Author Topic: '66 with Deluxe/Pony Interior: Woodgrain on Console Originally?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'66 with Deluxe/Pony Interior: Woodgrain on Console Originally?
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:38:38 AM »
I have a '66 fastback that was mostly original, yet pretty worn when I bought it.  The car came with the Pony/Deluxe interior, A/C, floor console, and the AM 8-track option.  Since it was a Pony interior car, I always assumed the car should've had woodgrain on the console.  It didn't however, and didn't show any signs of ever having woodgrain.  Could the car have come this way new?  I guess it would look sort of odd to have the console with woodgrain, butted up against the black camera case A/C unit and the camera case 8-track bezel.  Is the console woodgrain something that found its way onto restored cars?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: '66 with Deluxe/Pony Interior: Woodgrain on Console Originally?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
Cars with factory-installed consoles for 65-66 generally follow the rule of all wood grain for full-length consoles and A/C cars short consoles without wood grain.  At least this has been observed in several known original cars to be true for '65.

Judges mostly will not question it either way since dealer-installed consoles would be accepted.  Although, something like a console would leave little detail about whether or not it was dealer installed.  I guess if you had original paperwork showing it.

On the shift plate, if you install wood grain, be sure to cut off the sliver to the left if using repro.  Original consoles did not have that piece, the area was painted brown to match.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

Re: '66 with Deluxe/Pony Interior: Woodgrain on Console Originally?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »
Thanks, Charles.  Good to know that my car was correct.  I'm going to leave it as is.
Too much junk, too little time.