Author Topic: Differential paint detail  (Read 2167 times)

Offline wjgrnp

Differential paint detail
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
Hi
Would appreciate some guidance with the correct color for the Carrier Housing.
The shop has my Differential apart for repairs so I was going to freshen it up with a new coat of paint while it is on the bench.
Currently it is what looks to be red primer.
Thanks
Ward
70 Mach 1 428 CJ with AC and C6
3.25 with Truetrac limited slip
Metuchen
December 30 1969
Yellow

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: Differential paint detail
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
Mine appears to be...  rust, many years of road grime and a bit of leaked fluid. Guess I'll be detailing mine as well.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
The case and pinion retainer were painted on all sides (individually) with a shinny (not that flat stuff) looking red oxide color epoxy primer sealer. More red than we often find on the floors of some cars some plants. So things like shims, bolt heads, washers .... were not painted as you might find on some "restored" cars

Each piece was then machined leaving a bare, shinny finish in that areas. The surfaces that were machined depend on what size rear end your car has Seeing that you listed that you have a 69 CJ (thanks) we can provide some guidance and here there ;)

Would rather post pictures of originals but with surface rust and age details are a little harder to make out clearly

With snubber bracket attached - 69 9 inch application

The machined surface in the round balance hole should be more pronounced. Maybe its the angle our I should have brightened it up more

Members - don't copy the paint marks - they likely are not correct for your car and application ;)

Note - Moving this thread to the General Driveline area since the detail applies across the years - 65-73
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline wjgrnp

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »
Thanks for all the help
Ward
70 Mach 1 428 CJ with AC and C6
3.25 with Truetrac limited slip
Metuchen
December 30 1969
Yellow