Author Topic: Firewall AC hole dimples - Oct 64 SJ  (Read 3927 times)

Offline livetoride60

Firewall AC hole dimples - Oct 64 SJ
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Wondering if the firewall on my Oct 64 San Jose fastback would have had any dimples or knockouts for AC lines originally?  The car had a possibly dealer installed AC system with a 66 inside unit, and the holes were drilled out accordingly.  It looked like someone hacked through my firewall pad with a screwdriver.  Had the holes welded up as shown since the car is a K code and wouldn't have AC from the factory.  So wondering if I should leave the firewall flat, add dimples, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline jwc66k

Re: Firewall AC hole dimples - Oct 64 SJ
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
Rich,
 It looks like the oval ring line for the A/C lines feed thru grommet is still there so I would grind out any rough edges of the two holes making sure to not affect the ring and definitely make some dimples. You are too close to factory to not try.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
Thanks Jim, but that oval line around both holes is just where I circled them with magic marker so the body shop would know what to weld up.  There's no oval ring line in the firewall sheet metal like on later cars, if I that's what you're talking about.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »
I'm not sure if the early '64 cars had the same firewall design and "template" for A/C that the '65-up cars did, but if it did have that same design, it would be very hard to recreate that area from scratch.  I would cut that piece out of a donor car and weld it in.  I can't see any other way to get the correct oval impression back into the original metal.  And I agree with Jim--you've come too far to back up now.  If you ever want to fix the area, now's the time to do it, when the car's disassembled and the firewall pad is removed.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:31 PM »
My 66 has that oval template, and I'm sure this Oct 64 didn't.  The oval would still be visible around the holes they drilled, or intersecting them.  My only concern is if there were dimples originally to align the drill. 

As an aside it is interesting to note that ChrisV289s car with factory air had the ac holes arranged vertically.  His car is also a San Jose built a few days from mine.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
My 66 has that oval template, and I'm sure this Oct 64 didn't.  The oval would still be visible around the holes they drilled, or intersecting them.  My only concern is if there were dimples originally to align the drill. 

As an aside it is interesting to note that ChrisV289s car with factory air had the ac holes arranged vertically.  His car is also a San Jose built a few days from mine.

Sorry, I see what you mean.  Shouldn't be too hard to recreate the dimples if they need to be there.  Small punch, with someone holding a block of wood against the firewall from inside the car.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »
Wondering if the firewall on my Oct 64 San Jose fastback would have had any dimples or knockouts for AC lines originally? 

No punch out on the firewall during that period  and as mentioned the AC hoses would have been vertical if so equipped

Examples from same plant and time period - slightly before and after to cover the projected build date issue :)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I'm not seeing even any dimples, although they may be hidden by undercoating, etc.  Unless corrected, I'm going with a flat fw surface.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I'm not seeing even any dimples, although they may be hidden by undercoating, etc.  Unless corrected, I'm going with a flat fw surface.

Yes pictures are not clear enough to confirm dimples - might be some but can't be sure from just these. Might be the same lower one showing in both pictures

As another note (besides the top picture having an "extra PO hole") notice the change of number and location of brake line retainers. But that is a discussion/search for another thread.

Always something new ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »
As another note (besides the top picture having an "extra PO hole") notice the change of number and location of brake line retainers. But that is a discussion/search for another thread.

Always something new ;)

Interesting.  Mine's like the top picture, 2 separate retainers.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
Mine is like the top one too as far as the brake line clips...Jeff, what is the hole below and to the right where the master cylinder is on the top picture?  Mine is not notched out.  Also what screws are coming through on either side of that hole?  Is that for manual cars?  I have an automatic....
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »
Mine is like the top one too as far as the brake line clips...Jeff, what is the hole below and to the right where the master cylinder is on the top picture?  Mine is not notched out.  Also what screws are coming through on either side of that hole?  Is that for manual cars?  I have an automatic....

BINGO!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 05:54:16 PM »
Jeff Speegle