Author Topic: Under carriage paint color - Strut pockets - Oct 64 SJ  (Read 1011 times)

Offline DKutz

Under carriage paint color - Strut pockets - Oct 64 SJ
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »
I was just looking at pictures of Shelby GT350  5S003.  What a car.  But question.

I noticed in a picture of the under carriage under the engine bay and frame and strut rod area are left in  red primer.  Is this normal for an early San Jose Fastback?  I thought that was all painted black...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:21:29 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Under carriage paint color
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I was just looking at pictures of Shelby GT350  5S003.  What a car.  But question.

I noticed in a picture of the under carriage under the engine bay and frame and strut rod area are left in  red primer.  Is this normal for an early San Jose Fastback?  I thought that was all painted black...

That is typical of all plants just about every year. Tons of pictures/examples

No reason to spend time and money to paint under the front frame rails on purpose. Items such as strut rod brackets, lower A arm mounts, and such that hung down got direct application of black on the front, back and top surfaces from painting the engine compartment or from the side when painting the inner and outer surfaces of the frame rails. Of course the edges were not mask so overspray went everywhere producing in some areas a soft amount of black color
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)