Author Topic: Everyone with a 68 289 engine !  (Read 4766 times)

Offline mhubert89

Everyone with a 68 289 engine !
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
hi !

i just finish to restore my 289 and paint it ! Can everybody with a 68 289 can post a picture of there engine please !!! Just want to take a look at the detailling, sticker place ect !!

thanks !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline stangfan

Re: Everyone with a 68 289 engine !
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:01:28 PM »
Here's mine.  It's a 68 GT/CS, so it is a San Jose car.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »
Don't think you want to use a repainted or restored car for this purpose. Too many chances of copying non- factory details.

- - - - -

Will try and focus on cars around #180000 with PS & thermactor no AC
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:47:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:23:40 PM »
Don't think you want to use a repainted or restored car for this purpose. Too many chances of copying non- factory details.

stangfan's example above is an example of this since he choose to take liberties away from how the factory did things. Not picking on anyone just taking the opportunity to point out how easy this can all happen and will not "pick it apart" since that is not the purpose of his post. Will find and post some unrestored examples and you'll need to ask specific from there

Will try and focus on cars around #180000

yes will be fine if you have picture of a original engine like mine..68 289 , april 16th, no a/c, power steering ford !
thanks again !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »
From that period and plant.

The decals are the easy ones All the specific details will take more time I anticipate as you figure out what you need ;)

Engine decals

Cubic inch - top front of the air cleaner lid
Air filter replacement AUTOLITE - driver side of the air cleaner base. Not sure one for your car is currently available
Emission - on drivers side valve cover

Service decal - passenger side shock tower.
Battery check- not shown. Above or forward of the starter relay - bottom left corner of the picture.  This is/was a Thermactor car - pump and other parts have been removed

Basic stuff in the engine compartment (others sill surely jump in if I stumble or just to add to)

-Engine compartment walls below the firewall to cowl pinch weld are semi-gloss black. Top edge of the rear inner fenders (black over body color) is normally a pretty sharp edge. Have found (when painters came up short) brush marks with black paint along this back edge.

-No bolts were installed so no painted bolts. 

MCA publishes a list of all the "larger" details in their judging rules if your a member.

-Firewall sealant around all (well that was the target) things attaching to or passing through the firewall EXCEPT the ground wire and attaching screw. So around the master cylinder, all electrical, over brake brackets and screws, around heater and hoses......

-Thermactor bracket (on engine) was attached before the engine was painted as was the valve bracket, head tubing and hardware.

-Master cylinder with cap on painted semi-gloss black as a unit. Small plugs (not as large as the machined surface they sit in) produced a paint shadow around where the brake lines would attach

-Bypass (water pump to intake) hose and clamps painted with engine.

-Wire hoses and matching radiator hoses are (as I understand it) what is expected.

-Upper front shock mounts were phosphate and oil like the hood latch and the hood hinges

-Can't recall at the moment if Dearborn started the use of slop colors on brackets in the engine compartment and front end in 68

-Pulleys are spray painted semi-gloss black - normally slightly different tints

Well that's a start - ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline stangfan

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 01:01:59 PM »
First off, I didn't represent my car as being concours or restored.  It is simply a casual show car/driver.  The engine bay has been redone, but NOT to try for MCA judging.  My mechanic repainted the engine after he reassembled it.  I'm sure there are many details that are not correct.  I did however research the decal placement.  mhubert89 was asking about decals and that is what I attempted to help him with.  Sorry for any confusion.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline Dudley

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
Here's mine.  It's a 68 GT/CS, so it is a San Jose car.
That is a beautiful engine bay, correct or not. I thought about adding pictures of mine, but I can't improve upon what has already been presented and it would only be another SJ example.  Jeff's one comment is a slight pet peeve of mine when I see the fender bolts (and a few other locations as well) painted body color.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline stangfan

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
That is a beautiful engine bay, correct or not. I thought about adding pictures of mine, but I can't improve upon what has already been presented and it would only be another SJ example.  Jeff's one comment is a slight pet peeve of mine when I see the fender bolts (and a few other locations as well) painted body color.

