:00:36 PM »
I have bought a compete system from Fresno (mustang Ranch) and paid a lot of money. Come to find out that only two pieces were accurate. I had to purchase another complete system from someone else. Actually I'm posting a pic of the system roughly installed to make sure everything is correct.

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 11:39:39 PM »
Thanks Travis
I am skeptical about the fan clutch as I have not seen that style used on 67 SJ engines before. P/S dip stick appears to be later style. 67 had printing stamped on the thumb pull. You have a 70 and later style alternator fan. 60's version has less vanes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:45:08 PM by Bob Gaines »