Author Topic: 1970 CJ starter cable routing  (Read 12698 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Re: 1970 CJ starter cable routing
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
That's pretty much perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thanks Scott great pictures too.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »
BTW I got my old original J-straps and bolts silver zinc plated and put the repo rubber grommets in them and they turned out real nice, from the picture you can also see the difference in size and between them and the repro J-straps.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »
While digging through my disassembly pictures I finally found a couple of routing pics of my original starter cable which Ford installed using the two shorter J-straps and used the 1/2" bolts to attached them to the block and not the motor mount. Thought I would post them for reference, the cable removed picture I posted earlier in this topic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:54:12 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline specialed

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2020, 01:11:20 PM »
Great photos  and u need to send them over to marti since for years I been tring to tell 70 cj people and marti that the 70 cable was routed on block instead of motor mounts and I had the special  70 cj  and boss 429 straps made and been trying to sell them but not many people understand this routing since no assembly manual photos show this area of block.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2020, 01:32:38 PM »
Thanks for praise and support Ed, I am glad someone agrees with me regarding this routing on the Dearborn 428 CJ's. I will again speak with Marti, as they would not custom make  the cable for me as it was not documented anywhere, so I have purchased their 48" cable with 14" loom, which will work fine but is a bit longer than the original @ 46". It would also not take much to reproduce the shorter J-straps as they are pretty much the same as the present longer offering and would just need to be stamped out a little shorter with a radiused end and with a 1/2" hole for the bolts. As I indicated previously the bolts are exactly the same as the one used to attach the ground cable to the block. Additionally I believe this routing also keeps the starter cable further away from the exhaust manifold in the motor mount area and helps prevent heat damage to the cable. BTW as you can see from the build date of my car they started installing the starter cable like this I am guessing right from the start of the 70 production run at Dearborn.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:41:04 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline specialed

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2020, 02:05:44 PM »
Yes but not sure about NJ cars or if any running change.  I had the  70 j straps made and was selling them with the correct bolts.  The 2 bolts were neg. cable to block bolts  not the rear ground strap head bolts as they were smaller size.

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »
Yes but not sure about NJ cars or if any running change.  I had the  70 j straps made and was selling them with the correct bolts.  The 2 bolts were neg. cable to block bolts  not the rear ground strap head bolts as they were smaller size.
My unrestored October Dearborn is the same starter cable as my December Dearborn. By the same I mean ~46" D0ZF-C with two hangers bolted to the block.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:38:21 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2020, 03:35:04 PM »
Yes I am also saying the 1970 ground cable bolt which connects to the front of the block and not the smaller grounding strap bolts used on the back of the 1969 engines.

Offline ng8264723

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
Jerry,
Where does the cable mount to the front of the block?  I am trying to figure out the cables.  I purchased the repro solenoid cable mounts from ED.  I saw the long mount you bought.  That looks like the pic Jeff posted of the strap near the solenoid for the battery ground

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2020, 06:05:25 PM »
The cable is mounted with two short J-straps on the block, not on the motor mount, there are NO J-straps near the solenoid which is mount on the fender apron near the back of the battery above the voltage regulator.
I only put the longer repop J-strap in my picture to show the difference between the factory short and the repop long.

The original cable as shown in my pictures runs from the starter terminal down to the short J-strap mounted on the block, the mesh loom sticks out about 1" before the J-strap towards the starter.

The cable then runs through the mesh loom directly along the oil pan/windage tray/block seam to and through the second J-strap, then along with about the last 4" of mesh loom the cable routes up towards the solenoid between the frame and exhaust heat shield along with the alternator wires and ground cable. The cable is not marked marked but has an engineering number tag placed on it about 11" down from the solenoid.

Look earlier in this topic I posted two pictures of the starter cable routing, one in front of the motor mount and one from behind showing the routing right to the starter.

The factory 428 CJ block comes with the two 1/2" threaded holes in it and the windage tray should be notched out where the J-straps bolt to the block, ford also used the same 1/2" plain bolt to mount the J-straps as was used to fasten the ground cable to the front of the block.

I have now also posted an other picture which shows the starter cable routing looking for underneath towards the heat shield and solenoid above it, which is not visible obviously.

I have decided to also post a picture of the restored short J-straps mounted back on my engine as I am in the process of final assembly getting it ready for my cam breakin run.

I trust this help you understand the 1970 Dearborn built 428 CJ cable routing as it came on my car and as Ed has indicated was typical for them although has never been documented.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:13:20 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »
Just a follow up on my new cable installation to replicate the original, this is what it looks like, I have not crimped the J-straps closed onto the grommets yet and will do that on final install in car, but all is identical to my original 1970 428CJ Dearborn factory starter cable routing and install.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2020, 12:08:54 AM »
Just a follow up on my new cable installation to replicate the original, this is what it looks like, I have not crimped the J-straps closed onto the grommets yet and will do that on final install in car, but all is identical to my original 1970 428CJ Dearborn factory starter cable routing and install.
Now you need to search threads about starters so that you can properly detail your starter so that it looks as correct as your starter cable routing.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2020, 12:22:01 AM »
Bob, yes I know the start is supposed to be all black except for the aluminum nose piece. I had the two shields and long bolts chemically cleaned and zinc plated as they had some rust, I painted the dome one, and was going to paint the ring shield after install because of the paper gasket under it and get all that at once. I just have not got around to it and it is temporarily installed now for mockup and the engine cam break-in and test run. The starter, smog tubing and other will be removed for final detailing and then re-installed before going into the car.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:25:39 AM by 1970 Snake »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2020, 12:26:23 AM »
Bob, yes I know the start is supposed to be all black except for the aluminum nose piece. I had the two shields and long bolts chemically cleaned and zinc plated as they had some rust, I painted the one, and was going to paint the ring shield after install because of the paper gasket under it and get all that at once. I just have not got around to it and it is temporarily installed now for mockup and the engine cam break-in and test run. The starter, smog tubing and other will be removed for final detailing and then re-installed before going into the car.
Gasket goes under bendix cover and band clamp.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2020, 11:31:06 AM »
Thanks, yes I used the original thick gasket under the Bendix cover and 2 wraps of 1.5" wide white/cream colour masking tape under band clamp.