Thanks Dudley.  I won't post pictures anymore.  I know there are incorrect details.  It's not concours and I know it.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline Dudley

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
Thanks Dudley.  I won't post pictures anymore.  I know there are incorrect details.  It's not concours and I know it.
Your pictures are great, including the crispness of the photographic image and lighting. Got any views from the underside to share?  Also looks like you have correct fender bolt finish.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
Forgot the engine ID decal :(

- You'll also want to have stamped the coil (with appropriate date)  and alternator.

- PS pump is painted completely assembled (front pump, reservoir, ID metal tag and rear retaining nut) as a unit

- PS pulley semi- gloss black with the front small face bare steel

stangfan PM sent
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:32:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dudley

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 04:35:59 PM »
Jeff, The engine ID decal is the one found on the end of the valve cover?  I read somewhere that this sticker was to be removed by the dealer prior to delivery to the customer. Is this correct? There is a remnant of the one on my engine with only the degree symbal remaining from the original printed data. Durability was not the decal's strong point?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »
Jeff, The engine ID decal is the one found on the end of the valve cover?  I read somewhere that this sticker was to be removed by the dealer prior to delivery to the customer. Is this correct?

Yes that is the one - and no dealers were not directed to remove them from what I've seen and read.

Never seen anything from Ford suggesting that they be removed - not sure why they would instruct them to.

There is a remnant of the one on my engine with only the degree symbol remaining from the original printed data. Durability was not the decal's strong point?

Have tons of original cars with them still in place. Like many of the decals (in this case paper with a clear film overlay) there was no great application after their planned purpose on the assembly line. Sort of like the battery inspection sticker in purpose. The aluminum tag provides the same info for the long term for the service department usage. The paper sticker was easier and quicker to make out on the line. 

Think some may make up reasons for why theirs (on an other wise nice original car) is missing. Ford rarely cared about the cosmetic details in the engine compartment or trunks like they did on the exterior and interior.

In later years they changed to a vinyl sticker that held up much better.

What remains of yours are on the drivers side front face of that valve cover - correct?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:19:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dudley

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 06:59:16 PM »
Thank you Jeff, yes the remains are on the driver left front valve cover. I thought I had a good view of what remains, but I don't. Almost have to use your imagination to see it in the pictures, wasn't a big interest at the time when I snapped the pictures.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:01:24 PM by Dudley »

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »
From that period and plant.

The decals are the easy ones All the specific details will take more time I anticipate as you figure out what you need ;)

Engine decals

Cubic inch - top front of the air cleaner lid
Air filter replacement AUTOLITE - driver side of the air cleaner base. Not sure one for your car is currently available
Emission - on drivers side valve cover

Service decal - passenger side shock tower.
Battery check- not shown. Above or forward of the starter relay - bottom left corner of the picture.  This is/was a Thermactor car - pump and other parts have been removed

Basic stuff in the engine compartment (others sill surely jump in if I stumble or just to add to)

-Engine compartment walls below the firewall to cowl pinch weld are semi-gloss black. Top edge of the rear inner fenders (black over body color) is normally a pretty sharp edge. Have found (when painters came up short) brush marks with black paint along this back edge.

-No bolts were installed so no painted bolts. 

MCA publishes a list of all the "larger" details in their judging rules if your a member.

-Firewall sealant around all (well that was the target) things attaching to or passing through the firewall EXCEPT the ground wire and attaching screw. So around the master cylinder, all electrical, over brake brackets and screws, around heater and hoses......

-Thermactor bracket (on engine) was attached before the engine was painted as was the valve bracket, head tubing and hardware.

-Master cylinder with cap on painted semi-gloss black as a unit. Small plugs (not as large as the machined surface they sit in) produced a paint shadow around where the brake lines would attach

-Bypass (water pump to intake) hose and clamps painted with engine.

-Wire hoses and matching radiator hoses are (as I understand it) what is expected.

-Upper front shock mounts were phosphate and oil like the hood latch and the hood hinges

-Can't recall at the moment if Dearborn started the use of slop colors on brackets in the engine compartment and front end in 68

-Pulleys are spray painted semi-gloss black - normally slightly different tints

Well that's a start - ;)

that was i am looking for !! thanks a lot for your times , very appreciate !!

Math
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed