Author Topic: Drag link markings - Oct 64 SJ  (Read 2189 times)

Offline livetoride60

Drag link markings - Oct 64 SJ
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
From a K code Fastback, Oct 64 SJ.

Pic 1:  Found an obvious pink mark on the steering box end of the drag link.
Pic 2:  Looks like small bit of pink on opposite (idler arm) end.  Ever seen pink on this end?
Pic 3:  "Possibly" some white or light yellow left on idler arm end, between idler arm and tie rod attaching holes.

I know the pink has been reported on suspension parts from this plant / era.  Anyone ever seen the other colors or locations?  I've also seen a K code car from Fall of 64 SJ be restored with a full pink stripe around the drag link, to the inside (center) of the passenger tie rod attachment point.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:16:04 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Drag link markings - Oct 64 SJ
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
Soak it in evaporust, all the paint marks will come up.

Don't believe I have ever heard pink called a special handling package color, what did you mean by that?  I thought the center link was the same for all V8 non-p/s?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Don't believe I have ever heard pink called a special handling package color, what did you mean by that?  I thought the center link was the same for all V8 non-p/s?

My bad Charles.  I was thinking of red on the hipo / handling package coil springs.  This was called out in a 65 TSB per Jeff.  Updated my first post.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
From a K code Fastback, Oct 64 SJ.

Pic 1:  Found an obvious pink mark on the steering box end of the drag link.
Pic 2:  Looks like small bit of pink on opposite (idler arm) end.  Ever seen pink on this end?
Pic 3:  "Possibly" some white or light yellow left on idler arm end, between idler arm and tie rod attaching holes.

I know the pink has been reported on suspension parts from this plant / era.  Anyone ever seen the other colors or locations?  I've also seen a K code car from Fall of 64 SJ be restored with a full pink stripe around the drag link, to the inside (center) of the passenger tie rod attachment point.

Just as feedback

1- Have one example (66 manual steering) that may be pink there.

2- No do not have notes or pictures of that

3- The idler marks you found differ from others that have been reported and seen for manual steering 65 V8's

There are not allot of original cars with they marks still in place - especially idlers since they were so often replaced early in the cars life.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:34:47 PM »
3- The idler marks you found differ from others that have been reported and seen for manual steering 65 V8's

There are not allot of original cars with they marks still in place - especially idlers since they were so often replaced early in the cars life.

Jeff - did you understand these marks were on the drag link, not on the idler arm?  I said "idler arm end", meaning that end of the drag link.  Maybe I should have said passenger-side end.

Thanks for your comments as always.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:40:24 PM by livetoride60 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »
Jeff - did you understand these marks were on the drag link, not on the idler arm?  I said "idler arm end", meaning that end of the drag link.  Maybe I should have said passenger-side end.

Thanks for your comments as always.

Ok got it now -

No haven't seen a center link with three markings or those colors - other than the one at the drivers end as mentioned
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 10:43:17 PM »
Ok got it now -

No haven't seen a center link with three markings or those colors - other than the one at the drivers end as mentioned

Roger.  Thanks.