Author Topic: 68 Small Block - Heavy duty shocks  (Read 4017 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 Small Block - Heavy duty shocks
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
Does anyone know what shocks were used on the heavy duty suspension option or the GT option and what color identification they may have had?
Marty
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:23:08 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Small Block - Heavy duty shocks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »
For your application (small block - spring 68) brown would have been used as the identification paint daub at the bottom of each shock.

Front and rear
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:23:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:57:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff for reading my mind as to what car these shocks were for. :) 68 J code coupe HCS 6-20-68 San Jose.
Were they a Autolite shock and a different part# than the standard Autolite shocks used?
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »
Thanks Jeff for reading my mind as to what car these shocks were for. :) 68 J code coupe HCS 6-20-68 San Jose.
Were they a Autolite shock and a different part# than the standard Autolite shocks used?

Yes they were Autolite - most likely stamped with  Made in USA stamped ones rather than Canadian ones because of where your car was assembled. That would make the the rears course threaded (made in the US) rather than fine (Made in Canada). Rears use the straight sided separate tubes - since you can see those much more than the fronts likely the ones to focus on initially

Be happy if you can find either style.

I'm often surprised what I find in my picture collection. On this subject I just happened to find a picture of the paint mark from a service replacement C7ZF-18080-C  shock that used the same color mark as I mentioned above. Don't know if this shock and part number carried over to late 68 but at least it provides a clue as to tine and tone of the brown used on possibly some of the original shocks used on your car. This happens to be a Made in Canada shock - the reason for the fine threads

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:07:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:51:14 AM »
Was there any difference in these shocks for mid year cars?
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »
Was there any difference in these shocks for mid year cars?

Tim are you asking about your car or just in general mid year GT and HD suspension small blocks?

Since you list your car as not a GT J code the shocks and markings likely would not apply unless you have something suggesting that it came with the upgraded suspension for some reason
Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »
My car has HD suspension, with yellow and pink (? Or grey?) Front springs, and single green marked sway bar on front, and the AU rear spring. I have replacement shocks all round. It also looks like the rear shock plates were modded at some stage (for lowering?).
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:18:07 PM »
Thanks Tim just clarifying

My car has HD suspension, with yellow and pink ..... Front springs,

Could the pink be violet? - That would match the front springs I see listed but that example is a fastback could be different

and single green marked sway bar on front,

Normally that would have been green and yellow (from other examples with the same suspension. Maybe your got lost over time

As for the shock marks - have brown being called out back to Nov 67 on related buildsheets
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:18:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:35:29 PM »
Could be violet.

I have looked over the sway bar a few times. I will have another look later today. Took this one last night in a cramped garage.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »
Could be violet.

I have looked over the sway bar a few times. I will have another look later today. Took this one last night in a cramped garage.

Colors in posted pictures can take on such a different look so we'll rely on you in person description and it doesn't look lavender.   In my monitor the sway bar mark almost looks blue. And a single blue is a mark for a different sway bar. Good that we've got you looking at it to clarify that detail :) Never got around to cleaning my J code GT suspension parts - just sitting in a warehouse - waiting  ???
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:03:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »

Could the pink be violet? - That would match the front springs I see listed

Normally that would have been green and yellow (from other examples with the same suspension. Maybe your got lost over time

Jeff are you saying that a 68 J code GT W/O AC would have the front springs marked with violet and yellow?

It is interesting that the USA shocks were fine thread and the Canada were fine. So then I understand that most of the HD Autolite shock for GTs were USA made?
All that I have been able to find so far are C5 Autolites, I will keep looking. May be I'll get luck and find some USA made.

I believe that in Augusta  you or Tim said that on the 68 Shelby that course threads were on the manual transmissions and the fine were on the automatics I think. Of course those were Gabriel shocks but why the difference in the threads?
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »
Jeff are you saying that a 68 J code GT W/O AC would have the front springs marked with violet and yellow?

That was related to Tim M's post about what he found as his front spring colors/markings. But what I had not taken into consideration was body type - which was inserted in my post above.
Double checked and without consideration for body type yes the front springs on the buildsheet I have of a J code GT w/o AC  does show Yellow and what looks to be a V. And V should indicate violet on that car. Now what we are missing in the mix is the body type.

Looking through my collection I found no 68 J code coupes with HD/GT suspension. Hope that clears things up a bit

It is interesting that the USA shocks were fine thread and the Canada were fine. So then I understand that most of the HD Autolite shock for GTs were USA made?
All that I have been able to find so far are C5 Autolites, I will keep looking. May be I'll get luck and find some USA made.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, should have written (will correct) course (USA) and fine (Canada). Went back and added a little more to make it clearer to readers

Here is an example below - Sectioned buildsheet. Bottom left corner is what is left of the front spring color section. Guess I could have found a better example

According to the Buildsheets (its not common for them to list these on non-Shelbys) they show a number of C8ZF-H for the GT/HD suspension shocks. So that should give you some info to go on.

The difference I believe is based on where the car was built and in turn where that plant got the majority/or all of their supply from. From looking at allot of cars it appears San Jose Mustangs got the Made in USA shocks and in turn course threaded rear shocks.  This came up years ago when a friend complained that MCA had approved some repo shocks (back in the old days when they did that sort of thing) and "they are all wrong"  it was reported. It basically came down to we were use to seeing shocks in the west marked Made in USA and with course threads and the person reproducing the shocks choose a shock that was typical shock that was seen on cars in the eastern US.

Some home work was done and that was the conclusion that seemed to give logic to what had happened and the difference of opinion.

I believe that in Augusta  you or Tim said that on the 68 Shelby that course threads were on the manual transmissions and the fine were on the automatics I think. Of course those were Gabriel shocks but why the difference in the threads?

Now we're getting a bit off topic bringing in Shelby's since they often but not always used different shocks on these cars. By 68 adjustable Gabriel's were being made at one of their Canadian plants rather than the US plant as they had done in 1966. In 68 - only the 4 speed KR's got a different non- adjustable. Instead a "regular" semi-gloss black non-adjustable Autolite shock.

On 68 KR 4 speed cars the build sheet simply calls out an Orange identification mark while the non-4 speeds have a stamping number identifier in that box indicating the adjustable style
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:06:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 02:20:03 AM »
I took a closer look and it looks as though the green on the sway bar is not a solid colour. It blends into a yellower shade on one side. So it could be green and yellow. Does this still collate with the stats for a HD suspension mark on a coupe? The car has been in a collision in the front end but the only thing replaced seems to be the radiator support. What is the best thing to clean up the suspension without taking paint marks off? Would a pressure washer be too aggressive?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »
I took a closer look and it looks as though the green on the sway bar is not a solid colour. It blends into a yellower shade on one side. So it could be green and yellow. Does this still collate with the stats for a HD suspension mark on a coupe?

Yes the sway bar does not change based on body type.

What is the best thing to clean up the suspension without taking paint marks off? Would a pressure washer be too aggressive?

Degrease what you need to (carefully) - no carb cleaner !!   From there I think most will agree with a bath of evapo - rust will serve you well
Jeff Speegle