Author Topic: Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket  (Read 4201 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:59:30 PM »
I have a 1967 Mustang Fastback S code San Jose Dec. 1966 build date.

I see on the judging sheet that the power steering pump bracket should be natural and not painted. Though I've seen several brackets painted semi black, did they paint them at the San Jose Plant?

Thanks

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
I have a 1967 Mustang Fastback S code San Jose Dec. 1966 build date.

I see on the judging sheet that the power steering pump bracket should be natural and not painted. Though I've seen several brackets painted semi black, did they paint them at the San Jose Plant?

Thanks

Travis
No SJ plant did not install painted power steering pump brackets. I am not aware of any plant that installed a painted pump bracket in 67 (or any other year 65-70 for that matter) . It is fairly common to see rebuilders or PO's to paint everything. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:39:37 AM »
cool thanks for the information Bob!!
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
...the power steering pump bracket should be natural and not painted.
No SJ plant did not install painted power steering pump brackets. I am not aware of any plant that installed a painted pump bracket in 67 (or any other year 65-70 for that matter) . It is fairly common to see rebuilders or PO's to paint everything. 

I've always known the cast aluminum bracket is supposed to be natural, is this question/answer stating that the 2nd bracket, or the brace going from the power steering pivot towards the water pump, that this other bracket is also natural (steel)?

...and that this is true for not only the O.P.'s application but for all 65-70 year applications regardless of the engine or assembly plant?

I'm just trying to establish full clarity on the subject. Thanks

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »
I've always known the cast aluminum bracket is supposed to be natural, is this question/answer stating that the 2nd bracket, or the brace going from the power steering pivot towards the water pump, that this other bracket is also natural (steel)?

...and that this is true for not only the O.P.'s application but for all 65-70 year applications regardless of the engine or assembly plant?

I'm just trying to establish full clarity on the subject. Thanks

Richard
Richard,the cast aluminum bracket is the one being discussed as the heading of the thread indicates. The " adjusting bracket" is the most commonly used name to describe the one that mounts to the waterpump and is slotted to provide movement for adjusting the P/S belt. The "adjusting bracket"  is most often painted semi gloss black but is phosphate and oil on a few applications in a certain plants .The one that comes to mind is BB at Dearborn and Metuchen plants that came both ways painted and or P/O . Probably a supplier thing. I hope this clarify's things.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
Richard,the cast aluminum bracket is the one being discussed as the heading of the thread indicates. The " adjusting bracket" is the most commonly used name to describe the one that mounts to the waterpump and is slotted to provide movement for adjusting the P/S belt. The "adjusting bracket"  is most often painted semi gloss black but is phosphate and oil on a few applications in a certain plants .The one that comes to mind is BB at Dearborn and Metuchen plants that came both ways painted and or P/O . Probably a supplier thing. I hope this clarify's things.

Thanks Bob
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:16 AM »
Hello Richard,

Here's a picture from my actual state of the PS pump.
The adjusting bracket is indeed Phosphate, not painted (just checked).
I hope this helps a bit.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 02:42:55 AM »
Hello Richard,

Here's a picture from my actual state of the PS pump.
The adjusting bracket is indeed Phosphate, not painted (just checked).
I hope this helps a bit.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
It helps more to know plant for context . Metuchen maybe?

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »
For reference, 67 Dearborn, 2/7/67 build date.  Need to verify the finish of the adjusting bracket.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
Good morning Bob,

My car is built at San Jose (01/12/67).
I do not know which parts has been changed over all those years, so I can only take a picture of what is installed currently.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »
Good morning Bob,

My car is built at San Jose (01/12/67).
I do not know which parts has been changed over all those years, so I can only take a picture of what is installed currently.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
Although P/O is one possibility the more typical adjusting bracket seen at a SJ produced car (in 1967) is painted semi gloss black from my observations .Others may have different.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:09:46 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
Although P/O is one possibility the more typical adjusting bracket seen at a SJ produced car (in 1967) is painted semi gloss black from my observations .Others may have different.
+1 Marty

Offline Deuce

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
This is on my 1967 C-Code coupe (SJ Dec 66).  PS pump adjusting bracket has surface corrosion, likely P/O when installed. 
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
Hello Deuce,

Thanks for the effort.
Only month of difference with my car and it seems to be the same, but apparently there are quit a bit of possibility's ?  ::)
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967