Author Topic: Fuel and Temperature Gauge not reading correctly  (Read 1348 times)

Offline BoJo

Fuel and Temperature Gauge not reading correctly
« on: February 07, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
The fuel gauge goes to full then drops back to 3/4 of a tank.  I have replace the sending unit, tried 3 different voltage regulators as well as tested voltage and it is correct, put external grounds everywhere thinking it might be ground.  Any other suggestions.
'65 C Code Fastback
289 4 Speed Manual
Build date May 30/65 Dearborn

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Fuel and Temperature Gauge not reading correctly
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
That's normal if what you are talking about when you first power up the car.  The reason is that the constant voltage regulator on the back of the dash is a bimetallic strip that switches from 12V to 0V to average out 5V or so.  The switching is fairly slow, so its average right at the start isn't 5V.  If your gauges drop to normal values within about 15-30 seconds, I wouldn't worry about it.  Or...simply get an electronic version of the CVR.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline BoJo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »
The problem is that the tank is full but only reading 3/4. 
'65 C Code Fastback
289 4 Speed Manual
Build date May 30/65 Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
I have replace the sending unit, tried 3 different voltage regulators as well as tested voltage and it is correct, put external grounds everywhere thinking it might be ground. 
What were your voltage readings, and where did you take them?
Disconnect the low voltage regulator leads (black-green stripe) to the temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge and try again. This eliminates those two items from the circuit.
You mention temperature gauge in your subject but make no mention of it in the text.
Measure the resistance of the fuel sending unit, 10 ohms full, 75 ohms empty (per Fred Ballard aka flyingfred). Yes, the tank must be drained and sender out to do this. The removal also allows a visual inspection of the resistance wire and wiper arm of the sender. They do wear out on 50 year old cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.