Author Topic: '67 power steering mounting  (Read 4441 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 power steering mounting
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
Should the upper(long)mounting stud for the power steering pump have enough threads  showing to allow the nut to tighten to the bracket, or should it pivot on the stud even with the nut tightened as far as it will go?

Thanks

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 power steering mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
It should tighten all the way down, not loose enough to pivot.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply...I'll make sure the stud extends past the p.s. pump bracket properly for the nut to tighten against it.

Offline roddster

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 01:14:36 AM »
  There should be a couple of threads showing past the end of the nut.  It is a special  nut.  And yes, it is a close fit.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:45:04 AM »
Couple of original examples - sorry can't be more specific since you didn't to include where your car was built or with which engine :(

Might want to add the info to your signature ;)

Basic locking (some call it aircraft) style nut with no washer which allows it to stay in place. IMHO  snug not really tight as it will go. I break too many bolts that way  ::)

7R01C1323xx

7R01C1680xx

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:48:00 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »
The stud has a long threaded end and a shorter threaded end . I believe the design was so the shorter end was" supposed" to go into the block side and bottom out and stop at the end of the shorter thread . With that said I have seen even amounts of the different possible installations to suggest they were installed every which way from my observations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
That's the problem I had....previous owner installed the stud with the longer threaded end....not leaving enough room on the other end of the stud for the adjusting bracket....had to remove the stud and turn it around.  It was quite a job removing it...finally had to weld a nut on(several times)to get the stud out.

Thanks for the replies...

Offline socalgt

'67 p.s. pump rear bracket
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 12:07:23 AM »
Is the thin bracket that attaches to the rear of the pump( between the pressure hose and the back of the pump) actually a separate piece that can be purchased?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '67 p.s. pump rear bracket
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »
Its a hose locator or others call it a clocking bracket.

Yes it can be purchased if you find someone with a used one. Make sure it fits your year and application. Allot of different ones were made

Might try posting your questions under this section since they almost never seem to "fit" where you placing them ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 12:37:43 AM »
Is the thin bracket that attaches to the rear of the pump( between the pressure hose and the back of the pump) actually a separate piece that can be purchased?
I believe the style you show in the picture is not for 67 but 68 or 69. The 67 style was a strip of reinforcement metal minus the locating aspect from the examples I have observed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 12:49:59 AM »
To support and illustrate what Bob was referring to I offer the following pictures of an 67 C code original example

Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »
I see what you mean...I've only seen the '68 locating bracket available at vendors so far.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 11:09:12 PM »
Merged the two topics since they are so closely related  :D
Jeff Speegle

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 11:11:08 PM »
Its a hose locator or others call it a clocking bracket.

Yes it can be purchased if you find someone with a used one. Make sure it fits your year and application. Allot of different ones were made

Might try posting your questions under this section since they almost never seem to "fit" where you placing them ;)

can we still buy this or only if you can find a old one original ? and wich one will be the correct one for my 68 ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 11:17:50 PM »
can we still buy this or only if you can find a old one original ? and wich one will be the correct one for my 68 ?

If your asking if the 68 up locator brackets are being reproduced for a small block I don't believe so. Because of that your left with originals which should number in the tens of thousands out there but you'll need to know what your specific application looks like. They do come up for sale on Ebay from time to time
Jeff Speegle