Author Topic: 68 289 air cleaner nuts & interior color !!  (Read 4996 times)

Offline mhubert89

Re: 68 289 air cleaner nuts & interior color !!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 08:12:20 PM »
As this car is in Canada, two questions: did an Export car have different smog requirements; what is the DSO on this car?
Jim

the car come from usa, i dont have a smog systeme on it  ! built in dearborn for the DSO 2743, dealer from sault ste marie, MI !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Online jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 12:32:06 AM »
the car come from usa, i dont have a smog systeme on it  ! built in dearborn for the DSO 2743, dealer from sault ste marie, MI !
The DSO is a two digit code that indicates the district where the car was intended to be delivered. Canada had its own that starter with a "B". If a car was to be built for a customer with special requirements, paint usually, the DSO included a four digit addition, that makes it six digits now, that was the special order number and the DSO. You indicated a four which is strange, the 27 by itself would be Cincinnati, the 43 would be Milwaukee. Together they don't make sense. Sault Ste. Marie would probable be under the Detroit DSO, 33.
Have you considered a Marti Report? It may give some clues to your car and the questions you've asked?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 05:34:56 AM »

Most Thermactor systems were removed by PO's over the years though if it was there there will normally be signs and indicators of the system. Heads, alternator bracket, mismatched pulleys ......

Could that be the dealer ID number from the Marti rather than the DSO from (for example) we see stamped on the door tag.

If the dealer was in the US then federal laws and requirements would have been followed.

Of course you might be looking for a Thermactor system on a IMCO system car. As mentioned before it depends on the engine and transmission type that year.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dudley

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »
I took some pictures today to get a better view than what I had already  posted and realized that my previous pictures were not taken with very good light. Looks more like blue without a black spray, though there is a slight darkening which might be from normal use, or backfire as Jeff had theorized?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:47:47 PM by Dudley »
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 09:15:49 PM »
I took some pictures today to get a better view than what I had already  posted and realized that my previous pictures were not taken with very good light. Looks more like blue without a black spray, though there is a slight darkening which might be from normal use, or backfire as Jeff had theorized?

Can't tell as well as you can in person but that outer ring bottom sure looks like black paint under the blue. Backfire would look heavier around the opening (carb area) and less outboard unless ti was flooded and then popped - not a typical chain of events IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 10:33:22 AM »
The DSO is a two digit code that indicates the district where the car was intended to be delivered. Canada had its own that starter with a "B". If a car was to be built for a customer with special requirements, paint usually, the DSO included a four digit addition, that makes it six digits now, that was the special order number and the DSO. You indicated a four which is strange, the 27 by itself would be Cincinnati, the 43 would be Milwaukee. Together they don't make sense. Sault Ste. Marie would probable be under the Detroit DSO, 33.
Have you considered a Marti Report? It may give some clues to your car and the questions you've asked?
Jim

hi , i have a marty report...i send one copy to J_Speegle in a another treat beacause i can post it with a large view !

my marty report said :

DSO ITEM 2743
DEALER  43K632
             SOO MOTORS INC
            638 RIDGE STREET
             SAULT STE MARIE MI 49783

SERIAL NUMBER 8F02C176647
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »
hi , i have a marty report...i send one copy to J_Speegle in a another treat beacause i can post it with a large view !

my marty report said :........

The "DSO Item" listed in the Marti report is different from the DSO - region that it was ordered through that one would find on the door tag I believe. Lots of coding and info in that little strip of numbers and letters Fords records contain - Kevin knows the difference and all the reasons for each.
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 12:33:30 AM »
Jim

The first two digits of the dealer code are the district number. In this case, the dealer ID is "43K632", so the DSO is 43. The item number is just a sequential number for vehicles ordered within that district for that model year. In this case, the 2,743rd vehicle in DSO 43. Just a coincidence that "43" appears in both numbers.

It does seem odd that Sault Ste. Marie would be in the Milwaukee district, but anything goes when you're dealing with Yoopers.  ;D
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 12:37:57 AM »
The first two digits of the dealer code are the district number. In this case, the dealer ID is "43K632", so the DSO is 43. The item number is just a sequential number for vehicles ordered within that district for that model year. In this case, the 2,743rd vehicle in DSO 43. Just a coincidence that "43" appears in both numbers.

Believe the question related to the #2743  but been wrong before   ::)  Take notice of reply #15
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »
Believe the question related to the #2743  but been wrong before   ::)  Take notice of reply #15

In reply #15, mhubert equated the DSO item number 2743 with the dealer location in Sault Ste. Marie, which is not the correct association. Jim tried to sort it out but didn't quite have it right. Your answer that the item number and the DSO number are different is correct, of course. My intent was to provide a more comprehensive explanation of the difference between the two numbers, and to highlight that the district number is part of the dealer number for those who were unaware of the fact.

What's funny is, the whole discussion of original delivery location and whether the car was built with smog equipment is all based on a misinterpretation of Dudly's comment about "California smog". He was making a joke about actual smog in the California air being the source of the black in the air cleaner. But we're so used to using "smog" as shorthand for "emission reduction equipment" that we started discussing the connection (or lack thereof) between emissions equipment and the air cleaner interior.

By the way, I found the attached scan of a 1966 owner's manual (model unspecified) showing the Milwaukee DSO included the UP. Graphic is from http://66ford.fordregistries.com Maybe this could be reposted into a more appropriate location for future reference?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.