Author Topic: 67 PS Control Valve  (Read 7065 times)

Offline Deuce

67 PS Control Valve
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
Power steering control valve has developed a steady leak, beyond a few drips on the garage floor.  With as many miles as this car has, it's doubtful that the control valve is the original part.  Car is an early 67 with 1/4" pressure line fitting.  NPD for one, offers new and rebuilt units and also a control valve rebuild kit.

Any experiences or preferences?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:37:45 AM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 PS Control Valve
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
Stangerssite.com will rebuild yours or exchange it. Probably cannot beat the pricing either

http://www.stangerssite.com/CVrebuilding.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:44:52 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:58:02 AM »
he's good but slow on turnaround. i send my stuff to roger rode inn galion ohio.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
he's good but slow on turnaround. i send my stuff to roger rode inn galion ohio.
I met Roger in Columbus at the Swap Meet...a really nice guy and has a great understanding of the Concours aspect of restoration. +1 Great choice also.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
If you're mechanically inclined you can rebuild that control valve your self. The rebuild kit comes with instructions.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
If you're mechanically inclined you can rebuild that control valve your self. The rebuild kit comes with instructions.
With that said ,the instructions do not cover the many different possible obstacles conditions that can present themselves during a rebuild. You may be lucky and not run into any obstacles. My suggestion would be to let the people (Roger Rodes) who have already gone through the learning curve do it. That is unless you just want to do to know you can do it. I know I can and have done it . I don't want to ANY more    ::)  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Deuce

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »
As old as that valve is, I am guessing it will need some deep cleaning, machine work and burnishing in addition to the seal kit & rebuild kit. I like the idea of sending it off to a professional shop.  And I especially like the idea of removing, repairing & replacing just once.

BTDT with other component rebuilds and I know that learning curve!

Thanks!
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:36:04 AM »
Does someone have his email/website?
I searched on google, but only found his phone number.
Thanks for the help.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:13 AM »
Does someone have his email/website?
I searched on google, but only found his phone number.
Thanks for the help.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
I do not think he has a website or email just the phone number.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »
I have more info for Roger Rodes. I picked a flyer (with current charges for 2015)  handed out in Columbus a few weeks ago. PRICES subject to change.

Rode's Restoration
419-468-5182
1406 Lohr Road
Galion, Oh 44833

www.rodesrestoration.com    (NOTE: Website doesn't come up when searched 4/15/2015)

His flyer states " '64-'73 Mustang components serviced" and lists control valves, pumps, slave cylinders (resealed or also rewelded w/new rod), steer gears etc. "components serviced" means Roger rebuilds them as needed replacing everything known to be problematic with reliable used and new seals or seal kits.
If your core is damaged and you need it rebuilt keep in mind that "prices are subject to change" and your old original part may NOT be rebuildable at the basic charge. Roger has a large inventory of used parts, so a call would be the best option to determine what way he can be the most help for your specific needs or wishes.

Rogers hoses ARE NOT CONCOURS CORRECT, they are a high quality reproduction hose though.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:44:15 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
 In my opinion, I like to do as much as i can when it comes to restoration work. Not only is it rewarding but if you are "picky" like I am, you can only complain to yourself!  ;) Plus you get to understand that aspect of the part and how it works. I bought an NOS rebuild kit/parts and used the Ford manuals and had no issues. Still working excellent after 15 years. Ofcourse there have been low miles/usage on the part. ;) Ultimately it depends on taking the chance and getting your hands dirty. If this were a cruddy,rusty PS valave from a salvage yard, then maybe look to a professional rebuild.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
In my opinion, I like to do as much as i can when it comes to restoration work. Not only is it rewarding but if you are "picky" like I am, you can only complain to yourself!  ;) Plus you get to understand that aspect of the part and how it works. I bought an NOS rebuild kit/parts and used the Ford manuals and had no issues. Still working excellent after 15 years. Of course there have been low miles/usage on the part. ;) Ultimately it depends on taking the chance and getting your hands dirty. If this were a cruddy,rusty PS valave from a salvage yard, then maybe look to a professional rebuild.
As I stated earlier if you're mechanically inclined you can probally do the job your self even if it's rusty and cruddy. It just a matter of more cleaning.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 04:58:20 PM »
I am rebuilding mine myself too. I've been there, done that before. I would only exchange it if "down time" is an issue like it had been in times past. Today, I have had my early '67 (1/4" pressure hose fitting) all apart, cleaned and ready to refinish the individual parts/pieces close as I can to Concours...before reassembling it. I've noticed many rebuilders only work on the outside finish in a form of "signature" style that identifies the rebuild as "Theirs.

BTW, If anyone has a need, I have a perfectly good later 67-up that is available (has the 5/16" fitting). I literally "used it only 2 months" before parking the car to take the car apart for restoration. PM me if interested in more details.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:32:27 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »
I did quite a bit of searching on this topic and felt that it would be best to continue this thread compared to others and compared to creating another one.  I'm rebuilding my power steering control valve and piston assembly.  I have my original (which was fairly good, thankfully) as well as 6 donors that I picked up under various circumstances.  I used the control valve spool assembly from a donor because mine had two very small nicks. 

I used rebuild kits (more than one) from NPD.  I also had an NOS Ford kit C6OZ-3C651-A for the piston.

I used the Evaporust method to clean, as well as the gun blue for refinishing mentioned in this thread.

I'm down to three questions.

1.  The NPD crimp clamp shown in the first picture is far too wide to put on the original end bell boot.  The picture shows the new compared to an original.  I tried using two different very nice originals but as soon as I went to pinch them down they snapped.  Where do I get a correct sized and looking clamp?

2.  For the worm gear clamp on the larger end of the piston bellows dust shield, my collection had various makes/models, so I can't say what would be original.  Any recommendations, pictures, etc?

3. For the crimp clamp on the smaller end of the piston bellows dust shield, multiple originals had a very unique style crimp.  Something like a diamond for lack of a better term.  See picture #2.  Any tricks to duplicating this?

4. The last picture shows the Ford kit NOS crimp clamp discussed in question #3.  Is this correct?  If not, what do I need?

Other notes - the NPD end bell boot was not accurate.  I was able to use an original.  The NPD rubber shroud seal and sheet metal retainer was inaccurate.  I had to use new rubber - old ones were too brittle, but I was able to use an original retainer.

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 06:40:34 PM »
There are some most visible differences on the modern clamps vs the vintage type . The modern type are more evolved the dimple made into the squeeze portion was to help keep the crimp flat on top unlike the collapsed  top on the one in the picture that is rusty . If you are not careful with the tool the collapsed top is what you get. The assembly line crimp clamps do not have the dimple and are easily spotted .  The billows clamp is the same size as the one on the power brake booster vacuum hose. The described worm drive clamp was the latter style of two styles used. The many assemblyline ones had the mfg Whittik stamped on the drive portion and had Sure-Tite stamped on the band portion along with a "16" . There has been a number of changes over the years in how the exact same information was oriented or clocked when it was stamped on the clamps in various years. There was also earlier crimp style clamp that was used on 65,66 and early 67 in that area. I am guessing approximately January 67 was the changeover to the better band clamp.