Author Topic: Drive shaft question  (Read 1967 times)

Offline qman

Drive shaft question
« on: April 27, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
When I bought my 1969 Metuchen built SCJ with an auto trans it was pretty much in boxes. The drive shaft I got with the car is the right length according to the reference books I've looked at, but I'm wondering if the auto trans drive shaft is tapered from 3.5 inches down to 3 inches at both ends. If it supposed to be tapered then I think I have the right drive shaft.

Look forward to hearing from the folks on the forum.....always seem to get good information. Qman

Offline 70cj428

Re: Drive shaft question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
I know the driveshaft on a 70 SCJ Auto is tapered as I parted out a very low mileage car in the 80's and it had the tapered driveshaft you describe. The shaft also had the proper paint marks that matched the buildsheet. (I still have the trans and driveshaft, the car was an untouched 70 SCJ that was really rusty, with only 21000 miles...)

You may also check here for more info.....

http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-driveshaft

Hope this helps, john
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:48:52 PM by 70cj428 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »
When I bought my 1969 Metuchen built SCJ with an auto trans it was pretty much in boxes. The drive shaft I got with the car is the right length according to the reference books I've looked at, but I'm wondering if the auto trans drive shaft is tapered from 3.5 inches down to 3 inches at both ends. If it supposed to be tapered then I think I have the right drive shaft.

Look forward to hearing from the folks on the forum.....always seem to get good information. Qman
Yes it is tapered on the CJ and SCJ auto only. VERY HARD to come by. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »
I have an original if you are in need. Complete with yolk and new joints on both ends.

Offline Aussie

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
Hey Kerry, I thought that was sold mate.
Cheers Gavin

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
Hi Gavin

This is the one that is too short for your Holden we discussed. You went with the 3.00" one with no neck downs after we determined the lengths would not work on this one.

I have yours set aside with the radiator parts mate for our next shipping.

Kerry
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:40:13 PM by sportyworty »

Offline Aussie

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:46:46 PM »
Thanks mate, just for a comparison could you post picks of the 3.5" drive shaft?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
Yes it is tapered on the CJ and SCJ auto only. VERY HARD to come by.
After looking at part numbers there appears to be a different part number for auto (Mustang) SCJ which would seem to indicate that the tapered driveshaft is for SCJ only or at least until more definitive evidence suggest otherwise. FYI Cougar and Torino are longer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 08:23:33 PM »
After looking at part numbers there appears to be a different part number for auto (Mustang) SCJ which would seem to indicate that the tapered driveshaft is for SCJ only

That would make sense, cause If I remember correctly, the color codes on the tapered driveshaft I have don't  match the color codes listed on my buildsheet . (Standard CJ ,Auto, 70)......

If I knew where I packed it away, I'd dig it out ......

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
Hi Gavin the driveshaft in the pic above is the 3.5" center that tapers down to 3.00 on each end. It is an original 428 CJ Automatic shaft. The longer one set aside for you is a straight 3.00.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-driveshaft