Author Topic: 68 San Jose - Hood Vent Painting  (Read 1411 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 San Jose - Hood Vent Painting
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
I found this SJ 12-06-67  27K unrestored car at the Tucson national MCA show. It's hood vents had the bottom nut painted I think to hold the hook on the stud while painting.  As I looked closed it appears that the inner grill may have been installed at the time of painting because the tinnerman nuts are painted.
Has anyone seen this?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:11:05 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: Hood Vent Painting
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
Marty,

Was the mustang a 68 6-cyl coupe? If so, Jeff and I took 100s of pictures of the car several years ago in Oklahoma. Lots of detail markings from the factory on that mustang.

Based on the "strike" picture gallery, the turn signal grilles sat horizontal on a painting frame with the stone guard so I am less inclined to believe the nut was used to hold the grille when painted. But then again with high pressure painting, maybe they did need to hold the light part to the frame! I agree with you that the flat nuts appear to be painted for this car. Hopefully, Jeff will find some reasonable pictures since he is the king of  pictures and San Jose cars.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »
It's hood vents had the bottom nut painted I think to hold the hook on the stud while painting.  As I looked closed it appears that the inner grill may have been installed at the time of painting because the tinnerman nuts are painted.
Has anyone seen this?

Yes, outboard nut is painted body color on SJ cars I own.  Only have two cars to look at, most of mine are CJ or Shelby, so no turn signal hood.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »
The unrestored ones I've seen are painted.  It is interesting though that the red or black rubbery material never has paint, even when the material has squeezed out and exposed to the eye.  I suppose paint would not stick well, so valid explanations would be that the rubber did get oversprayed, or was applied after paint. 

I also see that the flat tinnerman nuts are painted as well.  The cars that have unpainted ones have always been restored.

My observations.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:04:11 AM »
Pete,
This car is a 68 Fastback that has 27K and is kept I Kevin Marti's show room.
Thanks guys for your comments.
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 San Jose - Hood Vent Painting
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 04:12:01 PM »
Changed the title to reflect the subject matter. Hopefully we won't get allot of 67 observations to "fluff" the data ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)